Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Edible Vermin Fish?  (Read 1696 times)

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Edible Vermin Fish?
« on: September 05, 2011, 05:43:14 am »

I was assembling a aquarium in a new fort, sent a trapper to grab some live vermin fishies from a local brook.

I then got a siege and a mood so the aquarium went on the backburner. A few hours later I remembered about my fish, so I checked the animal stockpile. There were about 15 traps with assorted fish in them, but the first few (the ones that were the first in the stockpile) were empty, with a 'raw <fishname>' on that tile. It figures that the trap only has a certain amount of water in it, and the water probably gets deoxygenated and the fish dies. Or the fish starved.

I got curious so I sent my fish cleaner to clean a few fish, and alas, he grabbed the fish in the stockpile.

So, as far as I know, the fish that are trapped as vermin are butcherable if you leave the fish to die in the trap, then process it.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Edible Vermin Fish?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2011, 05:57:13 am »

This doesn't surprise me very much.  Vermin fish are what fishermen catch, they don't catch carp they catch minnows and stuff.  Catching vermin fish probably acts similar to catching regular animals, they eventually die of age or airdrown.

And, for the record, vermin fish don't work for aquariums, because they'll despawn at will and teleport all over the map.  Only large fish work.

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2011, 06:04:22 am »

They've worked for me so far.

But the revelation was that you could eat those vermin fish, so even once your invisible fish count runs out you should (theoretically) still be able to eat fish, albeit in smaller quantities.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2011, 06:08:46 am »

Actually, vermin fish are now infinite.  Toady has altered the spawn code to make long-term fishing viable.  This has had some other odd results since .19, like one person caught some cave spiders, and then a year later found a whole swarm of them around the cages, apparently they repopulate via budding and hunker around their fellows.  You may have experienced the same thing, except they appeared and airdrowned?  Dunno, vermin are weird...

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2011, 06:40:14 am »

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2011, 10:48:41 am »

Interesting.  I'll have to experiment with this.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.