Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What to do with this journal?  (Read 9691 times)

The Mechanical Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Brian Steelhelm the Disciplined
    • View Profile
What to do with this journal?
« on: September 04, 2011, 09:27:22 pm »

Okay fellas, I bought a little journal yesterday because it looked cool and now I don't know what to write in it. It looks like this (the brown variant):

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Now what should I write in it? It looks too cool to waste on worthless words. Plus I'm not really a 'write in my diary daily' person, so that doesn't really run well with me.

Quote from: XxoriginxX
The upside is that I have meat stores at around 1200 units now. And the bones... oh, the sweet, sweet bones...

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What to do with this journal?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2011, 09:38:24 pm »

I mostly use mine for organizing my thoughts or writing down thoughts, feelings, or any other things that are important to me.

Just write in it anything that is important to you.  You'll start learning a lot about yourself as you start to realize what is really important to you.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2011, 09:39:44 pm »

Fill it with geometric drawings, runic symbols, incoherent babbling and insane theories and then leave it on the bus for someone to find.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2011, 09:56:55 pm »

I carry the black version with me everywhere I go, got it a bit before I went to OSUT.

Poor little thing seems to be getting a little worse for wear now, but there's some interesting things in there.

Looks like I didn't really fill it with any real rhyme or reason, but I've got important addresses in the front, the lyrics to a few of my favorite hymns and songs, a list of all the songs (by number) in the new LBW that I especially like or that contain the word Strife, some generic army notes, a description of the rank structure I made up for one of the major factions in my setting (I was using them when I ran table top games during basic), usernames/ passwords for stuff that I don't remember, list of things to do in my life (visit Newfoundland, Vegas, Discovery Cove, see a Great Big Sea Concert live), descriptions of dreams I had for awhile sandwiched between notes on tactical medical care, notes on weaponry (specifications, how to clear them, that sort of thing), the notes on M4 ammo types and the AT4 are in pink for some reason, three haikus (one about the M240, one about my NVG and why it's annoying, and one complaining about the temperature) . . .

I'm not sure what this part is. Looks like I was falling asleep while I was writing this part. Might be some alien language, got a few notes for when I was playing FF3 (FF6 on the supernes) I remember how long it took for me to figure out that bloody puzzle. The world is square indeed. Got a packing list of stuff in my duffel bags (why the *hell* do I have so much fucking stuff? I'm in a bloody warzone!), more notes about FF3 (fucking magic master boss took me like five hours to beat), Nazi German command structure and some other notes for my started Captain America fanfiction, list of the best DF armor combinations, some stuff about what is carried on tanks, some information about room assignments

Blank pages, a few that are torn out. Some cryptic scratching that probably meant something at some point in time ("5/8C?x" no clue now though), upside down cryptic scratchings with the word shower visible, more username/passwords that I don't remember, and some long division.

It's like a walk-through of the past year of my life, almost as much as my thread. Keep it like that. Carry the thing around with you (carrying paper is a good thing at the best of times anyway) jot down whatever notes you need to jot. Look back on it later.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2011, 10:14:20 pm »

I keep a journal.  I wouldn't call it a diary, because that's the stereotypically girly name for it and, uh, latent masculinity problems blah blah blah whatever.

I write down the things I think but can't say in there.  Sometimes there's more, sometimes there's less; I used to write down more "lists of things I need to do" or dreams and things, but I've started living more in the present, so it's more good things that happened that I want to remember and keep around for a long time.

I definitely don't write in it daily, but I do write in it frequently enough.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

justinlee999

• Bay Watcher
  • Unflappably FABULOUS
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2011, 10:26:50 pm »

I have always been thinking of bringing a journal with me to sleep, because when I can't sleep, my brain works at full speed answering questions I have been wondering for a while, and some new ideas. Sadly I'll forget them the next day, and I always forget to bring a journal with me to sleep.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2011, 03:14:29 pm »

Keep one and use it for non-standard stuff. Dream recording. Jotting down ideas as they come to you. I used mine as a sketch book while I was on trips and stuff.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

The Mechanical Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Brian Steelhelm the Disciplined
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2011, 03:52:30 pm »

Thanks for all the ideas, everyone.  :)
Quote from: XxoriginxX
The upside is that I have meat stores at around 1200 units now. And the bones... oh, the sweet, sweet bones...

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2011, 04:23:20 pm »

Oh man, this reminds me that i should get a journal like that too. Things constantly pop up in my mind, so many of them obviously get lost in the oblivion of forgetfulness. Not to mention all the random thoughts that would be funny to keep. Although it wouldn't make much sense, i believe most humans have a rather nonsensical train of thoughts oftentimes.
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

sgt0pimienta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2011, 08:33:58 pm »

Okay fellas, I bought a little journal yesterday because it looked cool and now I don't know what to write in it. It looks like this (the brown variant):

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Now what should I write in it? It looks too cool to waste on worthless words. Plus I'm not really a 'write in my diary daily' person, so that doesn't really run well with me.

I started making a diary about 3 years ago...do that,you can remember good moments anywhere and anytime,also,you can laugh at how dumb you were two years ago
By:
Bdthemag

Great, now thanks to Bay12 im going to go out and buy an old journal just to write occult information in it and pretend to be insane.[quote

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2011, 09:12:44 pm »

Great, now thanks to Bay12 im going to go out and buy an old journal just to write occult information in it and pretend to be insane.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
  • Edelgard did nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2011, 05:36:43 pm »

Fill it with geometric drawings, runic symbols, incoherent babbling and insane theories and then leave it on the bus for someone to find.

I'm tempted to do this now...

sgt0pimienta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2011, 05:52:24 pm »

Great, now thanks to Bay12 im going to go out and buy an old journal just to write occult information in it and pretend to be insane.

Sigged :)
By:
Bdthemag

Great, now thanks to Bay12 im going to go out and buy an old journal just to write occult information in it and pretend to be insane.[quote

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2011, 08:44:57 am »

I'm tempted to do this now...
On the last page:

"This is the journal of the Hoerkin the Mad. If found, please return to (address). Include first born son and a cut of liverwurst please."

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2011, 05:20:35 pm »

Write ones and zeroes in it until it gains intelligence and assimilates you, then the rest of the human population.
Or maybe there's a god who's just completely insane and sends you to Detroit, Michigan in a new body if you ever utter the name "Pat Sajak".
Pages: [1] 2