Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Never had a Tantrum Spiral: Am I doing something wrong?  (Read 2706 times)

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
Re: Never had a Tantrum Spiral: Am I doing something wrong?
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2011, 03:14:02 pm »

Ive never had a tantrum spiral, but it could have happened a few times. I just murder the dwarf before they can go and kill anyone else...

I dont see why other people dont just do this to prevent them? I know it may not prevent them all the time, but its better than letting the dwarf go punch the crap out of half the fortress...
Because that isn't really a tantrum spiral. A tantrum spiral is tends to be more sudden, and involves lots of dwarves. Sure, you can murder half your fortress to stop it - then half your fortress is gone. It's what they do.

However i thought a tantrum spiral could come from 1 dwarf?

Like he punches 2 dwarves, theyre unhappy bout that, and he kills one, and that dwarfs relatives are pissed. Those 3 pissed dwarves start killing/fighting ect.?

Pretty much, but a "proper" tantrum spiral gets out of control REAL fast -- you'll see Urist McGrumpypants is throwing a tantrum, and before you can move to contain him (remember, he's tantruming and dwarves seem to see burrow restrictions as guidelines at the best of times) he's gone and strangled a kitten, making Tulon McCrazycatdwarf tantrum and smash Aban McMason's masterpiece.  He kills Cog McUnluckyhauler in a fit of rage and that makes 6-7 more dwarves start tantruming because, well, Cog had a lot of friends and dwarves are going to be merely "content" at the best of times.  Then their tantrums cause MORE damage making more dwarves unhappy... 

Basically, you've both got it: chain reaction rather than one mad dwarf punching people.
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

plynxis

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh god I'm so tired, leave me alone...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2011, 03:47:40 pm »

you're not doing anything wrong - like everyone else practically says, its dependent on play style.

i've had tantrum spirals in my early fortresses, but i've developed a more defensive/stable play style so i practically never have them now. i dont know its exact effect, but i do tend to have huge dining rooms as meeting areas and i now place statues in there too. the room's value gets so high its considered legendary, hence the classic joke:

"Oh Armok! My infant boy just got impaled by training spikes! My husband drowned in a river and I had to bury an axe in my son's head because he went berzerk after he couldn't find those cat bones he was obsessed with! What am I goin- Oh wow thats a nice table!"

and their mood gets way better, preventing spirals.
What? Go away, I'm sleep deprived...

Corneria

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN:ACCEPTABLE][TRESPASSING:SHUN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2011, 04:24:13 pm »

I've had a designated slacker who does nothing but party and socialize in my past couple forts. It is really fun, and a large portion of your fortress ends up following this guy as he parties. Then he died on a recent fort. OhdeargodwhyiseveryoneyourbestfriendUristMcKenzie
Oh yeah: Nazis.  Now I lost the argument.  So you can't argue with me anymore.  Nyah.
Pages: 1 [2]