Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Howto: Artifact Non-Metal Anvil?  (Read 6529 times)

Number4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Howto: Artifact Non-Metal Anvil?
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2011, 04:27:58 pm »

The problem is: An anvil can only be made out of metal, yet no metalworking can be done without an anvil. However we all have anvils and metalworking and somehow this process had to be started by a first, nonmetal anvil. Therefore the only way that Dwarfdom got its first anvil before the existence of anvils was by a moody Dwarf who liked anvils. This means that producing anvils from strange moods is possible.

Q.E.D.
Thanks for the suggestion, but Number4 is correct: [...] it would be easier and more predictable to just be a racist.

Did somebody just rule 34 two veins of metal?

Urist McDwarfFortress

• Bay Watcher
  • Suspected elephant sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2011, 04:36:59 pm »

before the existence of anvils [there] was ... a moody Dwarf who liked anvils.
lol
Sorry, for a moment there I forgot we were all psychopaths.
Someone who has random urges to make mog juice isn't exactly going to care about the cost effectiveness of obtaining it.

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2011, 05:01:43 pm »

I dunno, that makes sense. Kinda. After all, dwarfs may like certain creatures they could not possibly have encountered (newborns who like kobolds, really?), purely imaginary beasts (such as centaurs), materials that aren't supposed to exist (hello, Urist McDuke who would like a demon rat leather robe*...), things that don't exist by virtue of not having been genned in their world (no, Urist McMason, I've checked thrice today, there just isn't any plump helmet),...
... or create objects that their civilization just don't make (thanks for the blowgun, Urist McPossessedBowyer, you earned a guided visit to the bridge-a-pult), and that might not even exist due to non-existent corresponding civilization (what do you call this, Urist? A mah-skh? I'll ask our next elf POW if they know about it)...
... why not objects that don't exist yet?

*If that sort of feature bug has been fixed, then ignore that specific example.
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

sirdanilot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2011, 08:29:57 am »

I got an artifact horse bone chain once... oddly, its description only said "all craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality"; it had no ornaments at all.

Other than that, I haven't gotten many weird artifacts.

Also, humans can also mood and make artifacts (I modded humans over dwarves so I could have a kick-ass above-ground fortress).

o_O[WTFace]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2011, 10:34:02 am »

I heard a story somewhere about an artifact bone anvil, but it sounds like it was just a rumor or a metal anvil that happened to have bone on it.  Was there ever a bug that allowed this at some point?   

ANyway its well established that the first anvils came about through endosymbiosis.  The ancestral anvils were free living creatures, by association with dorfs they gained protection and a constant supply of nutrients (iron), while the dwarves gained the capacity for complex metalworking.  Over the ages the anvils have lost their ability to live independently of a fortress. 
...likes Dwarf Fortresses for their terrifying features...

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2011, 11:11:26 am »

The problem is: An anvil can only be made out of metal, yet no metalworking can be done without an anvil. However we all have anvils and metalworking and somehow this process had to be started by a first, nonmetal anvil. Therefore the only way that Dwarfdom got its first anvil before the existence of anvils was by a moody Dwarf who liked anvils. This means that producing anvils from strange moods is possible.

Q.E.D.

You must be new. It's anvils all the way down.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2011, 12:57:47 pm »

Q.E.D.

Sadly, the first one also liked Slade.
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

Kromgar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2011, 01:01:14 pm »

Q.E.D.

Sadly, the first one also liked Slade.

In the year 3   Demon X has escaped from the underworld

Drawde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2011, 01:15:56 pm »

I heard a story somewhere about an artifact bone anvil, but it sounds like it was just a rumor or a metal anvil that happened to have bone on it.  Was there ever a bug that allowed this at some point?
I think there was a bug that turned some artifact attempts into iron when finished.  Though I believe it was fixed.

UberNube

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2011, 04:55:24 pm »

I just had a moody mason produce a Tetrahydrite Bed. Now, this would imply it isn't linked to reactions at specific workshops, but is more linked to general material properties, or possibly just hardcoded.
This guy gets it, the problem with the child torture dungeon is that they weren't set on fire first.

Interloper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2011, 07:33:45 pm »

Q.E.D.

The first anvil was made of stone.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anvil#History

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2011, 04:13:25 am »

Necro'd the thread, for this reason.

Might wanna talk to that guy.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentledwarves, prepare for Glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2011, 10:22:59 am »

why do you want non-metal anvil?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2011, 04:25:36 pm »

You can already make metal splints, that's not new.  It's in the forge under "other items" I believe.  I invested in silver splints once, because I had space tetra and already had a gold dining hall.

As for why: I want to collect the strangest things that DF has to offer, cobble them together into one traumatic fort, and release it upon the world.
Pages: 1 [2]