Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Never had a Tantrum Spiral: Am I doing something wrong?  (Read 2738 times)

Monk321654

• Bay Watcher
  • [COMPUTER_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
Never had a Tantrum Spiral: Am I doing something wrong?
« on: September 05, 2011, 11:49:28 am »

Well, that's pretty much it, actually. Not one of my fortresses has EVER fallen to unhappiness. Usually, it's either flooding accidents or wild animals. Or cave-ins. So, am I doing something wrong, or am I doing something right? (Obviously this is variable given the community.) As a side note, none of my fortresses are very long lived, so it might just be a case of not living long enough to see one.
Any advice?
This is a side-effect of dwarven animal training (hit animal with hammer until it forgets that it hates you, then lovingly cuddle it).

I'm not your average Bay12er. I care about my drunken midgets.

Corneria

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN:ACCEPTABLE][TRESPASSING:SHUN]
    • View Profile
Re: Never had a Tantrum Spiral: Am I doing something wrong?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2011, 11:52:58 am »

The short life span is a major contributing reason.
Oh yeah: Nazis.  Now I lost the argument.  So you can't argue with me anymore.  Nyah.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2011, 11:55:09 am »

if you really want a tantrum spiral, get the dorfs with the biggest number of friends, place them into a squad with no equipment and send them on a trip to the third cavern layer.

But if you are not getting tantrum spirals it may simply be because you're not risking your fortress enough, and have no sheriff/captain of guard
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2011, 11:56:01 am »

I had a fortress fall to tantrum spiral after a pair of dwarves were lost in the very first goblin ambush, so you don't have to last too long to see them.  You must be doing something right to hold on to happiness in the face of random casualties.
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

Monk321654

• Bay Watcher
  • [COMPUTER_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2011, 11:57:03 am »

I had a fortress fall to tantrum spiral after a pair of dwarves were lost in the very first goblin ambush, so you don't have to last too long to see them.  You must be doing something right to hold on to happiness in the face of random casualties.
The amount of miners I've had dead from the idiots dropping the platform they were on is limitless.
This is a side-effect of dwarven animal training (hit animal with hammer until it forgets that it hates you, then lovingly cuddle it).

I'm not your average Bay12er. I care about my drunken midgets.

BeforeLifer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2011, 12:02:56 pm »

General the longer your fort live the more likey a tantrum spiral will happen form fewer events and will be worse. A tantrum spiral early on is easyer to deal with as because you have fewer dwarves there will be less freinds because the less dwarves you have the less they will idle and the less they will socialize meaning that if a dwarf dies but only has like 1 freind it wont be nearly as sever as having every dwarf in the god forsaken fortress be a freind with him. Once after about 3-4 years i got ambushed and when i went to go get the bodys of the dead i got ambushed again-_- after they murded about 4-5 of the most popular dwarves in the fort, next thing i knew the only guys who wernt unhappy were babys and a few of my miners. And like every 15 seconds another dwarf was tantruming. Needless to say i just abandond. Basicly the longer your fort lives and the more your dwarves idle, the worse the spiral will be. Also this was my first and only one out of like 7-8 forts. I eather leave the fort due to low minerals or i just get bum rushed and i got not enothe of a military.
Any thoughts on how this can be abused?
Around these parts It's called weaponized

Sugata-senpai

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Anime Watcher+3 Legendary Manga Reader+5
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2011, 12:26:37 pm »

Another thing is that statue halls, meeting areas, and the like are the enemies of peace in a dwarf fortress.

If you have none of these (and bedrooms for all your dwarfs) then even idle dwarfs almost never socialize, and thus gain no friends, and are generally unmissed. ;)
Me: I'll kill you... I'll kill you all!!!! Mwahahahahahaha!!!...

UristMcRandomNurse: Sir, patient 137 is laughing maniacially again.

UristMcDoctor: Don't worry, if we just ignore him he'll calm down and go back to playing Dwarf Fortress.

Zaik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2011, 12:52:14 pm »

You might be doing what i did, making large meeting areas.

Dwarves have to either be right next to or on top of other dwarves to chat. Having a large meeting hall keeps everyone on an acquaintance only basis, so people are unlikely to take a hit like they would for one with a really small meeting hall.

Letting dwarves chat and make friends/enemies and whatnot gives them a happiness boost, but it's entirely unnecessary. Unless you just want to watch your fort burn to the ground because your pump operator ran face first into a freshly spawned FB while hauling some logs, there's no useful benefit to allowing dwarves to get closer than acquaintances with each other.
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

DarkWolfXV

• Bay Watcher
  • Infernally rotten to the gore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2011, 01:06:23 pm »

My current fortress was throwing lots of tantrums, but i put in masterwork stuff in meeting hall and most were happy.
And i do not know how can u die due to a flooding incident, unless its aquifer or river...
Goats will ignore your grass and eat the neighbours' roses. They're just evil bastards like that.
Probably thats why they are used with pentagrams on covers of Satanic Black Metal albums.
BURNING SHIT AND EATING ROOSESSSSSS DDOFOFAOAARRRAHYYYE

katana

• Bay Watcher
  • EVERY TIME I POST PEOPLE RUN AWAY
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2011, 01:19:44 pm »

You might be doing what i did, making large meeting areas.

Dwarves have to either be right next to or on top of other dwarves to chat. Having a large meeting hall keeps everyone on an acquaintance only basis, so people are unlikely to take a hit like they would for one with a really small meeting hall.

Letting dwarves chat and make friends/enemies and whatnot gives them a happiness boost, but it's entirely unnecessary. Unless you just want to watch your fort burn to the ground because your pump operator ran face first into a freshly spawned FB while hauling some logs, there's no useful benefit to allowing dwarves to get closer than acquaintances with each other.

I do it so there can be families. It just feels nicer to have multiple generations instead of a bunch of migrants unrelated to each other.
AND IF THIS FAILS MY IDENTICAL TWIN BROTHER WHO WILL APPEAR IN THE MIGRANT WAVE THAT ARRIVES AFTER MY DEMISE WILL REPLACE ME.
(Tldr: THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FRIENDLY FIRE SALT)

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2011, 02:07:02 pm »

Your probably working people too hard. If people die without ever having made any close friends nobody gives a rats ass when they get squished in a mining accident. I consider more than 3 idlers in a fully grown fort wasteful and find something for them to do.

Tibbz2

• Bay Watcher
  • I wonder what this does...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2011, 02:32:52 pm »

Ive never had a tantrum spiral, but it could have happened a few times. I just murder the dwarf before they can go and kill anyone else...

I dont see why other people dont just do this to prevent them? I know it may not prevent them all the time, but its better than letting the dwarf go punch the crap out of half the fortress...
THE DEMONS ESCAPED MY ICE TRAP AND NOW MY LAST WARRIOR IS SMACKING THEM ALL DOWN WITH HER DECEASED TODDLER OH GOD THE BOOZE JUST EXPLODED AND THERE'S SMOKE AND FIRE EVERYWHERE JESUS CHRIST.

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2011, 02:44:54 pm »

If you really, really want a memorable tantrum spiral, make a legendary miner with a steel pick miserable.

Corneria

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN:ACCEPTABLE][TRESPASSING:SHUN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2011, 02:47:39 pm »

Ive never had a tantrum spiral, but it could have happened a few times. I just murder the dwarf before they can go and kill anyone else...

I dont see why other people dont just do this to prevent them? I know it may not prevent them all the time, but its better than letting the dwarf go punch the crap out of half the fortress...
Because that isn't really a tantrum spiral. A tantrum spiral is tends to be more sudden, and involves lots of dwarves. Sure, you can murder half your fortress to stop it - then half your fortress is gone. It's what they do.
Oh yeah: Nazis.  Now I lost the argument.  So you can't argue with me anymore.  Nyah.

Tibbz2

• Bay Watcher
  • I wonder what this does...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2011, 03:02:43 pm »

Because that isn't really a tantrum spiral. A tantrum spiral is tends to be more sudden, and involves lots of dwarves. Sure, you can murder half your fortress to stop it - then half your fortress is gone. It's what they do.

However i thought a tantrum spiral could come from 1 dwarf?

Like he punches 2 dwarves, theyre unhappy bout that, and he kills one, and that dwarfs relatives are pissed. Those 3 pissed dwarves start killing/fighting ect.?
THE DEMONS ESCAPED MY ICE TRAP AND NOW MY LAST WARRIOR IS SMACKING THEM ALL DOWN WITH HER DECEASED TODDLER OH GOD THE BOOZE JUST EXPLODED AND THERE'S SMOKE AND FIRE EVERYWHERE JESUS CHRIST.
Pages: [1] 2