Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Military Application of Animals Project  (Read 3367 times)

S3Cs4uN 8

• Bay Watcher
  • Cancels be Kobold: Too Dangerous
    • View Profile
Re: Military Application of Animals Project
« Reply #45 on: September 02, 2011, 07:20:17 am »

In  my latest fort  i have been caputuring gobbos en masse and pitting them into a holding chamber (Aka the "Goblin Commune") from which i have around 30+ gobbos down there just waiting to have cave crocs trown down at them should be fun, (though if i get a megabeast soon ill send that down there to.)
Ala Kotraldermechebi, Hoardcounter has given birth to octuplets.

Wait What!

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 02, 2011, 07:28:40 am »

8)
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Malarauko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 02, 2011, 03:42:24 pm »

I managed to capture a dragon and tame it. Let me tell you dragon fire apparently has friendly fire activated.
Dwarf Fortress - Losing is fun.

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
  • Took joy in ‼SCIENCE‼ lately.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 02, 2011, 03:58:38 pm »

I'm curious, as to the military application of animals, if anyone has run up against / surmounted the supposed "war animals restricted to civilian alert" issue?  As I understand it, if you use civilian alerts to protect your hapless worker dwarves (I can't imagine trying to do without this feature after using it now), then all 'war animals' will also hide in the civilian burronw, limiting where you can use them in battle.  Basically, I hear they don't follow the soliders they are assigned to into battle. 

Is this a problem?

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 02, 2011, 04:44:47 pm »

I'm curious, as to the military application of animals, if anyone has run up against / surmounted the supposed "war animals restricted to civilian alert" issue?  As I understand it, if you use civilian alerts to protect your hapless worker dwarves (I can't imagine trying to do without this feature after using it now), then all 'war animals' will also hide in the civilian burronw, limiting where you can use them in battle.  Basically, I hear they don't follow the soliders they are assigned to into battle. 

Is this a problem?
I haven't ever used war animals in the way they're intended, I find it better to pasture them in front of the main entrance to spot ambushes, thieves, or snatchers. When I want them to fight I set up a bomb outside and let them loose when the enemies gather around. As long as you control where the fighting is you shouldn't ever need to assign them to anyone.

S3Cs4uN 8

• Bay Watcher
  • Cancels be Kobold: Too Dangerous
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 03, 2011, 07:01:49 pm »

Is this a problem?
I haven't ever used war animals in the way they're intended, I find it better to pasture them in front of the main entrance to spot ambushes, thieves, or snatchers. When I want them to fight I set up a bomb outside and let them loose when the enemies gather around. As long as you control where the fighting is you shouldn't ever need to assign them to anyone.

This is what I do aswell to prevent all my dogs/crocs/badgers/lion/tigers etc. from running back into my fort
Ala Kotraldermechebi, Hoardcounter has given birth to octuplets.

Wait What!

simonthedwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • ¤Death¤
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 04, 2011, 06:57:00 pm »

How hard would it be to add elephant armor?
Quote from: Syndic
Sentry towers, manned by orang-utangs./quote]

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
  • Took joy in ‼SCIENCE‼ lately.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 04, 2011, 10:35:58 pm »

Ahhhh, okay, it didn't quite click at first, but I went and pastured some war dogs out front and I see what you're saying, that if they're in a pasture, then they ignore civilian alert burrows and don't go cowering off!  So yeah, gonna set some strategic pasture for my 120 war dogs / war dogs in training.  Thanks to you, my fort is now at least thrice as uninviting to goblins now.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 04, 2011, 10:39:22 pm »

Ahhhh, okay, it didn't quite click at first, but I went and pastured some war dogs out front and I see what you're saying, that if they're in a pasture, then they ignore civilian alert burrows and don't go cowering off!  So yeah, gonna set some strategic pasture for my 120 war dogs / war dogs in training.  Thanks to you, my fort is now at least thrice as uninviting to goblins now.
You can also put them in a cage outside and hook it up to a lever inside, use a kitten or something to bait the goblins in closer and pull the lever. If you do it at the right time they'll be attacked from more than one side and be overwhelmed.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 05, 2011, 06:38:17 pm »

Do you want a critter to try next? Giant desert scorpion.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]