Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Your rig!  (Read 4338 times)

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
  • I knew you were coming. Nonetheless, welcome.
    • View Profile
Re: Your rig!
« Reply #45 on: September 04, 2011, 05:13:00 am »

I intend to upgrade to windows 7 sometime, legit copies are just so damn expensive though.
You can get Windows 7 for a helluva lot cheaper if you get the OEM version. It's basically a bare-bones version of Win7 that both works and doesn't cost oodles. I use it just fine on my custom tower.

Tibbz2

• Bay Watcher
  • I wonder what this does...
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 04, 2011, 06:53:10 am »

Yeah OEM is like £60 cheaper, its nearly half the price. Retail versions are pathetically priced...
THE DEMONS ESCAPED MY ICE TRAP AND NOW MY LAST WARRIOR IS SMACKING THEM ALL DOWN WITH HER DECEASED TODDLER OH GOD THE BOOZE JUST EXPLODED AND THERE'S SMOKE AND FIRE EVERYWHERE JESUS CHRIST.

Darkweave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 04, 2011, 08:30:30 am »

Looks like a pain to put together though... But agreed.

The whole build took be about 45 minutes, it's so roomy it's actually a joy to build with.

Yes its a bloody good looking case! :P

Wish i could afford something like your set up XD

Also, how are you finding that Phenom processor? Im thinking about getting one...

At the time I bought the Phenom my main consideration was price:performance. On average the i5 750 was around 5-6% better in games, cost around 40% more but runs cooler and has more over-clocking potential. I figured spending the money saved from going AMD would allow me to get a better GPU getting me better gaming performance for the same price. Realistically however I could easily have afforded both and looking back I regret choosing the Phenom when I could have bought an i5 and still have been able to afford both 6870s a year later. If you play a lot of games choose a GPU you think is reasonable for your budget then work back through all the other components and see if it looks like good value for money but bear in mind how you are likely to upgrade. A good case lasts years, a good PSU lasts years, a good MB/CPU/RAM setup should last around 4-5 years. If you play a lot of games then the GPU will be what gets upgraded most often. It totally depends on the individual as to whether it's a good purchase or not. It is very good in terms of price:performance.

« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 08:32:28 am by Darkweave »

Tibbz2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 04, 2011, 09:38:00 am »

Looks like a pain to put together though... But agreed.

The whole build took be about 45 minutes, it's so roomy it's actually a joy to build with.

Yes its a bloody good looking case! :P

Wish i could afford something like your set up XD

Also, how are you finding that Phenom processor? Im thinking about getting one...

At the time I bought the Phenom my main consideration was price:performance. On average the i5 750 was around 5-6% better in games, cost around 40% more but runs cooler and has more over-clocking potential. I figured spending the money saved from going AMD would allow me to get a better GPU getting me better gaming performance for the same price. Realistically however I could easily have afforded both and looking back I regret choosing the Phenom when I could have bought an i5 and still have been able to afford both 6870s a year later. If you play a lot of games choose a GPU you think is reasonable for your budget then work back through all the other components and see if it looks like good value for money but bear in mind how you are likely to upgrade. A good case lasts years, a good PSU lasts years, a good MB/CPU/RAM setup should last around 4-5 years. If you play a lot of games then the GPU will be what gets upgraded most often. It totally depends on the individual as to whether it's a good purchase or not. It is very good in terms of price:performance.

Ah right, thanks :D

My main enemy here is my budget, so unless i get a tonne of cash from somewere i will probably go AMD...

Unless i dont get the best GPU and choose and i5...
THE DEMONS ESCAPED MY ICE TRAP AND NOW MY LAST WARRIOR IS SMACKING THEM ALL DOWN WITH HER DECEASED TODDLER OH GOD THE BOOZE JUST EXPLODED AND THERE'S SMOKE AND FIRE EVERYWHERE JESUS CHRIST.

Tibbz2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 06, 2011, 12:55:33 pm »

Or i may get a board compatible with the upcoming Ivybridges, then just use an i3-2100 for now until i can upgrade...

Oh well, its rather Bulldozers or sandybridge depending on the dosh.

Anyway, anyone else?

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 06, 2011, 02:19:21 pm »

My main enemy here is my budget, so unless i get a tonne of cash from somewere i will probably go AMD...

Unless you enjoy having a joke of a CPU model, I suggest you wait for AMD's Bulldozer and seeing how that pans out.

Right now, though AMD is still marginally competitive in the lower-end and in certain special situations like Llano, desktop processors like the Phenom series (especially the X6es) tend to be curbstomped by its similarly-priced Intel variants.

Sandy Bridge is less preferable to Ivy Bridge.  The sole reason I upgraded to the platform was because my old LGA775 chipset failed spectacularly, leaving me with either the option of buying an overpriced legacy motherboard or to upgrade to whatever Intel was using at that moment.

Again, I'd suggest you wait until either the launch of Bulldozer or until Ivy's launch after the former.

Tibbz2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 06, 2011, 02:46:07 pm »

Well i will be building t the end of this month ish, so the Bulldozers will be out.

If they arent any good, then i will get sandy bridge, then upgrade to Ivy next year

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #52 on: September 06, 2011, 03:03:23 pm »

Unless you enjoy having a joke of a CPU model, I suggest you wait for AMD's Bulldozer and seeing how that pans out.

Right now, though AMD is still marginally competitive in the lower-end and in certain special situations like Llano, desktop processors like the Phenom series (especially the X6es) tend to be curbstomped by its similarly-priced Intel variants.

Sandy Bridge is less preferable to Ivy Bridge.  The sole reason I upgraded to the platform was because my old LGA775 chipset failed spectacularly, leaving me with either the option of buying an overpriced legacy motherboard or to upgrade to whatever Intel was using at that moment.

Again, I'd suggest you wait until either the launch of Bulldozer or until Ivy's launch after the former.

If that is true, it must have changed in the last year and a half. Last time I checked, the AMD Phenom 2 955 was the best bang for the buck with only the i7 920 having similar performance/price (when overclocked). Nothing else that intel had even came close.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Tibbz2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 07, 2011, 10:37:09 am »

Is it true that the bulldozers have been delayed to October?

Tibbz2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 10, 2011, 02:26:40 am »

Nevermind, they have. Urgh.

Im fed up of waiting for AMD to get their act together.

Ill just go Sandybridge, with an Ivybridge compatible mobo :D
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]