Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: A mysterious fire on embark decimates my dwarfs  (Read 11008 times)

Dochappy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A mysterious fire on embark decimates my dwarfs
« on: September 07, 2011, 02:43:44 am »

I picked a calm temperate area to embark and chose one of the presets for the dwarfs and kept all goods that were already assigned. as soon as we embarked I paused it. and gave my miners some digging to do,

Unpause it and my  leader/main miner  starts to work. the second miner is a it slower and with the rest of the dwarfs,animals,and supplies were burned by a raging fire.

My lone dwarf  tried to continue on but  within  hours went insane.

I looked over the area and found no creatures that could spit fire. No lava, no extreme heat just  a pile of bodies and supplies. after the fire wiped everything out it  stopped as sudden as it started.

Anyone know what could have caused this?

twwolfe

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes ponies for their cuteness
    • View Profile
Re: A mysterious fire on embark decimates my dwarfs
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2011, 02:53:59 am »

there was a glitch in the older versions that caused leather to catch fire if it was made from certain creatures. Also, sometimes the temperature of Biomes could also go high enough to set things on fire. Which version are you playing?
There are dwarves that are nothing but useless sacrifices - Miners are not one of them.

Tharwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2011, 07:09:20 am »

...so you lost 7/10ths of a dwarf? That must have been messy.
[Signature]

Tanelorn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2011, 07:18:58 am »

Can't fire snakes start fires under certain conditions? Maybe you embarked near a hidden magma pipe and it spawned vermin near your wagon?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2011, 07:23:12 am »

...so you lost 7/10ths of a dwarf? That must have been messy.
+1 because the word decimate is overused by people who don't understand its meaning.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2011, 07:28:48 am »

Are you playing with any mods?
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2011, 07:59:54 am »

decimate is not equal to decimalize or anything related to math  :P <- Stands corrected, thank you wise people.

Also, did you do anything to the init. file or raw folders? If you're modding something it must have gone wrong. Fires don't just spontaneously combust at the very start of embarks.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 09:37:05 am by Tiruin »

Jimlad11

• Bay Watcher
  • Insert insightful text here
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2011, 08:07:46 am »

deleted
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 01:52:06 pm by Jimlad11 »
☼Cat Tallow Biscuits☼...Mmmm...

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2011, 08:09:58 am »

decimate is not equal to decimalize or anything related to math  :P

Same roots though (and everything is related to math). The term originated with the romans and was used to reduce by a tenth, hence the name. However the meaning of words change and it's a applicable to any large reduction in numbers.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2011, 08:49:29 am »

decimate is not equal to decimalize or anything related to math  :P

Same roots though (and everything is related to math). The term originated with the romans and was used to reduce by a tenth, hence the name. However the meaning of words change and it's a applicable to any large reduction in numbers.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decimation_%28Roman_army%29

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2011, 09:34:11 am »

Thanks for the information  :D, I didn't know that. Need to edit it soon.

Calm temperate area? Right after unpausing - embark you get your wagon on fire just after a few ticks? Could you state what you brought with you?

EDIT: Just read what I wrote in this post, I sometimes contradict myself.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 09:36:19 am by Tiruin »

Dochappy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2011, 12:50:52 pm »

The fire started 3 tiles away from the wagon and continued  going left until it burned out , taking  everything with it.

I'm using  31.25 version lazy newb pack and I have not modded it yet.(something I'm looking to do sometime in the future)

I created the world with the perfectworld utility.

as far as embark items I kept the standard items you get on embark. Just added some extra food and replaced a copper ax with a training axe.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2011, 01:08:26 pm »

Posting to support the "decimate != annihilate" camp.  Really the only reason I came into here, and as for the original question I don't think I can add to the answers, except that if you have set the d_init to save seasonally and so on you might have a save around somewhere where you can trawl the very instant of departure and work out what's on fire, and possibly let it go on for a few more ticks to find out what does catch fire.

If you don't have that, it's possible you've missed the chance to identify the creature/phenomenon that caused the initial blaze, either through departure or destruction...

I don't think Toady's put lightning in yet[1], so it won't be that. :)

[1] Even if it isn't fatal, given the low-lying nature of even a surface-standing dwarf and most people's habitual clothing of them in a handy Faraday Cage of some form or other.  But I'd love to see the character screen with "has been hit by lightning recently"... "his beard is fuzzy and crackling" or at least "his moustache is slightly scorched"!

KtosoX

• Bay Watcher
  • Playing DF since 18.08.2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2011, 01:23:03 pm »

So, it's not the old world gen bug in which the rain was so hot it melted faces...
and you didn't mod anything...

Did you see the fire start? Or did you notice it when it was 3 tiles away?
Build a grid of floor grates above the entire city. Draft a squadron of masons and bomb the crap out of the city with falling constructed walls.
The Geneva Convention would like to have a word with you.
Quote from: Aleksanderus
I have clicked "d" in a forge and look what it did!

Dochappy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2011, 01:30:16 pm »

I noticed it when it started but I thought it was dust. thought maybe animals were fighting or something. then I started getting alerts that everything thing was dieing. I checked it out(now 3 tiles away) and all it said was fire.

and yeah no modding was done. guess it was magma  that I didn't see or something. Thought I would post it because I haven't seen anything like it mentioned before, figured it was a new addition I didn't know about.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4