Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: my hospital... has all my thread. and cloth. and its building.  (Read 1851 times)

Frosty_Dorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling DFer, Legendary Lazy, Proficient Sleeper
    • View Profile
my hospital... has all my thread. and cloth. and its building.
« on: September 11, 2011, 02:20:50 am »

Hey guys, back after a year or so, getting back into the dwarfing again.
Anyway, I still have a problem older versions seemed to have for me. My hospitals take all my thread and cloth before I can make anything with it.
No seriously, no matter what I set for limits in the hospital menu on supplies, it keeps rising.

Is there some upper limit, is setting X/0 actually unlimited?
I didn't see anything in the wiki about it, so I come to my fellow Dwarves for assistance in having a hospital AND a clothing industry for once.

honestly, that was a ragequit moment.  The friggin thief just walked on past and grabbed it.  There were like 100+ floors yet to be placed.
My computer struggled to load all the demons.  Then, next frame, I check the unit list....
The last.... 4+ pages.... all demons.

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
Re: my hospital... has all my thread. and cloth. and its building.
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2011, 02:43:40 am »

As far as I understand, when you designate a hospital zone, dorfs will check how many empty coffers/bags/chests there are and decide "WE MUST FILL THOSE". Even if it exceeds the limit of items you've set.

So what you should do, is first set the hospital zone and then add the containers. Then they'll fill those up to the brim but they won't fill 'em up completely with whatever.

Laurin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2011, 02:53:00 am »

And don't get confused by the numbers - those are only three pieces of thread and cloth each. That's not too much. :)

Frosty_Dorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2011, 03:19:17 am »

Ah, I see, I'll have to try unloading the boxes somewhere then bringing them back.

as for the numbers... why Toady? whyyyyyyyy...

honestly, that was a ragequit moment.  The friggin thief just walked on past and grabbed it.  There were like 100+ floors yet to be placed.
My computer struggled to load all the demons.  Then, next frame, I check the unit list....

SenorOcho

• Bay Watcher
  • Strategy Gamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2011, 07:22:55 am »

As far as I understand, when you designate a hospital zone, dorfs will check how many empty coffers/bags/chests there are and decide "WE MUST FILL THOSE". Even if it exceeds the limit of items you've set.

So what you should do, is first set the hospital zone and then add the containers. Then they'll fill those up to the brim but they won't fill 'em up completely with whatever.

The limits only check the items already in the containers, not items in transit.  If you designate the zone first, then add a few containers at a time, they shouldn't go very far over the limits (even if you go nuts on the containers afterward).

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2011, 12:21:50 pm »

The numbers are for partial jobs.  It all started with soap, really, where one bar is 150 units.  Every time a dorf bathes, it doesn't use a full bar, but does use part of one, so that 150 goes to 140 or whatever.  This number is never shown anywhere, so it's impossible to tell how many nearly-gone bars of soap you have.  Similarly, metal bars are now 150 units, but the reactions weren't updated.  So when you assign a golden throne and it asks for 3 bars, it's actually asking for 450 units.  It's just that "3 units" rounds up to "one whole bar of 150" so everything costs 1 bar.  Furniture and such can't be fixed, but the raws for weapons and armor lists the material size.  Breastplates are supposed to cost 8 bars to make.  Things are going to get a lot more brutal when Toady eventually fixes the bar cost of metal items.  Your 8 bar suit of armor + shield + weapon is going to cost more like 30 bars.  I expect a lot of people to turn to leathworking in earnest at that point.  Dog breeding will be an important part of fortress infrastructure!

I think cloth and thread has units for similar reasons.  A wound may take 1/2 of a stack of thread to suture.  It may depend on body size, a Giant may take 3 thread to suture, but I don't think anyone has testing how medicine works on non-dwarf creatures.  I've seen my doctors sometime re-use the same piece of thread on another injured dwarf, or usually on the same one who's had his upper and lower arm cut.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2011, 01:10:13 pm »

AHA, the cloths pile doesnt stop from getting taller.
Sorry, but when you used comic sans and bad spelling/grammar compared to the rest of the text (not to mention the ...), it reminded me of this comic.

...I am a terrible person.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2011, 01:17:25 pm »

Get out. ಠ_ಠ

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2011, 05:09:02 pm »

8^y

Breastplates are supposed to cost 8 bars to make.
Except actually the number of bars is MATERIAL_SIZE/3, so, they're supposed to cost 3 bars, but whatever. But yeah, back before the material sizes got borked, a full suit of armor and shield cost 12 bars. And since candy bars count as 1/3 of a ba, candy was MUCH more limited - a set of greaves, mail shirt, breastplate, helm, gauntlets, high boots, shield, and weapon, would cost over 30 candy bars.

I intend to never play WITHOUT modding the game to make it scarce like that.
Lately, I'm proud of MAGMA LANDMINES:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91789.0
And been a bit smug over generating a world with an elephant monster that got 87763 sentient kills.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=104354.0

Frosty_Dorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2011, 09:43:05 pm »

why is it when I see those intentional horribad comics I can't stop reading them?

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2011, 10:17:31 pm »

there needs to be DF renditions
Sweet Urist and Hella Dwarf

"i can't wait to be a useless pile of filth all day and dig all these channels"
"F--- I'M FALLING DOWN ALL THESE CAVE-INS"
"I warned you about cave-ins, Urist! I TOLD you about cave-ins!"

"today I put... Dwarven Syrup on this +puppy meat biscuit+"
"AHAHAHAHAHA just how DRUNK do you even have to BE just to DO something like that!"
« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 10:19:40 pm by Frogwarrior »
Lately, I'm proud of MAGMA LANDMINES:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91789.0
And been a bit smug over generating a world with an elephant monster that got 87763 sentient kills.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=104354.0