Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: All I Want For Christmas Is a Specific Bug Fix  (Read 2502 times)

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
Re: All I Want For Christmas Is a Specific Bug Fix
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2007, 07:22:00 am »

I dont care about mud to be honest. However the cleaning should be upgraded I agree. Dwarves just very rarely clean anything as it seems like.

Fedor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2007, 12:49:00 pm »

Like schm0, I really do care about a clean fortress.  Spreading mud and blood (a bigger problem for me personally) is (IMO) an unnecessary nuisance that should either be fixed or turned off.
Fedor Andreev is a citizen of the Federated Endeavor. He is a member of the Wandering Minds.

schm0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2007, 10:53:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Fedor:
<STRONG>Like schm0, I really do care about a clean fortress.  Spreading mud and blood (a bigger problem for me personally) is (IMO) an unnecessary nuisance that should either be fixed or turned off.</STRONG>

Can I hear an amen!?

schm0
-------------
Nuk: lol schm0, u r da funnay
Nuk: i lik u

Genuine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://none
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2007, 11:27:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Fedor:
<STRONG>Like schm0, I really do care about a clean fortress.  Spreading mud and blood (a bigger problem for me personally) is (IMO) an unnecessary nuisance that should either be fixed or turned off.</STRONG>

Blood looks awesome when it spreads, though   :cool:.

A bug related to this that I haven't seen reported yet (but probably has, I haven't looked at all bug reports yet) is that a smoothed rock tile will become rough rock flood again if made into a farm. This may be intentional, though.

Dreamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2007, 11:27:00 pm »

A-men, Brother!  Speak the word!

...*Cough*...  Sorry.

▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲/
◄Nothing Beats Menacing►
/▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼\

Zombie

• Bay Watcher
  • Ǵ̨̕o͘d͝d̡͢e̡̕s̷͟s̵͢ ͝of̴ ͡G͘͠a̧mi̶n̛͝g̨
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2007, 05:12:00 am »

I also agree that the mud-plague must be stopped.

Also, stopping the farm-mud from being cleaned could be as easy as tiles a "farm" is over are designated automatically as "farm" tiles. "Farm" tiles should be required to be muddy (or they'll turn red or something, kinda like the blue-when-wet, to tell you they're dry) and thus, uncleanable.

That fix idea would appease two crowds of people, too. The anti-mud people and the dry-farms-need-some-indicator people! CHRISTMAS CHEER FOR ALL! Or... most...

Well, christmas cheer for some anally retentive people who have an obsessive need for cleanliness or visual conformity. Also some cheer for people who desire to know when they need to re-flood their farms.

If I had a dollar for every dwarf whose feelings I didn't care about, I'd have seven dollars, with more coming in the fall.

Urist McSharpblade, Axe Sheriff cancels Justice: Needs more than an axe for this.

MULTI-THREADING - I'm talking about it!

schm0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2007, 10:36:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Zombie:
<STRONG>I also agree that the mud-plague must be stopped.

Also, stopping the farm-mud from being cleaned could be as easy as tiles a "farm" is over are designated automatically as "farm" tiles. "Farm" tiles should be required to be muddy (or they'll turn red or something, kinda like the blue-when-wet, to tell you they're dry) and thus, uncleanable.

That fix idea would appease two crowds of people, too. The anti-mud people and the dry-farms-need-some-indicator people! CHRISTMAS CHEER FOR ALL! Or... most...

Well, christmas cheer for some anally retentive people who have an obsessive need for cleanliness or visual conformity. Also some cheer for people who desire to know when they need to re-flood their farms.</STRONG>

Well, sort of.

It won't cure the spread of mud when you drain a lake over soil, causing those tiles to be muddied. This is currently my problem.

Also, as far as temperature is concerned, in warm or hot climates the outdoor mud should dry in the summer. Conversely, if you start in a cold or freezing climate the mud should dry a bit earlier than in temperate climates. Currently, mud dries only in the winter seasons.

Basically, temperature should dictate the start of the mud-drying. So much CPU is used to calculate the weather in this game, it shouldn't be too hard to add this to the code.

schm0
-------------

Zombie

• Bay Watcher
  • Ǵ̨̕o͘d͝d̡͢e̡̕s̷͟s̵͢ ͝of̴ ͡G͘͠a̧mi̶n̛͝g̨
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2007, 03:02:00 pm »

Well, what if we have weather off?
If I had a dollar for every dwarf whose feelings I didn't care about, I'd have seven dollars, with more coming in the fall.

Urist McSharpblade, Axe Sheriff cancels Justice: Needs more than an axe for this.

MULTI-THREADING - I'm talking about it!

Helo

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2007, 11:34:00 pm »

I've got this problem now too, only it actually causes some damage. Dwarves tracked mud across my nice detailed dining room floor, and eventually it turned to sand, which I found pretty odd. I built bridges to try to contain it but the mud spread past them. I guess I'll try grates next.

GameHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2007, 11:42:00 pm »

Perhaps a (B)uild (d)oormat command is needed?

Then dwarves could wipe their feet before entering the fortress.

(I know (b)(d) is the hotkey sequence for building a door)

schm0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2007, 08:31:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by GameHat:
<STRONG>Perhaps a (B)uild (d)oormat command is needed?

Then dwarves could wipe their feet before entering the fortress.

(I know (b)(d) is the hotkey sequence for building a door)</STRONG>

Still doesn't solve the problem of outdoor mud. I don't want my inside or outside my fort.     :)

The only guaranteed way to remove mud entirely from your map is to lock all of your dwarves inside for the winter.

I have confirmed they will only clean mud that is inside and underground.

Fortunately, I have removed the mud from my fort entirely using this technique. Still, it's a rather extreme method to get rid of it. And it still doesn't remedy the voracity with which it can spread.

[ December 02, 2007: Message edited by: schm0 ]

schm0
-------------

Alfador

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerous Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2007, 01:05:00 pm »

Solution to stop the spread: Tracked mud recorded as a thin layer which does not spread further!

That's it. That's all that's needed.

This is a fox skull helmet. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes of fox bone and is encircled with bands of fox leather. This item is haunted by the ghost of Alfador Angrorung the fox.

Eagle of Fire

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2007, 09:23:00 pm »

I already asked several times why people find this annoying, and while I do understand why they might find it annoying, I still don't get it.

Could someone tell me how they manage to get the muddied outside square in the way in the first place? From where is it coming from?

If it's coming from your farms, why don't you simply select "only farmers can farm" from the start so nobody else can get to the farms than the farmers?

From all the fortresses I've run so far since 32a, it never even came close to happen to me...

I am on a hot streak... literally.

Fenrir

« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2007, 09:54:00 pm »

I don't care about mud, but for those who do, maybe mud ought to be sort of like water. It has levels from 1 to 7 but doesn't flow anywhere. Every dwarf that steps on mud tracks a level 1 pool of mud in the direction they walk. Mud ought to dry up over time as well.

Fedor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2007, 12:32:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Eagle of Fire:
<STRONG>I already asked several times why people find this annoying, and while I do understand why they might find it annoying, I still don't get it.

Could someone tell me how they manage to get the muddied outside square in the way in the first place? From where is it coming from?

If it's coming from your farms, why don't you simply select "only farmers can farm" from the start so nobody else can get to the farms than the farmers?

From all the fortresses I've run so far since 32a, it never even came close to happen to me...</STRONG>

One example:  Dwarves walk on drained/evaporated murky pool and then track mud onto a sand or loam layer.  Everyone refuses to clean it.  The muck spreads faster than the player can build channels and grates to contain it, and even one grid walked on is enough to infect any amount of space, all of which then become new sources of mud.  The entire level becomes messier and messier and any entrances to cleanable rock layers become a permanent source of either more filth or wasted dwarf-hours.
Fedor Andreev is a citizen of the Federated Endeavor. He is a member of the Wandering Minds.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5