Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Toady, please keep compatiblity for Intel cards.  (Read 707 times)

Bien

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Toady, please keep compatiblity for Intel cards.
« on: June 19, 2007, 08:00:00 am »

I would hate downloading the newest release of DF and find out that it crashes.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: Toady, please keep compatiblity for Intel cards.
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2007, 12:28:00 pm »

I haven't noticed anything so far that would do so much as hint at the merest possibility of DF being incompatible with intel cards... maybe I missed something?
I guess as long as it can do DX and OGL, it'll run fine.. there're no shaders here.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2007, 08:40:00 pm »

Why does this need a thread, really?  I mean, seriously  :(  Having all these one line pointless threads just forces decent conversations off to the second page where I'm too lazy to check.

ctrlfrk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2007, 11:07:00 pm »

also toady please to keep df in english i am have trouble speaking fractured ukrainian ascii.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2007, 11:16:00 pm »

Speaking of which. Just how impossible would it be to translate DF, say, into Russian? I know a number of people who would play it (or at least try to), if they could understand what's being said in the game.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2007, 03:59:00 pm »

There are a lot of strings, and many of them are changed based on the objects in question, so it would be difficult to make grammar correct and so on without a lot of extra work.  Supporting the symbols used by other languages would also be some extra work.  Possibly through fonts and utf8, though I'd kind of like to stay away from font files, and in either case I'd have to drop the 8 bit display, which isn't happening for a while.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2007, 04:13:00 pm »

We're quite used to the outworldish grammar and fiendish translations of our national pirates, so that part can be ignored. (my favorite is "The sun is our destroyer now, Christof" from Vampire the Masquerade:Redemption, where "destroyer" was translated in the naval sense)
Presuming I can translate all the words in the raws, in appropriate forms and tenses, what else would there need to be done for a full translation? Is it possible to alter the fontset without touching the tiles?
There's also plan B that consists of typing in pseudo-cyrillic style, but I'd rather not resort to that.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2007, 11:04:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Sean Mirrsen:
<STRONG>Is it possible to alter the fontset without touching the tiles?</STRONG>

not currently.  though if you used graphics mode, the creatures would be represented by s second tile set, so there would be less impact.

also, there is some text that is not in the raws.  for example, all the help.  and all the dialogue in adventure mode.  and all the special event text.  and all the menus.

Slartibartfast

• Bay Watcher
  • Menaces with spikes of Tin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2007, 12:46:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Sean Mirrsen:
<STRONG>We're quite used to the outworldish grammar and fiendish translations of our national pirates, so that part can be ignored. (my favorite is "The sun is our destroyer now, Christof" from Vampire the Masquerade:Redemption, where "destroyer" was translated in the naval sense)</STRONG>

Hehe, try "Godspeed" being translated into something that translates back into "With the help of Martin" (or "With Martin's help" or whatever kind of rephrasing you can think of)
But what do I know?
Everything I say should be taken with atleast 1 tsp. of salt, and another liter of Dwarven Wine is recommended.

"I thought it was the size of the others!" said Vanon. "I guess it was just standing further away!"

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2007, 07:22:00 pm »

Yeah, there's quite a bit of interface stuff to be changed, especially menu options and adv mode text.  I don't mind putting that stuff down in moddable files, but it'll take work, and how exactly to store it is kind of an issue if you want to use a different tile set.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!