Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cave-Ins  (Read 1429 times)

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Cave-Ins
« on: September 08, 2011, 08:09:15 am »

I'm preparing a cave-in to entertain some of my visitors.

1. Is a cave-in more likely to kill what's beneath it if it contains more z-levels of rock?

2. Does cave-in damage extend any distance horizontally? Can I safely put things right next to the cave-in zone?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: Cave-Ins
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2011, 08:21:26 am »

Cave-ins always kill anything directly beneath them, all the time.  Doesn't matter how many Z-layers deep the cave-in is.

Cave-ins create large clouds of dust.  Objects and creatures near the cave-in, in the path of the dust can be thrown around and injured.  How bad that is may depend on how much material is falling and how far it falls.  I am not aware of any actual science that's been done along these lines.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2011, 12:59:25 pm »

Be careful that cave-in's with natural walls (and possibly constructed ones too, I'm not sure on that) will pass through any floors or staircases below them. As a result you can end up where this
*side view*
Code: [Select]
XXXXXsolid rockXXXXXXX
Xcave in target areasX
X____dining room_____X
X____stockpiles______X
X__noble's bedroom___X
X____pump system_____X
XXXXXsolid rockXXXXXXX
becomes this
X                    X
X                    X
X                    X
X                    X
X                    X
XXXXXsolid rockXXXXXXX
XXXXXsolid rockXXXXXXX
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

eugene

• Bay Watcher
  • careful with that axe
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2011, 04:50:05 pm »

Wait, you are confusing matters with that diagram. Noble bedrooms are an absolutely valid cave in target area.

Otherwise constructions like walls and floors will punch through floors, only difference to natural rock is that they will deconstruct once they hit a wall, constructed or otherwise.

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2011, 12:57:50 pm »

Thanks, I'll be careful about what's underneath the cave-in.

I'm using a cave-in to speed along some digging. I'm digging around a giant space instead of straight through it. The mass of rock that will fall is about 60 z-levels high. What happens to all the rock in that mass? Will it all turn to stone as if I had mined it all? Or will some of it disintegrate?

Grumbledwarfskin

• Bay Watcher
  • stilts don't have skin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2011, 04:03:10 pm »

Tons of people could answer your question better than I, but they aren't, so I thought I'd give it a stab, anyway.

I'm pretty sure, based on the replies I've received about caving in to move soil around, that no natural stone is converted to mined stone in a cave-in, and also none of it is destroyed or changes types. It just drops however far you dropped it, until it hits the ground and stops.

Not sure whether it drops tetris-style:
before:     after:
WWWWWW      WWWWWW
W I  W      W    W
W WW W      W    W
W W  W      W WW W
W    W      W W  W
WWWWWW      WWWWWW

or every-column-for-itself:

before:     after:
WWWWWW      WWWWWW
W I  W      W    W
W WW W      W    W
W W  W      W W  W
W    W      W WW W
WWWWWW      WWWWWW

Of course, natural floors left after mining are destroyed by cave-ins, so you could speed removal of natural floors that way, to avoid having to channel each square, and carefully avoid the danger of cave-ins, but I don' think it will get rid of unmined rock for you.

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
  • Took joy in ‼SCIENCE‼ lately.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2011, 04:15:46 pm »

Spoiler: Grumbledwarfskin quote (click to show/hide)

It falls in the 'every column for itself' style.