Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My archer squad will not train at the archery range  (Read 1696 times)

MrC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
My archer squad will not train at the archery range
« on: September 13, 2011, 09:21:20 pm »

I have ammo and crossbows but they will not train. Any suggestions?

Elvang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: My archer squad will not train at the archery range
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2011, 11:32:34 pm »

• Make sure the archery target direction is properly defined
  • Make sure each squad is set to train on each defined archery target, should have a cyan 't' to the right of each squad listed in the archery target
  • Make sure you have a barracks defined with each squad set to train there. Marksdwarves don't just train at archery targets, they require barracks for training as well
  • Make sure each squad has ammunition assigned to it in the ammunition menu of the military screen that can be used for training
The Practicalities of Fire Imp Defense
Tileset fonts for dfterm/telnet
Win 0.34.11 SDL with 7 binary patched bugfixes
Quote from: They Dig
I have come here to drink booze and breach HFS... and I'm all out of booze.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2011, 04:38:34 am »

Also, make sure that there is a straight line that is at least 3 squares horizontally/vertically from the target that is walkable. No channels/ramps in the way.

A dwarf will only shoot if there is a straight flat line between him/her and the target.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2011, 08:37:17 am »

Marksdwarves do not need to be assigned to barracks - it helps, but it's not necessary if you just want them to use archery ranges.

Also, make sure their quivers aren't completely filled with combat-only ammo - for some reason, archers will only practice using ammo stored in their quivers, so if they don't have any room to equip practice ammo, they'll never practice.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Mechanixm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2011, 03:41:37 pm »

I've also noticed that they train more regularly during the months when their schedule isn't set to "Train".

Try setting them to "no order or schedule or whatever it is" all year around AND making sure they're set to Train at the archery range.