Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11

Author Topic: MTG Adventures RTD - End.  (Read 10279 times)

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
MTG Adventures RTD - End.
« on: September 09, 2011, 05:06:49 pm »

In this game, you play as weak, inexperienced mages. Magic is cast through cards, which act as a sort of data-carrying medium to run hideously complicated "programs" for reality. Players will have to find cards as they travel to gain their spells. Cards are not consumables.

It will likely be a standard RTD adventure, unless the players decide to conquer their own empire or something.

Spoiler: Backstory (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: On cards (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Mana (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Rolls (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Combat (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Sign-up Sheet (click to show/hide)

The world will be trying to kill you. The waiting list will be trying to kill you (once I think of suitable mechanics). You have been warned.

I'll be taking five players to start, though not necessarily the first five to sign-up. Criteria for chosen characters will be left unstated.

Game starts in roughly 24 hours, sign-ups permitting.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 04:11:22 pm by Nirur Torir »

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
Re: MTG Adventures RTD - Signups
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2011, 05:09:42 pm »

I've never tried MTG. Let's fuck this  thing up.

Name: Darvi Derpson
Race: ~Wave Race~ Puns aside, Dwarf
Favored Cards: Emberstrike Duo, Fists of the Demigod, Karvek's Purge
Starting Land: Red/black
Hobby: Studying eldritch lore. Cthulhu fthagn!
Profession: Mason. Just keep banging those rocks together.
Disadvantage: Sensitive to light.
Backstory: Darvi is the leader of a cult dedicated to an ancient and not-so-forgotten being, using his profession as a mason as a cover. At night, he leads ceremonies involving fire and molten rock, hoping to summon his master into this ignorant world, and purge it from those he deems unfit to exist. That is, anybody who is not him.

Other: Platinum Angel want kthxbai
« Last Edit: September 10, 2011, 10:26:05 am by Darvi »

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2011, 05:23:23 pm »

I remember someone doing something like before. It died. :(

lol!

Name: Dwareval'il'ik
Race: Kobold-small, ratty and sneaky. Like an evil Hobbit, but much more bold.
Favored Cards:

Crimson Kobolds http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=201130 <--Bodyguards
Thunder Strike  http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=204973 <--Self Defense
Cave Sense     http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=19620  <--Hasty Retreat

Starting Land: Red
Useful skill/hobby: Swindling the gullible
Profession: Merchant
Disadvantage: Cowardly
Backstory: A crafty Koboldess merchant who has a tendency to make extremely bad deals-often when her customers are in very dire straits. Cowardly and greedy, unless attacking from ambush-then she's merciless. She bought her magic from someone who was dying from a Hydra's venom, in exchange for a cure. There is no cure to Hydra's venom.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 05:43:48 pm by Dwarmin »
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

wolfchild

• Bay Watcher
  • Wyvern Buddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2011, 05:27:41 pm »

Name: Skywolf
Race: Aven
Favored Cards:
Pacifism Cost 1W
Counterspell Cost UU
Aven Redeemer Sost 3W
if Creature cards not allowed:
Hindering Light Cost WU
Counterspell Cost UU
Wrath of god(hells no, way too powerful, never truthfully considered using wrath)
Pacifism Cost 1W
Starting Land: White/Blue
Useful skill/hobby: Alchemy
Profession: Farseer
Disadvantage: Claustrophobic
Backstory: Skywolf helped his tribe of avens by warning them of incoming danger, however during one of his gazings, he saw a card, and he felt he just had to retrieve it, when he did, he returned to his tribe, unfortunately it had been exterminated while he was out getting that card instead of warning them of trouble. This teaches two lessons, 1) if you are a guard, don't leave you're post, 2) don't rely on just 1 guard
« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 06:39:47 pm by wolfchild »
You really can both sig it.
But... That would break the laws of sigging! We can't have everyone running around with the same quotes. IT MAKES THEM UNFUNNY FASTER!

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2011, 05:31:04 pm »

@Wolfchild: Remember, three common cards, and you should link them to the site.

Also "bad bargainer"? That's the best you could think of? One could almost say it's no disadvantage at all. :P
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

wolfchild

• Bay Watcher
  • Wyvern Buddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2011, 05:43:45 pm »

realy so whenever we want to buy stuff its not coming into it ok il find another, and i didnt read common, sorry

edit: All the issues you had are dealt with, I have only commons and I am almost certain that claustrophobia will come into it at some point
« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 05:51:58 pm by wolfchild »
You really can both sig it.
But... That would break the laws of sigging! We can't have everyone running around with the same quotes. IT MAKES THEM UNFUNNY FASTER!

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2011, 05:52:30 pm »

!

So in, character incoming.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Sinpwn

• Bay Watcher
  • That there guy with that face.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2011, 06:28:27 pm »

In character coming up.

Edit:
Name: Sinclair
Race: Draen, tall gray creatures with white hair, red eyes and covered in black tattoos from birth. Normally withdrawn from other races, but not Xenophobic. Leaders in technology, fascinated with the remains of the old world.
Favored Cards:
Vault Skirge
Unmake
Unearth
Starting Land: Black/Blue
Useful skill/hobby: Tinkering
Profession: Archaeologist
Disadvantage: EXTREMELY fidgety and somewhat paranoid
Backstory: Once part of a team of archaeologists, his entire party was wiped out by the fiendish traps and guardians of a long forgotten tomb. Against all reason, he continued deeper after everyone was killed around him. He finally made his way to the final chamber out of sheer luck, to be greeted by a lone card.

I kid you not, my computer crashed 3 times while typing that up.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2011, 12:00:59 pm by Sinpwn »

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2011, 07:46:01 pm »

Name: Irosus
Race: Mek'nathel Clan, Eye Caste. Four long, insectile legs, two long arms, a lightly carapaced but mostly humanoid torso, and a somewhat elongated head sporting too many eyes and arachnid mouthparts. Administrative caste of a giant insect-like hive-city, managing Claw Caste workers and working out the details for Heart Caste overlords.
Favored Cards:
-Scourge of the Nobilis
-Temporal Isolation
-Sunlance
Starting Land: White
Useful skill/hobby: Lore
Profession: Scribe
Disadvantage: Greed
Backstory: Irosus' hive was doing relatively fine until the dragons hit. Supplies were tightening up a bit, but everything was still within acceptable limits. Numerous sleek black dragons assaulting the hive for no apparent reason was less within acceptable limits, made worse by the fact that they kept coming back. That was still nothing next to the hive being rocked by a massive earthquake and nearby eruption, however- whereas the dragons had damaged small parts of the hive and killed or eaten some members, the eruption all but cracked it in two and seeped lava into some sections, destroying a fair amount of food production and making some regions unsafe to work in or impossible to rebuild.
  The only good thing about this was that the rupture had revealed an ancient card, evidently sitting beneath their hive all along. While the exact ramifications of this- including whether the eruption was a coincidence or something else- were debated, there was generally a feeling that this was a good sign in some fashion.
  Irosus really doesn't know how they felt about some Eye Caste then grabbing it and leaving, nor is he entirely certain why he felt compelled to do that, but he considers his effortless absconding as much proof of something fate or outside power related as the card being revealed in the first place. On his own with nothing but a fair amount of magical power, he has no idea what to do except establish his own hive, in time. That'll be hard, and likely require amassing great resources and "recruiting" many servants, but no matter. It's not like he has anything else to do now.

Irosus' hive was located largely on the edge of a jagged volcanic region. Most of the region is smoldering with very low-level activity, so it's mostly safe to traverse, but there's a lot of heat-resistant and outright lava/fire/heat-themed/imbued creatures roaming around, notably dragons. Hives like his are usually the closest things to civilization or sanctuary out there, though there's a handful of orcs and other nasty critters that make a fair living, often partially by wearing bug hides and eating bug meat.

In a more general sense, the regions near there are known for a prevalence of sentient bugs. Or at least, they're known as such to humans- Irosus' kind doesn't even recognize each other as a unified "kind" in the first place (and indeed, there tend to be noticeable differences, to the observant), nor do they consider bee-people to be more buglike than peoplelike, if they were going to view themselves as bugs in the first place.

Generally speaking, Irosus-style hives are found in the volcanic regions and bee-people hives are found in the lush grasslands and forests nearby, though there's a bit of overlap. Notably, the Obsidian-Wing Clan (Irosus' peoples' name for it; they have no idea what they call themselves) are a vicious, far more monstrous hive of bee-people that thrives in the volcanic regions and sport a decidedly volcanic black motif. These differences are remarkable to most humanoids, though again Irosus' people see nothing strange about it. They're feared as raiders and slavers by just about everything in that region, but are noteworthy for striking outside it (usually against other bee-people) far more frequently than most other inhabitants, possibly aided by superior mobility.

Finally, I approve of aristocratic werewolves.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2011, 08:40:01 am »

I'm surprised that there have only been five applicants.

I'll need double confirmation before letting anyone start with cards that they can't cast without getting mana from someone else. (Darvi's Igneous Pounder and Sinpwn's Twisted Abomination cost too much.)

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2011, 09:00:57 am »

:<

I'll check if I can get something cheaper.

Simple

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2011, 10:18:31 am »

Hmm interesting. Waitlist me.

Spoiler: character (click to show/hide)

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2011, 10:29:54 am »

I'll be taking five players to start, though not necessarily the first five to sign-up. Criteria for chosen characters will be left unstated.
Additionally, feel free to submit requests for the starting area, local government type, nearby foreign government types, goals, and potential antagonists.
Hint: One of the spots is reserved for the local lore I like best. So far, only IronyOwl's even tried. (That region is likely to come up at some point, or at least a band of bee-people slavers.)

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2011, 10:54:05 am »

Oof, I don't much anything about MTG lore though...I'll give it a shot though.

Backstory: Dwareval's Clan den is located in the long fought over ruins of an Old Dwarf keep named "Goldtombs", sacked and abandoned long ago-there are are several tribes of loosely allied Orcs, Kobolds and Goblins inhabiting and squabbling over room to live and the few rare remaining treasures-the tunnels underneath are valuable routes for communication and trade, though rarely used for that by the current occupants.. Things had reached a wary equilibrim until recently-until a small army of Dwarves from a nearby kingdom descended on the Keep with the intent of repopulation and plunder of ancient secrets.

The new inhabitants are fighting ferociously for what they view as their home now, with their past problems forgotten in face of a mutual threat. The Kobold Dwareval's immediate concern, beyond survival, was playing both sides for her own profit of course.

When a dying Dwarf Wizard summoned a Phyrexian Hydra to smite his enemies-and his allies unintentionall-, the beasts poison tainted a young Human noble by the name of Pallagar. Dwareval offered a cure...at the price of magic. She gave him a potion all right-one that appeared to in all ways cure him, but in fact did nothing. The potion, a clever fake, was sold to her by a Kobold Shaman named "Jrikk'thiss", with the intention that they would have split any profits. Dwareval betrayed him, letting the Dwarves take Jirkk'thiss captive-and probably into slavery.

She's really hoping neither of them-or anyone they know-will live to pay her back for this.

The Keep is fairly isolated, as places go-other than monsters, not many people live in the area, though there is a larger tribe of Orcs to the North, that are currently fighting with the Dwarves...The Dwarven Empire that stretches to the West if large and powerful-and they've been slowly reclaming their ancestral holdings for many hundreds of years. Some say "Goldtomb" is the tipping point-if the Dwarves win here, they'll secure a vital resupply point as well as their ancient tunnels, and might be able to spread out over the entire mountain range.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2011, 11:08:16 am »

I'd apply, but I'd probably end up using a character from the Multiworlds shoehorned into planeswalking, which is much too unoriginal. I gotta think me up some new universe to use sometime.

Also, am I the only one whose initial reaction to the described creature summoning system was "Pokemon?"
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11