Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Somewhat regular mafia: Not open anymore due to me being new to mafia  (Read 2808 times)

ShoesandHats

• Bay Watcher
  • Shoes cancels Drink: Intensified by Penguin Man.
    • View Profile

Hello, bay12 mafia peeps. I'm new to mafia, and I THINK I know how it works. I'll add a few of my own rules, but its mostly the same:

1. The days last until all the players have voted. If not all the players have voted within two days, then it will shift to night without a lynching.
2. The same goes for the mafia at night, except they only have one day.
3. A player who does not want to play anymore can commit suicide. A player who has committed suicide will look like they have been murdered by the mafia in the night, and must message me about it.

Yup. Special roles include Doctor, the Mafia Don, and the Mafia Rat.

The doctor can protect someone from the mafia once per night.

The cop can investigate the death of one person per night. The cop's investigation is the only way to determine whether it was a suicide or a murder. If it was a murder, they have a random chance to identify the murderer.

The don is the one who ultimately determines who will be murdered at night. In the absence of the don, murders will work entirely on votes.

The rat is a regular mafia member who can frame a murder on a regular townie. It only works if the cop was "successful" in his investigation, and if the cop investigates the murder before the rat can frame someone, he'll have to wait until next night.

No players :(
« Last Edit: October 16, 2011, 12:51:17 pm by ShoesandHats »

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
Re: Somewhat regular mafia: Beginning
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2011, 01:52:29 am »

Uh, if your new to mafia then no one is going to join your game. Play a Beginners Mafia, then play a few more. Then start playing normal games, then play a bastard game. Then MAYBE people would join your game.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2011, 02:40:07 am »

Yeah, players are going to be rather wary of joining the game of a complete newcomer/unknown. I'd also like to point out that if you don't know how to play mafia well, your ability to design a mafia game is probably not very impressive. It's a complex (and involved) enough game that you can't really just jump in and do stuff and expect it to turn out well.

Also, if you're going to anyway you should really bring it up in the Games Threshold and Discussion List first. It's there to coordinate who's going to be hosting what, so we don't get a dozen half-filled games all the time.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2011, 07:45:12 am »

Yeah, players are going to be rather wary of joining the game of a complete newcomer/unknown. I'd also like to point out that if you don't know how to play mafia well, your ability to design a mafia game is probably not very impressive. It's a complex (and involved) enough game that you can't really just jump in and do stuff and expect it to turn out well.

Also, if you're going to anyway you should really bring it up in the Games Threshold and Discussion List first. It's there to coordinate who's going to be hosting what, so we don't get a dozen half-filled games all the time.

Agreed. Beginners, especially ones that don't know the rules, need to play at least one round of Beginners' Mafia before proceeding with anything else. Mods especially will been to know the rules.

I'll also take the time to tell you what's a little strange about your game:

1. The in-game Day lasts until all the players have voted. If not all the players have voted within two real-life days, then it will shift to Night without a lynching.

FTFY for confusion.

This sounds a little arbitrary to me. Where's the fun in this? You're forcing people to vote, and that's all you're doing here. There's nothing of value added to the game.

2. The same goes for the mafia at night, except they only have one day.

You're going to find it difficult at times to convene everyone within 24hrs.

3. A player who does not want to play anymore can commit suicide. A player who has committed suicide will look like they have been murdered by the mafia in the night, and must message me about it.

Nobody sane will want to hurt their own team in the way you want, even if they want out. I don't think I need to say much more.

The cop can investigate the death of one person per night. The cop's investigation is the only way to determine whether it was a suicide or a murder. If it was a murder, they have a random chance to identify the murderer.

...Except you're not going to have many deaths with competent players. Again, nobody is going to want to play against their team (which is what the suicide mechanic entails), and even if they want to kill themselves - hurting the town in the process - it'll be rather clear which player has been suffering from a lack of activity before that event. Not to mention that most people will want to outright say "Right, I'm going to excuse myself from the game now", given that you won't be preventing people from doing so according to your rules.

The don is the one who ultimately determines who will be murdered at night. In the absence of the don, murders will work entirely on votes.

This role feels like it's there for its own sake. As a scumteam is very small to begin with, the practicality of adding a voting system to the nightkill is questionable.

Your game doesn't seem to have enough going for it to attract a proper audience. Your setup also needs some work for it to become usable and properly entertaining - at its present state, the rules don't make enough sense to function in play, and the gameplay won't be able to differentiate itself enough from a standard Near-Mountainous/Beginners' Mafia to be worth the effort.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2011, 08:38:46 am »

Stuff
You get a Medal for Patience for writing all that. Too bad that it's useless, since there's only three possible outcomes:
1) OP sees nobody is joining and leaves for good;
2) OP reads first advice and goes to BM;
3) OP reads your guide, creates a normal game and nobody joins since nobody saw him in a game previously.

ShoesandHats

• Bay Watcher
  • Shoes cancels Drink: Intensified by Penguin Man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2011, 12:42:34 pm »

Blegh. Well, I'm somewhat embarrassed. You are right, I basically just kind of wanted to jump in because I've played other forum games and I kind of wondered what this one was like, because it would have to be pretty popular to have its own subforum. I'll take your guys' advice and play a few games before starting one. I think I'll try (and most likely fail) to play a mafia game that wasn't made by me.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Re: Somewhat regular mafia: Not open anymore due to me being new to mafia
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2011, 12:52:59 pm »

The next Beginner's Mafia thread should be starting today.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!