Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 27

Author Topic: Cult Mafia - GAME OVER - Psomeone Pscrewed Up  (Read 79546 times)

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
Re: Cult Mafia - Day 1 - This Is Gonna Psuck[9/9]
« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2011, 12:53:35 am »

Jim Groovester: If you were the jailer, how would you use your power?

Since the jailer currently does not know whether or not he successfully blocks or protects anyone, it's impossible to know whether or not he's actually being effective.

I'd argue it would be more effective for him to try and prevent conversions than to block the Cult leader. It should be somewhat easier to guess who'd be next to get culted than it would be to guess who the leader is.

I'm not sure I'd start with the Known Townie. His purpose is automatically achieved at the start of the game: We know who not to lynch. I don't think preserving his towniness through the game is all that critical.

Jim: What traits do you think the cult leader would want in earlier converts?

The ability to lead suspicion away from him and towards others. In other words, skill.

Why would there be any difference between what the cult leader would want earlier in the game versus later in the game?

Unvote.

Max White, it's lylo, with four to three, and let's say you're part of the Cult. Assume anyone you want is alive. Who do you try to mislynch?
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2011, 12:59:11 am »

Max White: Once the cult leader is lynched, how would you handle the remaining cultists?
Same way I always handle scum, however that is I don't think I can pin point, it just sort of goes as it goes.

Max White, it's lylo, with four to three, and let's say you're part of the Cult. Assume anyone you want is alive. Who do you try to mislynch?
I don't know, that really depends on what people have done until that point. Anyway, three to four in a cult game means ly-cult leader-lo, so just personally I would try for a bus rather than a mislynch. That way I can have another cult member act scummy.

Max:  [ego]I'd probably already be culted by that point.[/ego]

Seriously though, I'd play to the best of my ability either way.  I don't think I'd make any special attempt to sway the cult leader.
So you wouldn't make a special attempt even if you thought it would win you the game? Why not?

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2011, 01:14:43 am »

So you can't pick a name even in the most ideal of circumstances?

Come on. That's lame. Answer my meta question.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2011, 01:20:45 am »

Well if you really want a name, I'm guessing Native would be an easy lynch, while not looking like I would be just going for a newbie. Plus you said anybody I want is alive, so that would mean Urist and Powder are living townies, while Toaster, yourself and Jack are all my fellow cult...

Or just lynch Dariush. Always fun to watch.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2011, 08:03:36 am »

Jack:  Fair enough.

Urist:  I see.  How will the enemy being a cult make a difference in this case?

Max:  How would you play to get converted, anyway?  Straight up asking to be converted is a lynchable offense, in my book.

I'd think the best way to be converted is also the best way to draw a NK- scum hunt as hard as possible.  If you're on to the cult, they'd want you off their back and on their side.

Jim:  Who would you fear most as cult leader?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2011, 10:00:11 am »

Do you think there is a time when it would be wise for the jailer to claim?  If so, when?  If not, why?
I really doubt there would be a jailer when scum is cult, but assuming there is one, I think he shouldn't claim at all and instead try to discover scum basing on sudden shift in somebody's behavior towards looking for a jailer.
Dariush: In a situation where there's a person you very strongly suspect of being a cultist, but not the cult leader, and a person you somewhat suspect of being the cult leader, who would you vote for?
Definitely the second one. Lynching a cultist with leader alive is essentially a loss of a townie.

Max, what town role do you think would be the most useful in this setup?

Urist, do you think the scum has any extra roles? If yes, which?

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2011, 10:21:01 am »

Oh, hey.
Mafia.
*cracks knuckles*

NUKE9.13: Sup! Think this time you will do a little better? Also, do you think this is a balanced game?
Yes.
Yes.

NUKE9.13: In the last couple games I've seen you, including the aforementioned Witches' Coven, you've been mislynched for your playstyle.  You set off an awful lot of alarm bells despite being town because of it.  How do you intend to handle this ongoing meta here?
I intend to completely revert my playstyle to the expected norm, posing as the perfect unreadable everyman.

Speaking of which, herpaderp random questions.

NUKE9.13: What is your favorite flavour of ice cream?
Why, I'm glad you asked its... uh... vanilla? Chocolate? No, strawb- err...
Oh gods.
I can't take this pressure anymore.
I admit, I'm the cult leader! Oh gods, why are you such a good scumhunter! Its a cult game, there is only one scum, and somehow your random question has found and cracked me like a rotten egg in a haystack! Oh gods, this is terrible!

NUKE9.13: Aww yis, game over, town wins. I am so glad we are all sensible people who start the game in a sensible way!

Wait.
Waaaaait.
Thats not right.
Thats complete and utter bullshit!

I trust my point is clear? In a cult game, even more so than other games, it is vitally important that we DON'T FUCK UP DAY 1 WITH RANDOM QUESTIONS. We do want a lot of discussion. But we want it clear and easily readable, and we want the topic(s) of discussion to be (fairly) important and pertaining to the game, as to get a good base read on everybody. Lurking today is grounds for lynching. We will probably not find the cult leader, but that doesn't matter. Being able to re-read day 1 is what matters.

Powder Miner, you refuse to play along with the RVS shenanigans. This is because your are the cult leader, attempting to avoid attention.
Long Live United Forenia!

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 21, 2011, 10:30:06 am »

Dariush:  Pay attention.  There is a guaranteed jailer- read the first post.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

NativeForeigner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 21, 2011, 12:43:06 pm »

While I wait for Powder Miner...

Max: Let's hope this game goes better than the last game we played together. Assume you're a day three convertee and you've been building a decent case against someone you're sure is cult, either the leader or just a member. After you get converted, you discover you were right. Do you stick with your guns and keep pushing for the lynch and bus the player, or do you drop your case? If the latter, how do you think you would handle that without being too obvious? What if the person you were building a case against turned out to be the leader?
Yeah, you're a dick, NativeForeigner.
Quit being such a dick, you dick.
Maybe if you weren't such a dick you wouldn't be such a dick.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 21, 2011, 02:56:47 pm »

Jim:  Who would you fear most as cult leader?

A player who I have a difficult time reading but isn't so skilled that they're going to be top priority for the Cult to convert.

I've been having trouble reading Dariush lately, and because I'm frequently IC for a bunch of new players I tend to wear blinders and see everything they do as them being nubfaces. Any of them would probably throw me off.

I admit, I'm the cult leader! Oh gods, why are you such a good scumhunter! Its a cult game, there is only one scum, and somehow your random question has found and cracked me like a rotten egg in a haystack! Oh gods, this is terrible!

Hello, joking admission of Cult Leaderhood. You know what I like to do with joking admissions of scumhood?

Take them seriously.

Why shouldn't I take you at your word and lynch you for even a joking admission?

Lurking today is grounds for lynching.

Interesting stance.

Why?

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 21, 2011, 03:11:29 pm »

Hello, joking admission of Cult Leaderhood. You know what I like to do with joking admissions of scumhood?
Take them seriously.
Why shouldn't I take you at your word and lynch you for even a joking admission?
Because that would be silly. It is clearly meant as a joke, entirely self contained, with no relevance to the game. 

Lurking today is grounds for lynching.
Interesting stance.
Why?
Because we need dem reads. On everyone. If we can't have them, they become a liability. If they appear day two acting scummy, how do we know if they were converted N1, or if they are the leader? Without reads available from D1, we don't. Therefore, D1 lurkers must be lynched.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 21, 2011, 03:19:00 pm »

You know what I like to do with joking admissions of scumhood?

Take them seriously.

I don't know, you're not really convincing me.

Further, since I didn't see anybody ask any herpaderp random questions, your joking comment was completely pointless.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 21, 2011, 03:29:03 pm »

I don't know, you're not really convincing me.
Further, since I didn't see anybody ask any herpaderp random questions, your joking comment was completely pointless.
My herpaderp random question was intentionally extra random. I include in the category of random questions pretty much everything this board does before D1 discussion starts. Random because people basically pick them from an internal list of possible questions at random and ask them to people at random. I feel that whilst they can in theory promote discussion, their are over used, making them essentially useless. Indeed, in this game, they are more than useless, as they cloud D1 with useless banter.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 21, 2011, 03:40:55 pm »

I don't really like seeing people act like they're above normal gameplay, but whatever.

If you hate the RVS so much why are you voting Powder Miner for not playing along? Maybe he's had the same brilliant insight about it as you.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 21, 2011, 04:01:46 pm »

I'd think the best way to be converted is also the best way to draw a NK- scum hunt as hard as possible.  If you're on to the cult, they'd want you off their back and on their side.
Doesn't that run the rick of lynching the guy you want to convert you?

Max, what town role do you think would be the most useful in this setup?
convert-proof vig. That would be pretty sweet, and might help put the daily swing back into town favour.

Max: Let's hope this game goes better than the last game we played together. Assume you're a day three convertee and you've been building a decent case against someone you're sure is cult, either the leader or just a member. After you get converted, you discover you were right. Do you stick with your guns and keep pushing for the lynch and bus the player, or do you drop your case? If the latter, how do you think you would handle that without being too obvious? What if the person you were building a case against turned out to be the leader?
Let's hope, yes.
See the problem with these hypothetical questions is that I don't have enough details to go off, I am change my stance or continue on the attack depending on any number of things that have gone on from there. Still, if you want a more solid answer, I would change my stance, as every day somebody new gets converted, so I could just say somebody who wasn't scummy yesterday is asking scummy today.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 27