Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: An idea on the platform of succession forts.  (Read 1674 times)

Max176

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
An idea on the platform of succession forts.
« on: September 11, 2011, 12:33:12 am »

I had a somewhat small idea today. Succession forts make new megaprojects, and stupid dwarf tricks. All of the time. Some of our favourite ideas have came from these succession forts, like Boatmurdered, and they have earned a place in dwarven legend. So I propose a dorfy plan. We combine ALL of these projects that are listed on this wiki page (and with your own, if you please :P):

Some of these are contradictory, so, it will be at the discretion of the person who is overseeing the fort to decide which one to take. And, one by one, we each build one of these massive undertakings. Some are "less" massive, others are nigh-impossible. It will take much time to finish the list, but one by one, we could finish it. Not much has been fleshed out by me, however. I am more than ecstatic to gen the world and such, but only if people want to play and join, or even be dorfed in said fort, I'll set it up, and make a thread in the Community Games section.

So, TL;DR, who wants in on a megaproject-laden, and Fun, fort?
« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 12:38:15 am by Max176 »
I'm mining out and admixture every section of adamant ore I can get my easily on to alternation my armoursmith up to allegorical so he can accomplish actively alarming armour for my aggressive. again I'm traveling to do the aforementioned for weapons.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: An idea on the platform of succession forts.
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2011, 12:42:29 am »

I'll help set up an enclosed fort.  We could make it a sort of "hanging dome" type where we build up the infrastructure, utilize the pumps, stock for supplies, and then collapse the supports and leave the "ship" isolated, or turn off cave-ins after the initial deconstruct, so that the ship can be allowed to hang.

Then, it's just a matter of when the dwarves get to each other...  Moods and such may be an issue.  Extra points if it's set up on some sort of caste system where dwarves are separated for the most part, to allow distribution of water and the control of infection/depressurization/tantrum/etc.  Ultimately though, an isolated fort becomes fairly boring fairly fast.

Orangebottle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2011, 12:48:17 am »

Um. Not to rain on your parade, but combining all of these would be impossible. The amount of space required would encompass an entire square on the embark map. Some of the projects require you to seal yourself underground, while others require you to build entirely aboveground. Simply put, it wouldn't work.
My Sig
Quote from: The Binder of Shame: RPGnet Rants
"We're in his toilet. We're in Cthulhu's toilet."

""Hey! No breaking character while breaking character"

Max176

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2011, 12:51:06 am »

Um. Not to rain on your parade, but combining all of these would be impossible. The amount of space required would encompass an entire square on the embark map. Some of the projects require you to seal yourself underground, while others require you to build entirely aboveground. Simply put, it wouldn't work.
I realise this. Like I said, we eliminate contradictory projects. I just used that as a base for my idea. We can add projects that won't conflict with others.
I'm mining out and admixture every section of adamant ore I can get my easily on to alternation my armoursmith up to allegorical so he can accomplish actively alarming armour for my aggressive. again I'm traveling to do the aforementioned for weapons.

Max176

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2011, 01:01:23 am »

I'll help set up an enclosed fort.  We could make it a sort of "hanging dome" type where we build up the infrastructure, utilize the pumps, stock for supplies, and then collapse the supports and leave the "ship" isolated, or turn off cave-ins after the initial deconstruct, so that the ship can be allowed to hang.
I think this sounds good. We start as this, provide the basics, do as many indoor projects as possible, then poke the bubble and do the outdoor projects, finishing with a massive bang, doing the most FPS-killing activity last.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2011, 01:07:31 am »

Oh wait, the whole page?  The link was pointing specifically to the spaceship portion, but if we're doing it all I'll need to rethink the plans...

Max176

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2011, 01:09:21 am »

Oh wait, the whole page?  The link was pointing specifically to the spaceship portion, but if we're doing it all I'll need to rethink the plans...
Yes, sorry, I realised my mistake shortly after  :-\

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2011, 01:31:57 am »

Well, many of these ideas aren't entirely appealing.  Dam a river?  Sure.  Cave-in alarm clock?  Meh.  Nether-cap barrels?  Pfft.

I'd say to focus on the exploitation of one idea to the illogical extreme.  Execution tower?  How about a giant hook of cast obsidian rising from the ground, curving up some 50 levels before dangling around under itself in a little swirl, allowing the goblins to observe their height in all the sickening vertigo of the curving away base of the tower.  And free to reflect on this view for several minutes as they fall, and fall, and fall.

Take one, and go big.

Max176

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2011, 01:40:30 am »

After reading over some of these, yeah, I agree. It was one of those ideas that you think it will be the best thing ever, then when actually looking at it, it's lackluster. Let this thread now fall into the bottom of the 10th page.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 01:43:37 am by Max176 »