Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: !!SCIENCE!! The last dwarf is kidnapped!  (Read 6084 times)

Cheveux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
!!SCIENCE!! The last dwarf is kidnapped!
« on: September 10, 2011, 04:00:46 am »

After my last fortress got unplayable due to self imposed challenge consisting of "no traps", "must have path for invaders to the dining hall", my lack of strong military at the moment and a siege of the ferric elves (Fortress Defense mod), I thought "Well, I'll let it run until it dies of whatever's coming for it.".

After a while another siege came and killed everyone but 3 dwarves. A child, the chief medical dwarf (the mother of the child I think) and a miner.

While the two adults were pretty unhappy of the deaths of everyone in the fort, the child was still ecstatic, claiming that she slept in a bedroom like a royal palace and that the drinks were great. She was also sad that her father's corpse was rotting in his bedroom, but that's a minor inconvenience.

With so little dwarves left, I wonder how I long a child could survive alone in my fortress. So I sent her mother and the miner hunt down some wild yaks that were roaming in my catacombs. Naked.
The child was happy instead of ecstatic, the death of both of her parents was too much apparently.

Anyway, after a while a star animal discovered an ambush. When I opened the unit screen to see where the child was, they was no dwarf in it. The first thing on the list is a stray cave crocodile hatchling.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I checked dwarf therapist, she was still there.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I am pretty sure she's in the hands of a gobling snatcher as we speak. I wonder what will happen when they'll leave the map.

Should I post the save? I'm afraid that when I'll try the reload it, the game will crash because there's no dwarf left or something.

plynxis

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh god I'm so tired, leave me alone...
    • View Profile
Re: !!SCIENCE!! The last dwarf is kidnapped!
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2011, 04:23:48 am »

Um it will just probably auto-abandon the fortress. seeing as there's nothing you can do barring hacks, i dont see you having much choice in this. either let it end or not.

on another note - it would rock if you ended up with 1 child, alone in a huge fortress with food and booze to last it decades. it could be legend material.
What? Go away, I'm sleep deprived...

Cheveux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2011, 12:49:58 pm »

Well, that was disappointing, once the goblin left the map (I was able to follow him with the two ghost that were haunting the child he was kidnapping), DF froze for about 15 seconds and then "Your strength has been broken." appeared.

Still, I'm going to keep the world to see if the child does something awesome while she's in the goblin civ.

dirkzen

• Bay Watcher
  • Flood the depot. Get free stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2011, 01:19:39 pm »

She was also sad that her father's corpse was rotting in his bedroom, but that's a minor inconvenience.
I love this game so much.
Forgotten beasts flying up the wells and eating them might cause some negative effects.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2011, 02:13:26 pm »

Well, that was disappointing, once the goblin left the map (I was able to follow him with the two ghost that were haunting the child he was kidnapping), DF froze for about 15 seconds and then "Your strength has been broken." appeared.

Still, I'm going to keep the world to see if the child does something awesome while she's in the goblin civ.
The world doesn't do anything outside of worldgen :(
That will come later in the caravan arc I think

MonsteR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2011, 02:22:11 pm »

Even if he starts another fortress and continues playing? I think that's what he meant.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2011, 02:26:32 pm »

That's right though.  The only things that happen are what happens in your fort.  Even adventure mode is an extremely localized process.

plynxis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2011, 02:51:07 pm »

did toady mention anything about that? cause its not on the development page and the suggestions for resuming worldgen are really low on votes.

i'm holding out for improved mechanics anyway....

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2011, 02:57:41 pm »

did toady mention anything about that? cause its not on the development page and the suggestions for resuming worldgen are really low on votes.

i'm holding out for improved mechanics anyway....

Quote from: Dwarf Fortress Development
Caravan Arc Releases

Release 1
Better town maps involving workshops/markets/shops based on world gen economic activities
Release 2
Villager/farmer schedules/activities
Work with 3D mineral veins and mine maps
Release 3
Taverns
Basic hirelings
Manors
Release 4
Dwarf mode inns
Adv mode inns
Fairs
Merchants moving around from place to place during play
Release 5
Changing populations, food use and other world gen stuff moved to actual play
Release 6
Dwarf mode trading improvements incorporating all the world gen/supply/demand/merchant info etc.
Release 7
Combat move/speed split
Purchasing livestock/pets in adv mode
Mounted combat rewrite and related changes
Release 8
Renting/buying cottages and other properties
Personality and needs rewrite
Release 9
Adventure mode pack mules
Adventure mode trading improvements incorporating all the world gen/supply/demand/merchant info etc.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2011, 02:57:57 pm »

You're thinking of the wrong thing.  Right now, when worldgen ends, everything stops.  EVERYTHING.  Nothing outside of your fortress plot of dirt happens, at all.  When caravans get really worked on, then they'll be moving and trading and interacting with the world while you play

plynxis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2011, 03:07:19 pm »

true. my bad.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2011, 03:16:17 pm »

I'm hoping for any update right now. I don't mean I want it now, or early. But my last real fort was in .18 and I'm looking forward to playing it again  :-X.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2011, 11:21:53 pm »

Well, hop in .25, you can either sit around waiting and complaining or you can go start some genocide of your own species.  There will be plenty more genocide left over for when the update arrives.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2011, 03:01:03 am »

I'll probably do that once I'm done with my Aurora game.