Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fortress Adventure in Real Time(?) : Obscurelens  (Read 2184 times)

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
  • Took joy in ‼SCIENCE‼ lately.
    • View Profile
Fortress Adventure in Real Time(?) : Obscurelens
« on: September 10, 2011, 05:20:48 pm »

UPDATE:  Now with 80% less real-time.  I'll check back periodically today and from 7pm~9pm E.S.T. this week.

This is my first (and only) fortress.  It needs to move on.  I need to move on.  I put it into your hands, Bay12ers.  Do with it as you will. 

For context, you will 'control' the mayor, but essentially you will be telling me what to do with the fort.  If you are familiar with MSPaint Adventures then you will understand the method I'm aiming for.  The important distinction to make is that I am not planning for a plot of any kind and just want to see what will happen to the fort.  If it is in my power to carry out a suggestion, I will.  Anything goes.  If I don't know how to do something / can't do it, I will try as close as possible.  Try to be very specific in your suggestions (E.g. "Send the militia to kill all the goblins" instead of "Kill the goblins.").  I will be very literal in interpreting them. 

I will attempt play the game in real time, perhaps pausing to wait for input if something important happens.  I will try to post screenshots of what goes on and responses to suggestions as they occur. 

I will try this out from now until 9:00 pm E.S.T (the next 3 hours), or until the fort is destroyed, whichever comes first. 
IMPORTANT NOTE:  I am most likely neither witty nor entertaining.  I really just want to get closure on this place so I can start my second(!) fortress.

Your name is Zon Mebzuthizeg.  You are the mayor of the mighty fortress Azmolcerol, now in it's 15th year of operation.  You migrated here a decade ago, and have steadily risen in power and influence. 

What will you do?

Spoiler: Obscurelens' status (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Map of Obscurelens (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 11:26:20 am by Xen0n »

Coolnesstod

• Bay Watcher
  • Drink, Work, Repeat.
    • View Profile
Re: Fortress Adventure in Real Time(?) : Obscurelens
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2011, 10:04:00 pm »

Tell the miners to channel all of the floor around the dining hall and remove the ramps, also Tell the miners that the floor there can float so they actually do it.
All glory to the Hypnotoad.
Random fact: Robin Williams was once addicted to cocaine during the late 1980's/early 1990's.

The Master

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2011, 03:20:11 am »

If the miner's survive, order them to dig out the ceiling of the dining hall, but only order them to do this when there are plenty of dwarves in said hall.
Holy jesus I thought I was ready but nothing could have prepared me for this
Hush, little Asea, don't you cry.
If he notices we'll surely die!
You. Made. Asea. CRY.

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2011, 11:24:57 am »

Okay, new plan.  Since this is a board with people all over the world and whatnot, it seems the "Real Time" aspect may not really be feasible.  So, it may have to be dragged out a bit.  What I'll do instead is for every suggestion, I'll try to implement it, let the game run for a bit to see the results, then pause until the next suggestion.  I'll check for new suggestions periodically throughout today, and during the week it will be around 7:00pm ~ 9:00pm E.S.T.  Anyway, onto the fort.  Just hit the Spoilers to see the screenshots of what happens.

Tell the miners to channel all of the floor around the dining hall and remove the ramps, also Tell the miners that the floor there can float so they actually do it.

You suddenly get a new idea.  You aren't quite sure where it comes from.  This doesn't worry you, as people of your status regularly get otherworldly inspiration in the form of mandates for wondrous items, such as making items from creepy crawler teeth.  You aren't even sure if such a thing as a creepy crawler even exists.  At any rate, you are struck with the notion to put a moat around the main dining hall of the fort.  Yes.  This is a good idea.  This sort of spontaneous leadership is why you were elected mayor in the first place.  You quickly find Urist Nefekobok, the head miner, and outline you plan to him.

"...and don't forget to remove the ramps."

Urist Nefekobok looks at you with the sort of steady concentration that you've come to associate with the admiration people like him must hold for you.  After a moment's silence, he replies.

"...Right.  Just to be clear, you want a trench, all around the Royal Dining room?  You realise that will lead directly into the housing section?"

You are used to this sort of difficulty of lesser minds to grasp ideas of your caliber, so you figure you'll make it even easier on him.

"Yes, just as in my plans.  Oh, and the floor there can float."

Spoiler: Dining Hall plans (click to show/hide)

"...Okay.  Sure.  Most of the skilled miners are digging out the magma piston, but the trainees are assigned to the fort.  They should get on your.. project right away, sir."

Urist then walks away, muttering to himself, again.

Later that day, you check back on the progress and are delighted to see your vision come to fruition. 

"Ahh, spendid work, Urist.  Our dining hall is much more secure now."

"Sir, you realise there is a still a staircase that connects to the dining hall... Also, many of the dwarves are noting that leftovers falling into their beds."

"Yes, yes, they can thank me later.  That gives me an idea..."

You have now ruined several perfectly good living areas.  What will you do?
« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 11:31:57 am by Xen0n »

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2011, 11:45:22 am »

If the miner's survive, order them to dig out the ceiling of the dining hall, but only order them to do this when there are plenty of dwarves in said hall.

You decide that, in addition to the bedrooms, the dining room should also have open-air skylights.  Wait, no, it's should be one giant skylight.  Yes.  Perfect.  You catch Urist before he walks away to tell him you new ideas.

"Och, Urist?  The miners on the last project, are they still... alive?"

Urist slowly raises one eyebrow.

"Yes, of course, sir.  It was just a simple channeling job, the trainees are fine."

"Yes.  Wonderful.  Tell them I have new design.  I want an open air Dining Hall now.  No ceiling."

"Right away sir..."

"Och, and I want the citizens to all admire this new project.  Organise a meeting area in the dining hall; they should be there to witness the grand opening of our new Dining Hall."

Spoiler: New Dining Hall Plans (click to show/hide)

Just after Urist shuffles away with your orders, two messengers rush towards your nearly simulataneously.

"Sir!  We just caught a goblin snatcher in one of the South Fort traps, and-"
"Mayor!  An ambush of goblin Swordsgoblins has appeared at the South Fort!"

What will you do?