Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Apexwhips II - Convicts at large!  (Read 5591 times)

The_Fool76

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Apexwhips II - Convicts at large!
« on: September 11, 2011, 03:00:45 pm »

A while ago I had started a community fort and all was going well but then real life decided to intervene and I wasn't able to continue it. :(

I've been itching though to get back to writing something so I have decided to restart the story in the current version. 
Same premise (7 escaped convicts with no skills and a box of axes) and some of the same characters. The rest though is a clean slate.

I have played up through the first year and there are currently 12 free immigrants for claiming. (The founding 7 are not available.)
Seven Females and Five males. 

Currently there are three dwarves of note in the immigrants in terms of having real jobs:
Miner (Female) - Married to a Gem Cutter
Farmer (Male) - Also has some crossbow skills and other military skills
Smith (Female) - Not much work due to severe ore shortage but still important

My one rule for dwarves is that they are all outcasts or criminals so if you wish to adopt a dwarf you should include what their reason for being an outcast/criminal is.  Be it something as normal as being the victim of a failed production order or as bizarre as your really a midget human pretending to be a dwarf.  If you don't provide something like this, it will be provided for you.  I should also note that I reserve the right to tweak it as I see fit to make it work in the story.  Basically if you claim your dwarf is really Armok's avatar, I'll describe them as a loon that thinks they are Armok's avatar. ;)  If you would prefer your dark secret remain a secret feel free to PM me their crime or whatever and I'll reveal it at some appropriate time. 

I'll be trying to update once every three days and the immigrants don't show up until the sixth entry (I have a decent buffer of entries) so you have about fifteen days till your going to be seeing any dwarves you claimed show up.   

For the curious the old story can be found here:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=42122.msg769590

Now that I've got all that out of the way... on with the show!

List of claimed, unclaimed and doomed dwarves

Index
Entry 1 - From the frying pan into the fire.
Entry 2 - Strike the Buzzards Earth!
Entry 3 - Turtle Soup
Entry 4 - Dead Ducks and an uncertain future.
Entry 5 - Love and walls are in the air
Entry 6 - No longer alone
Entry 7 - Unwelcome Welcome

« Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 05:27:22 pm by The_Fool76 »
Tis far better to be a witty fool than a foolish wit.

The_Fool76

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Entry 1 - From the frying pan into the fire.
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2011, 03:03:00 pm »

Diary of "Mandy" the Chief of Lebesbomrek (Apexwhips)
All names have been changed to protect the guilty and hide their crimes.

--- First Entry ---
I found a mostly blank recordbook in with the axes on the wagon so I have decided to use it to record a ... well a record I suppose. After all, keeping track of a fort's history is traditionally the job of it's leader.  Though to call this place a fort seems a poor joke at best.  God forsaken hellhole is more of an apt description but let me start at the beginning, or at least as close to it as I dare write down.

First off, let me just mention that the names within this journal are not our real names.  Not that it would matter much if they were as I fear we all may just die out here.  Those who come across our rotted bones will probably have little care that we are all escaped convicts.  That's right, we are a pack of criminals.  What we were in for matters little now and I'm not about to write it down in any case. Lets just say we were all incarcerated for our crimes at the prison fort of Axegrind.  Being part of the general hauler crew, we were not watched quite as closely as the more skilled laborers so we were able to escape our dismal fate using a plan I devised.  It wasn't a terribly complex plan, we simply deconstructed some key support beams on the guard house and then stole a supply cart in the resulting chaos.

We hitched up the first two animals we could find, a horse and water buffalo, and drove it away from the fort as fast as we could.  Would that we had paid more attention to the contents of the cart and would that we had been caught!  A hammering would have been preferable to this fate.  After the initial rush of escape had died down we took a look at what the cart contained.  Curse our luck! It was a cart meant for the guards and contained nothing but a crate full of copper axes.  No food, no drink and worst of all, no picks.  We did have the foresight to each take some small amount of food with us in our escape and we prayed that would hold us till we got somewhere we could trade the axes for better provisions.

On the second day of our journey we entered a dead forest.  It was the start of spring so the lack of leaves on the trees wasn't unusual, but something just felt wrong about the place.  We kept on though, afraid that the guards from Axegrind would be after us.  Now I am sure they stopped chasing as soon as they realized where we were headed.  No sane dwarf would want to be in this place.  On the morning of our third day of freedom the wheel came off the cart.  That in of itself wouldn't have been so bad except that the cart promptly dropped to the ground with the distinct sound of splintering wood.  When we lifted it up to inspect the damage, it was clear the axle of the cart had snapped through when it fell.

That was when the undead buzzards attacked.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 11:48:18 am by The_Fool76 »

Imakuni

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Dance Floor!!
    • View Profile
Re: Apexwhips II - Convicts at large!
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2011, 06:24:46 pm »

I'll take the miner migrant.

Name: Imaku
Why she's there: Broke a floodgate holding back lava from a volcano while tantruming. Killed most of the fortress.
Urist McImmigrant: "What?! Hey! What's going onnn---aaaaRRRGGHH!!"
Urist McSurgeon: "Must remove the rot, yes.  This one is unclean, ssssss.  Purity of essence, yesss."
Urist McImmigrant: "Whhaa---aaaARRGHH OW!  MY PANCREAS!  AAAAGGHH!! THAT'S MY - NOOOOO---AAARRGHGHHH!!!"
Urist McImmigrant has suffocated.

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2011, 06:40:09 pm »

I forget, was my dwarf one of the original 7 or did she appear later?

If the second, I claim any useless bastard that's available to be the foundation of the great and powerful Army of Apexwhips. Male preferable, name of Duke Reynington III.

Got in a spot of bother with the Oppressive Regime about the time and place for the use of axes in solving problems. Apparently, lack of cheese is not an adequate reason to kill a cheesemaker and all his pets.
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

Firelordsky

• Bay Watcher
  • Moogle!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2011, 08:03:08 pm »

I'll take the farmer.
Country Name: Lindiria
Name: Sir Alexei Robret
Region: North
In Thirteen Colonies Game

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2011, 08:11:16 pm »

Dorf me as a dwarf likely to get drafted into the military.

Name: Skipp
Crime: Smuggling
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Theifofdreams

• Bay Watcher
  • Pay no attention to the Z
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2011, 10:00:14 pm »

Dorf me as a male mechanic, please.

Crime: Engineering a Noble's throne room to flood with the pull of a lever that was suppose to release a pleasant mist.

The_Fool76

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2011, 10:07:10 pm »

Oh wow, wasn't expecting quite this much interest. :D 

I think I should note that if you want you can PM me their crime/fetish/whatever if you would like to keep it a secret till it gets revealed in the course of the story.  :) 

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2011, 05:53:49 pm »

I shall take the male Farmer. Argonnek is his name. Pretty much the same backstory as before. If necessary, I'll PM it to you again.

The_Fool76

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2011, 06:08:51 pm »

I'll take the farmer.
I shall take the male Farmer. Argonnek is his name. Pretty much the same backstory as before. If necessary, I'll PM it to you again.
Hmm... only one way to solve this. TO THE ARENA!
 8)

I'll go through my list of dwarves tonight and see about putting up some profiles and matching people up to dwarves.

PS. Argonnek, I do have the backstory still.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 06:11:21 pm by The_Fool76 »

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2011, 06:15:25 pm »

The others would fit acceptably, but "Farmer" is the closest profession to the requested Butcher.

The_Fool76

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2011, 06:25:06 pm »

The others would fit acceptably, but "Farmer" is the closest profession to the requested Butcher.
I'll give you an actual dedicated butcher.  For reasons that will become clear, every grazer that has arrived at the fort has gone straight into the food stockpiles. I'll also give you the job of fish cleaner while there aren't larger animals to slaughter if that's ok?

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2011, 07:12:19 pm »

That's fine, yeah.

The_Fool76

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2011, 11:33:45 am »

Argh... Argonnek, the dwarf I was going to give you is ... ah ... having Fun... Looks like you get the dwarf with Surgery skills instead. (That's like butchery right? ;) )

Anyway, here are the dwarfs that have been claimed so far, along with their important info:

Spoiler: Imaku (Imakuni) (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Firelordsky (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Skipp (Deathsword) (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Theifofdreams (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Argonnek (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Helf (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Eliza (Lizar) (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Lockspear(Lockspear) (click to show/hide)

Unclaimed dwarves:
Spoiler: Female Dwarf 1 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Female Dwarf 2 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Female Dwarf 3 (click to show/hide)

Doomed Dwarves:
Spoiler: Doomed Dwarf 1 (click to show/hide)

List of people waiting on dwarves:
Spoiler: Fniff (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: NRDL (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: GreatWyrmGold (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 09:28:09 pm by The_Fool76 »

The_Fool76

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Strike the -Buzzards- Earth!
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2011, 11:38:31 am »

--- Second Entry ---
The animals bolted wild eyed as a foul flock of buzzards descended on us.  We smashed open the crate of axes and several of us grabbed one in the moments before they were upon us.  Now buzzards themselves would be bad enough, but as soon as these got near it became clear that these were undead abominations.  Most of them were nothing but bare bone but a few had just enough flesh still clinging to their remains to produce an awful stench.

The fight was brief and mostly one-sided despite our lack of any skill.  Despite being undead abominations, they were still only birds.  Large birds though so we didn't emerge entirely untouched. Oden had her nose broken by one and Tombs is limping a bit from the battering she took to her leg.  Both were quite unhappy as a result and I can't say I blame them.  Here we are, no real supplies, in the middle of a sinister forest, no hope to return or press forward unless we wish to walk, on the run from the law, and now undead buzzard bait. 

I feel no real shame in saying that I seriously contemplated just falling on one of the axes right then and there and ending it all.  I think the only thing that kept me from it was when Tombs put the axe over her shoulder and started walking towards a nearby tree with a determined look in her eye.  When asked where she was going she responded with, "If we want to live we need some walls.  To build walls we need wood. I have an axe and that is a tree."  She might not be the most eloquent of speakers but I think it was more her stubborn refusal to be discouraged that inspired me to stick it out.

"Come on" I said to the others, "She is right, we won't survive a month without a shelter in this place.  Lets chop down some of these trees before worse shows up than some undead birds." At that moment Loki decided to speak up. "Walls won't do us a damn bit of good if we just starve behind them.  We don't have a bit of food."  I gazed out at the dead and barren landscape around us.  There wasn't a living plant to be seen.  At that moment the two animals that had pulled our cart wandered back up to it.  "You have a good point but the only things I see we can eat are those." I said pointing at the horse and buffalo. 

There was a general moment of quiet consideration.  If we butchered the animals there would be nothing left to pull the cart even if we did manage to fix it.  Once again I looked at the dead landscape around us, "I hate to say this, but if we don't eat them, they are just going to starve along with us." Again there was a long pause. "I'll do it." said Loki. "Do what? I asked a bit confused." "Butcher and cook them of course.  I brought up the question of food so ... "  "I guess this is it den? We weally are going to die here?" asked Oden her words a bit distorted by her broken nose.  Cog started to cry at that statement.  "I just want to go home." 

"Well we aren't dead yet so I suppose we might as well try putting that off as long as we can.  Loki go ahead and get us some fresh food, the rest of you, lets see about making a place to survive." With that I hefted my own axe and headed for a tree.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 11:43:38 am by The_Fool76 »
Pages: [1] 2 3