Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Getting back into pixel art  (Read 1947 times)

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
Getting back into pixel art
« on: September 11, 2011, 06:47:56 pm »

So, I used to draw spaceships. On other forums I was apparently really good. Anyway, now that I'm planning to start a game, I've decided to do some art beforehand. This includes this thing:

I haven't added turrets, etc yet.

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 06:55:29 pm by _DivideByZero_ »
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

klingon13524

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mongols are cool!
    • View Profile
Re: Getting back into pixel art
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2011, 02:46:49 am »

Make it a little more rounded/smooth. Or you could further exadurate (spelled that wrong) the edginess to make it comical/over the top.
By creating a gobstopper that never loses its flavor he broke thermodynamics
Maybe it's parasitic. It never loses its flavor because you eventually die from having your nutrients stolen by it.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2011, 04:29:28 am »

That *is* good.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2011, 04:31:20 am »

Got a sudden urge to play MoO2.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2011, 04:36:23 am »

The only thing I see wrong is the over-detailization (which is not a word but whatever screw you). There are no flat spots that look like a non-mini turret could be fitted on.

Regardless of the (constructive) criticism, that is pretty damn awesome pixel art at least as far as I can tell. Definitely better than what I make.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2011, 03:06:26 pm »

Mmm yes, very nice. But as Tarran mentioned, you might have gone a liiiiiiiiiittle bit overboard with the details, but with that said, better too many than too few. I personally have a huge problem with my stuff being too bland, a problem which you obviously don't share. :P
Looking forward to seeing more! And the game too, if you get that far. Which you hopefully do.
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

Svampapa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2011, 04:00:17 pm »

Funny. My reaction was "If we only had had the resolutions to allow this kind of detail back in the day!".

And yes. The MOO urge does set in.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2011, 09:40:13 pm »

I'll need at least 16 stellar converters, stat! That thing's going down.

(4000+ heavy laser-armed fighters would suffice as well.)

That thing would register as a Titan class vessel in MoO2 if I recall correctly. And I agree, if only we had such resolutions back then. Some games need a proper modern reboot. Same games, more up to date.

Heck, I can imagine a hi-res upgrade for Starcon2 would rock.

EDIT:
So, does that mean we'll be seeing much bigger things in the future? Like Dreadnoughts and such? I look forward to it.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 09:50:51 pm by Itnetlolor »

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2011, 09:45:21 pm »

It's actually a frigate :)

Anyway, thanks for the comments, guys. I'll be sure to find some space to put turrets... I noticed a glaring lack of such space already when trying to add the aforementioned turrets.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2011, 11:13:41 pm »

Updated with an Ion Bolter as the primary weapon, with a number of concussive shell cannons as side armament. A grenade launcher faces the back but it can't actually hit anything to the right of itself... making it somewhat useless for point defense. Perhaps in the game grenade launchers will be anti-fighter, something that the concussive cannons can also fulfill just fine. Still, this thing needs point defense.

EDIT:

I think the turrets will stand out more in-game.

And with this, I now have general assets to begin programming my game with. Now to just get better at java...
« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 11:20:09 pm by _DivideByZero_ »

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2011, 11:21:31 pm »

Fairly fine. Though it's kinda hard to see the weapons. It's like giving a person a tank with numerous tubes sticking out of it of varying lengths and saying that there's a gun on it. :P

Also, what do you want point defense against?
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2011, 04:56:23 pm »

Ah, just fighters, missiles, explosives, and other deadly things that conventional weapons are near-useless against. For a frigate, I plan this one to be unusually clumsy for a frigate but make up for that with versatility.

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2011, 05:15:29 pm »

It kind of looks like it's centre of mass is a bit to the left. In an actual spacecraft, this would be a problem. Realistic space physics might not be your top priority, but it still makes the ship look off. :) I suggest you either make the thing symmetric or make the engines asymmetric. The bulkiness doesn't really matter, though. I think there should also be more contrast between the "important" bits like weapons and the filler bits. Maybe make them protrude more? Or get rid of most of the bright green stuff and get some colour contrast going.

But yes, this does look good.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2011, 09:15:49 pm »

I uploaded a version with different engines, hopefully the different placement will fix the whole "looks lopsided" issue.

This one has no turrets, by the way.

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2011, 06:58:48 am »

Why does it have a giant syringe on the left side? :P I know that's not what it is, but I can't get the idea out of my head.

On a more serious note, I'm just going to go and say that it looks rather ugly to me. There's really no shape to it; even an asymmetric ship can still have an overall pleasing design, but this one just like kitbashed kludge. If I were you, I'd extend the left side and add more engines on that side as well. Possibly extend the engines to the point that they're behind the syringe. Just one person's opinion of course.

The details, though, are very pretty.
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]
Pages: [1] 2