Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Getting back into pixel art  (Read 1945 times)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Getting back into pixel art
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2011, 02:21:00 pm »

Furthermore, there's no perspective. It looks as though the parts lower down on the hull are larger than the parts higher up (which they are) for no reason other than to make them look lower down on the hull (which is the reason), and there's very little shadowing. The entire thing is just too convoluted for its scale. My guess at the rough contours of the ship would be something like this:

(where red = higher)

But even that took me twenty minutes to work out. You want that sort of thing to be immediate.

Edit:
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 02:40:38 pm by 3 »

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2011, 02:44:17 pm »

Why does it have a giant syringe on the left side? :P I know that's not what it is, but I can't get the idea out of my head.

On a more serious note, I'm just going to go and say that it looks rather ugly to me. There's really no shape to it; even an asymmetric ship can still have an overall pleasing design, but this one just like kitbashed kludge. If I were you, I'd extend the left side and add more engines on that side as well. Possibly extend the engines to the point that they're behind the syringe. Just one person's opinion of course.

The details, though, are very pretty.

I noticed that while drawing it, as well. I've realized that asymmetry... is at the very least much more difficult to do than it looks. It does look cobbled together, and I agree with you on that part. I've actually started making a symmetrical ship of the same style, and I can say hands-down that it's considerably simpler to both design and draw.

Furthermore, there's no perspective. It looks as though the parts lower down on the hull are larger than the parts higher up (which they are) for no reason other than to make them look lower down on the hull (which is the reason), and there's very little shadowing. The entire thing is just too convoluted for its scale. My guess at the rough contours of the ship would be something like this:

(where red = higher)

But even that took me twenty minutes to work out. You want that sort of thing to be immediate.

Edit: Potentially more comprehensible block-coloured version

Hmm. I've always wondered how to do shadows and such in space. The problem is that in-game, there will be lights coming from multiple directions. Therefore, I'm not sure exactly how to do the shading. My solution up to this point has been to color the lower parts a darker color than the rest, which seems to work, but it hasn't been done on this ship, specifically. Looking at starfarer's ship designs (part of my inspiration) it seems that this method would work had I actually used it.

EDIT: I made this thing using some new art as well as some severed bits of the old ship.

Hmm, in hindsight, I should have done this earlier. I need to clean up the outlines.

On a black background:

« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 04:18:55 pm by _DivideByZero_ »
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2011, 03:31:47 pm »

Battlecruiser operational.

:P

Loads better, looks less cluttered and more pretty. Could still do with a bit of depth, as i get the feeling that something's supposed to be on top of other things (turret in the middle?), but it's hard to make out. Extremely detailed, like the previous one, which is good, except that it can be a tiny bit difficult to recognize the individual parts. Other than that, superb. I wish i could detail like that. :U
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2011, 04:59:23 pm »

Haha, thanks. The thing in the middle you were talking about... do you mean the section in the front? That part is intended to be a future turret mount. I suppose I can clarify that. Thanks though.
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)
Pages: 1 [2]