Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: I'm going to try to put a colony in the circus. Advice?  (Read 3320 times)

Nunzillor

Re: I'm going to try to put a colony in the circus. Advice?
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2011, 03:37:46 pm »

Obsidianize the entirety of **** directly after breaching it.

EDIT: err, not what I should have said at all, sorry.  I don't think that's even immediately possible...  Instead:

First off, temporarily wall in an unskilled miner before breaching each new layer of cotton candy.  Then dig down.  Repeat until you expose the HFS.  See if clowns immediately rise and tickle the helpless miner.  If they do, look for another tube of adamantine and repeat the process.  Otherwise, take down the walls.  I think the HFS will temporarily leave you alone.  Pump in some magma through the tube, and bucket in some water through multiple channels from above, creating a 3x3 tube of obsidian directly below the last candy layer.  Wait for the magma in the center of your newly created tube to evaporate, or obsidianize that tile and dig it out.  Dig down, through the first layer of slade.

Create your fort (or a temporary fort) below.  Slowly expand up onto the first level of the circus with quick masons, if you want, but make sure to create temporary redundant walls for each new extension so that you don't risk losing much progress.

I'm not too confident about this idea, to tell you the truth...  But if it works, it should be much faster than a lot of alternative methods.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 09:36:56 pm by Nunzillor »

ulan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2011, 12:19:12 am »

Tin Bronze or Arsenical Bronze? What mod is this and is the difference between those two?

franti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2011, 04:42:04 am »

Tin Bronze or Arsenical Bronze? What mod is this and is the difference between those two?
Adds in Native Arsenic and turns Realgar/Orpiment into Arsenic ores. Tin Bronze is the old 1 Tin: 1 Copper formula, Arsenical Bronze is 3 Copper: 1 Arsenic and isn't quite as good as Tin Bronze.
Adamantine, Steel, Pig Iron, Iron, Bronze, Bismuth Bronze, Platinum, Brass, Black Bronze, Billon, Rose Gold, Electrum, Bismuth, Aluminum, Gold, Copper, Tin, Sterling Silver, Silver, Nickel, Zinc, Lead, Nickel Silver, Trifle Pewter, Fine Pewter, Lay Pewter.

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2011, 12:22:28 pm »

A goblin grinder sounds like a lot of work.
And I understand that dividing the main wave up makes it easier, but so does having more troops. I think that if I can get 50x1 hallway with 10x spear traps, every demon has to go through 500 spears before it gets to the military, which reduces their numbers to near-even levels.

And the reason I'm focused on military is that when I do get down into hell, I can't have everything be trapped: I need a way to manually kill the demons.

I didn't explain myself very well, and then I wanted to wait for a bit, because I wanted to make sure my idea works before I fully recommend it :)  (I'm working on a big project that's probably going to need just about every tile of usable space on the map, so I need the circus myself.)

Here's how I just took on the main wave with 6 pieces of blue, on a map with no other weapon-grade metal (yay nickel!), with zero casualties:

Code: [Select]

#######
dhbsb    ->to the circus!
#######

d is door, h is artifact hatch cover (just there as bait, not over anything in particular), b is blue raising bridge with blue mechanism, s is a single blue spike with blue mechanism

I put a double hatch/pit thing (sort of an airlock pit) over the top, just in case I needed to safely drop bait animals, but I didn't have to use it all.

This way, they chase the miner out, but so long as the miner has even a few steps of a lead, the door closes and blocks line of sight, then the clowns focus on the artifact hatch-- from two tiles away, of course.  Wait for them all to pile onto the square, block them in so they don't dodge, and pull on repeat.  It seemed a lot easier to me than building 500 spikes in 50 traps.

If you don't have an artifact hatch cover, some other kinds of artifact furniture will probably work (all I know is hatch covers work, and statues don't.)  If you don't have any appropriate artifact furniture, that's why I was talking about high speed switches-- you can probably still use a masterwork door or something, you just have to be sure to get your bridge up before they break down the door.

If you plan to wall off the circus all the way to the edge, I think you're going to have serious problems, no matter your military-- unless you somehow get a bunch of baddies in the center of the map, and manage to keep your masons from getting any aggro.  When you're down to a few tiles to wall, every time the clowns get killed, they'll respawn (more or less immediately) at the only place they can spawn, forever and ever.  So eventually, you're going to need a way to contain them, rather than kill them, so that you can stop the respawn.  Same design as above makes for a great containment trap, although you might have to rebuild it at various locations, or else leave a trail of breadcrumbs (okay, a trail of chained cavies).

If you're fine with a mostly-colonized hell, you can avoid that problem-- so long as they've got one tile width to spawn at the map edge, with your wall the second tile in, they won't go crazy infinity-spawn on you.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 12:25:33 pm by Nil Eyeglazed »
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

franti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2011, 03:18:58 pm »

UPDATE:
Interesting developments. Firstly, I have approximately 2.5 metric shit-tons of Steel in my stockpiles, which rules.

My Weaponsmith went and got a Fey mood. Great, right? Well, he likes Nickel and Crossbows and decided that he would prefer raw gems to cut gems, so instead of a Steal Spear with bands of Ruby, I have a Nickel Crossbow with bands of rough Rock Crystal. Oh well. At least he pumps out masterworks like it's a bodily function.

A second Nightwing(Nightshade? Can't recall) showed up. I rounded up another military squad with the old uniform of iron spears and sent them out. All died. Oh, yeah, I traded the Iron spears. Made a batch of Steel Spears. Sent them out. All died. I guess I should've given them shields as well. By now, the damn thing has killed 10 dwarves and is named OilyFang the Attack of Mines, which is the ONLY reasonable name anything has ever gotten in any of my forts.

I locked myself in and I'm waiting for the Humans to show up and kill it. I'm too old for this shit.
All the militia dwarves were Furnace Operators/Engravers/Glassmakers, so I didn't lose anybody valuable or with a lot of friends. Blackbronze will go on.

(Also, did I not mention the randomly generated name is BlackBronze? I'm giving every dwarf in the military a Black Bronze Breastplate/Shield for bonus epic points)
Adamantine, Steel, Pig Iron, Iron, Bronze, Bismuth Bronze, Platinum, Brass, Black Bronze, Billon, Rose Gold, Electrum, Bismuth, Aluminum, Gold, Copper, Tin, Sterling Silver, Silver, Nickel, Zinc, Lead, Nickel Silver, Trifle Pewter, Fine Pewter, Lay Pewter.

franti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2011, 03:21:27 pm »

I really can't wait until I've killed the demons and put a fort down there.
This forum post will menace with spikes of 40K and 300 quotes.
Pages: 1 [2]