Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 665

Author Topic: My Little Fortress. Glitterglen.  (Read 260714 times)

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
Re: My Little Fortress. Glitterglen.
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2011, 09:51:07 am »

Can I have the medic?

TF2 medic style personality, name of Friesden.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Impending Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • has gone stark raving mad!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2011, 10:25:11 am »

What is it about this mod that causes it to want to make all pegasi obese? I noticed that while reading over Haybeers as well. Ah well, he's a soldier, I guess he'll work it off pretty quick.
Quote from: Robert A.Heinlein
Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion, that violence has never solved anything, is wishful thinking at its worst.

KingStrongbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • By Celestia's Beard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2011, 04:36:56 pm »

A strong bond with nature????

I guess she's gonna have to come to terms with that filly-hood trauma of trees and flight training I was working on, perhaps put all that pent-up anger into part-time warrior training with the axe whenever her wood-cutting and carpentry skills aren't in demand.

Looking forward to seeing how this is going to develop.

Daarkening Kaos, CIS.

The "A pony with a strong bond with nature." bit is at the end of every earth ponies description. It effectively replaces the "A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry" that dwarves have in the vanilla version. Thus, I think your woodcutter can keep hating trees as long as you want.

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Gibbering Idiot +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2011, 08:59:26 pm »

Reading the rest of her bio suggests she's altogether too cheerful to hold a grudge for long and does like working outdoors, so it's no great thing to change my perception before we get too far in.  As she likes ballista bolts, perhaps she should try her hand (hoof?) at carving a couple to decorate her room.  But she still wants a tall tower with landing pad on top, preferably made of wood blocks, if any can be spared for the project.  And the 'P' on top made of Aluminium or Nickel.

Darkening Kaos, CIS.
So! Failed to make peace, war looms, kill the infidels... what are our plans for the weekend?
The Giant Moles in the caverns of my current fort breed like crazy, even while regularly being decimated by other beasts entering them...

Nidokoenig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2011, 09:53:36 pm »

What is it about this mod that causes it to want to make all pegasi obese? I noticed that while reading over Haybeers as well. Ah well, he's a soldier, I guess he'll work it off pretty quick.

That is odd, when I'm testing the new updates I'll see if actually happens or is just randomly happens using a 255 pony embark, then we can get to spitballing about why that might be.

Wow, honey badger pegasi, and regular honey badger ponies? That's a whole lot of fun.

Reading the rest of her bio suggests she's altogether too cheerful to hold a grudge for long and does like working outdoors, so it's no great thing to change my perception before we get too far in.  As she likes ballista bolts, perhaps she should try her hand (hoof?) at carving a couple to decorate her room.  But she still wants a tall tower with landing pad on top, preferably made of wood blocks, if any can be spared for the project.  And the 'P' on top made of Aluminium or Nickel.

Darkening Kaos, CIS.

Wood shouldn't be a problem, given that woodcrafters can cast spells to turn regular plants into wood in a wood painting workshop(based on Twilight turning an apple into a stagecoach). You can take advantage of that by making surplus crops into wood, then turning that wood into potash and growing more crops next season, and thus making a big enough surplus to make a tower out of plump helmets. Oh, and for an earth pony, she'd be trying her teeth at carving ballista bolts, since her mouth is the only grasper she has.

Khenal

• Bay Watcher
  • Humble smelter, making music
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2011, 03:23:51 am »

Khenal's Diary

Hmm, I'm not sure if "Diary" is the right word.  I'll try a new one later.  Anyway, I can't believe I've been banished to this Gliterglen place.  How was I supposed to know that ambassador was allergic to peanuts?  Oh well, it's not like I really felt like I fit in at home.  Maybe ponies can treat me like a regular pony and not bow all the time, that'd be nice.

Khenal's Journal

This place isn't so bad, though it's really, really hot here.  Nopony seems to know what I should do, so I've been just doing what I can to help where it seems like we need it.  Fishing was interesting and relaxing, though topside seems a tad dangerous.  I also helped a little with the farms, those farmer ponies have serious work!  After helping plant a few things, I started simply hauling things.  It's not bad work, hauling.  I enjoy it.  The others have finally relaxed and don't stand slack-jawed when they see me doing something..."common"?  Unroyal?  I dunno, but I like doing this stuff.

Khenal's Log

Ugh, I've been assigned as the manager.  I was worried that the bowing and scraping was rearing it's ugly head again, but it turned out that nopony else knew anything about managing work orders.  I think Charity saw my sour expression when she gave me the news.  Well, I'll try my best.  At least it doesn't seem to take too long to do this stupid paperwork.  I'd hate to sit in an office all day, it's nice to actually get out and do real work.

Wow, it's kinda scary how closely his in game info fits the personality I was planning for him.  He's also incredibly green: emerald eyes, sea green coat and jade hair.  I'm gonna find that pony builder somebody linked to and post a pic if I can get it to work. And a link so other people can do stuff too :)

*EDIT
Pic of Khenal
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
and the pony creater I used.  It doesn't have the option of coloring the wings seperate from the body, but paint can do good things.  If anypony wants me to do their pony in this thing, just say so  :D
« Last Edit: September 18, 2011, 03:52:14 am by Khenal »
Slave traders occasionally bring feral ghouls for trade. I haven't decided if this is a bug or feature yet.

KingStrongbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • By Celestia's Beard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2011, 02:58:54 pm »

Well that would have been unpleasant. Khenal, got stuck on top of a wall, while returning from a fishing trip, ended up dropping his mussel up there. Damn flier pathing. Managed to get him down quickly, fortunately, but if I hadn't caught it he would have dehydrated.

In game pony screen shots

Charity's Journal 20th Limestone 94

Our Mason Lanlar, along with a few assistants, have put together a stone wall around our entrance, it won't keep a proper siege out. But it will be enough for the local wildlife. Friesden, that Pegasus filly, she's taken a look over the Hospital area and has drawn up a list of things she'll need. It's a quite reasonable list of demands, mostly she needs tables, for surgery, and storage space.

26th Limestone 94

More Honey Badge Ponies have been spotted upon the surface. We sent Starkey to take care of them. He did so in a beautiful dance of blood and copper blades. However, upon returning home, I noticed he had several bruises, all along his body, wings, and spine. Clearly, our need for more soldiers is growing, we can't keep relying on Starkey alone. I know this.

I asked Starkey for his recommendations, and he seems to want to create two squads, one for close combat, and one composed entirely of pegasi with crossbows, to move quickly to wherever they are needed.

I agree with his assessment, however, even if I were to draft some ponies under him, we have no metal for weapons or armor. The next supply caravan can't come soon enough.

3rd Sandstone 94

A fresh group of "migrants." Three of them. First one, a Pegasus, he's worked as a presser in the city, but he's got a bit of medical training as well. Though he seems to lazy, to be trusted with anything as important as our medical needs. I think he's going to go in Starkey's crossbow squad when that get's set up. Second, we got a pair of Unicorn stallions. One, named Nicolta Tesla is an gem cutter, and the other, who's name I forget, is a gem setter.

addendum

Looks like we're going to be able to start that crossbow squad now, that Pegasus craftspony came to me, and she admitted she'd been hiding the fact that she was a veteran from the military back home, she offered to help out Starkey. But I've decided to let her command the new squad, and her first recruit, that new pegasus.

4th Sandstone 94

I thought I had been doing Khenal a favor by making him the manager. I thought it the best way to allow him to be useful but not have to dirty his hooves with "common" jobs. However, he seemed unhappy in this position. He still spent his time doing other jobs. I've talked to him about it and it seems he'd rather help the town in a more direct manner, and doesn't want any special treatment. We talked some more and when the possibility of the military came up, he seemed genuinely interested in it. So, I'm officially replacing him as manager with one of the unicorns and assigning him as Starkey's new recruit. Starkey's going to begin training him and hopefully before long he'll be a respectable warrior.

18th Sandstone 94

Perhaps I misjudged poor Lolum. That was the name of the Pegasus I described as lazy before, who I had drafted into the archery squad. He has certainly proven himself this day. Due to a mistake in design. A magma crab had made it's way into our lowest levels. Trapping three defenseless ponies between it and miles of solid stone. When brave Lolum, lept unto the creature, without a weapon and nothing more than his plain clothing to protect him from the heat, smoke enveloped the battle, the onlookers couldn't tell exactly what happened. All we know is that the Crab is dead. Killed by this pony, and that Lolum delivered the final strike while his hair and his skin was burning off.

He has fallen but will be remembered. Cryptson will dig out a small tomb near where he fell, and I'm instructing Nicolta Tesla to smooth the stone inside of it.

In retelling of the story the ponies have named the Magma Crab Zuglaroslan.

Starkey is being sent down to stop any more that might come up, before the hole can be patched.

The Pony List

Khenal

• Bay Watcher
  • Humble smelter, making music
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2011, 05:18:42 pm »

Khenal's Account

I am such a foal!  I was returning from fishing with a rather nice mussel and I decided to stop for a moment on the retaining wall.  I never facehooved so hard as when I realized I didn't have enough room for takeoff!  Luckily, the others noticed and helped me down.  I've never been so embarrassed in all my life.

Khenal's Testament

Bleh, "testament" is defiantly not the word for this book.  Charity came by to ask how the managing was going.  I tried to play nonchalant, but she could see right through me.  We talked for a while and I told her how I just wanted to be treated like everypony else.  She still seems a bit unsure of this, but was kind enough to assign somepony else to managing the work orders and asked me to talk with Starkey about military training.

Starkey, there's one scary pony.  He's the main martial pony around here, with several kills to his name.  He's a bit gruff, and a tough teacher, but it makes sense.  I mean, this is a deadly serious profession he's trying to get through my thick skull.  He's gotta be hard so I don't just panic when ponies need protecting, and I appreciate that I get no special treatment from him.  After training, I try to help with other tasks around also, but I'm usually even more exhausted than when I helped with the farming!  It's a good exhausted, though.

Khenal's Record

Deadly serious profession indeed.  A magma crab managed to get into the fortress and had several ponies trapped!  Lolum, a recruit from the other squad, was the closest military pony and didn't hesitate to come to the defense of those ponies.  Details of the fight are sparse, the witnesses say there was a lot of smoke and fire.  Lolum defeated the magma crab and saved those ponies, though it cost him his life.  Everypony is doing what they can to honor him, setting up his tomb and beautifying it.  Me, I'm doing my best to live up to his legacy:  to do my best to protect those ponies of Glitterglen, no matter the personal cost.

Dang flier pathing trying to get me killed :P  I got bored and used the pony creator to make the ponies that had descriptions posted.

Firstly, our beloved overseer: Charity!

Followed by our intrepid miner pony: Cryptson

Next is our resident badass and military pony: Starkey, complete with copper armor

The woodspony: ThunderSplinter

Our jemcutter: Nicolta Tesla, wearing a bit of his work

Lastly, but not leastly, our chief medical pony: Friesden, in her scrubs

Slave traders occasionally bring feral ghouls for trade. I haven't decided if this is a bug or feature yet.

soaringdragon42

• Bay Watcher
  • Pillow Hoarding Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2011, 05:28:23 pm »

Can I have the female pegasus craftpony? Name her Pillomino.

I'll try to make journal posts, but between school and my muse having run off somewhere, we'll see what happens.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2011, 05:30:10 pm »

Friesden's journal

New plan. Pegasi have a short runway requirement. What if I was to make the wings larger? I'll try the first experiment on Khenal....just need a donor for the wings....That craftspony doesn't look like she's doing anything important. How to arrange an... 'unfortunate' accident, though?
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

soaringdragon42

• Bay Watcher
  • Pillow Hoarding Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2011, 05:33:54 pm »

Friesden's journal

New plan. Pegasi have a short runway requirement. What if I was to make the wings larger? I'll try the first experiment on Khenal....just need a donor for the wings....That craftspony doesn't look like she's doing anything important. How to arrange an... 'unfortunate' accident, though?

Ack! XD

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2011, 05:37:38 pm »

Friesden's journal

Ack! XD

Funny thing is, I posted this JUST as you claimed her :P

BowlSoldier

• Bay Watcher
  • Don't **** with the Great Long Axe.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2011, 05:37:48 pm »

Mind if I take the Female Pegasus Metalworker from the original 7? Have her have great respect for magma and its magical powers, far greater powers than those used by those self-centered unicorns.

Also: that pony creator is awesome.

EDIT: Name: Cinderspark. Cindy for short.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 03:39:26 pm by BowlSoldier »
Campaigning for wheelchair rights for legless adventurers since 1995.

pantherrpg

• Bay Watcher
  • 20% Cooler in 10 seconds flat
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2011, 10:27:18 pm »

The diary of Nicolta Tesla

3rd Sandstone, 94
Today I arrived at Glitterglen with two other ponies. The overseer asked me what jobs I could do, so I started telling her about my current death-ray project.
She seemed glassy-eyed until I began explaining the work I had been doing on cutting gem lenses. At this point she interrupted me, saying she was glad the fort finally had a gem cutter, and galloped off.

Impending Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • has gone stark raving mad!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2011, 12:17:57 am »

The journal of Cap'n Starkey:

26th Limestone, 94

Well, our badger-pony problem doesn't appear to be getting better anytime soon. Not that they're much more than a nuisance, really - I made short work of this batch. It's actually quite the thrill, getting up close and personal with the enemy. I've been thinking I might hold off on taking up the crossbow again, stay down on the ground for awhile.

When I got back, Miss Charity took one look at me and told me to see Doc Friesden straight away. I told her I felt fine, but she insisted. I get that she worries about us, being our leader and all. But I'm a big colt and a soldier besides, I think I can take a few hard knocks.

- - - - - -

Just got back from a visit with the good doctor. I take back what I said about Miss Charity.

And the badgerponies.

And the crossbow. We could do with our own little Skyguard out here, and I told Miss Charity as much. She agreed, and said she'd see what she can do.

I wonder how hard it would be to put an axe on a crossbow? Or maybe a sword, swords are nice too...

*the rest of the page is filled with doodles of pegasi dealing death to badgerponies with a variety of crossbow-hybrid weapons*

3rd Sandstone, 94

Miss Charity introduced me to a couple of prospective recruits for our Skyguard: a filly I vaguely remember meeting in basic back home, and some new colt who just showed up this morning. I set her up as my first squadron leader, with the new kid - Lolum's his name - on her wing. Not much else we can do until we get some weapons and ammunition.

4th Sandstone, 94

Miss Charity is either exhorbitently overprotective, or she's got a thing for me. She sent me another rookie today, and this one's a doozy: a royal pony, direct descendant of the Goddesses. I spoke with this Khenal kid, and turns out he's the one who got stuck up on the wall the other day. I asked him how a pony with wings gets stuck on top of anything, and he told me he didn't have room to take off. Asked him if he knew how to hover, and he gave me a blank stare.

Yeah, you're with the ground squad, kid.

Or maybe not? God-kin can fly and use magic. I wonder how many crossbows he can levitate? Oooh, maybe he can carry a ballista like ol' Primrose used to do back home?

18th Sandstone 94

I guess this was bound to happen sooner or later.

Lolum went after a magma crab that cornered some ponies in the underground. Not sure how it went down exactly, but I saw him as they were rushing him up to the hospital. Poor kid was scarred up and bleeding all over, his mane and tail were burned clean off. Found out later he didn't make it. His wingleader took it real hard. She said she'd never lost anypony before, told her it happens to us all eventually. Asked me how I got over it, I told her I still haven't.

We said a little prayer to Kulet for him together, and I guess that made her feel better. I'd write a poem, but neither of us is any good at poetry. I hope Lolum doesn't mind.

(Kulet is listed as Starkey's deity twice, so I'm taking that to mean he's somewhere between moderate and devout.)
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 12:21:57 am by Impending Doom »
Quote from: Robert A.Heinlein
Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion, that violence has never solved anything, is wishful thinking at its worst.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 665