Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 665

Author Topic: My Little Fortress. Glitterglen.  (Read 262658 times)

Impending Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • has gone stark raving mad!
    • View Profile
Re: My Little Fortress. Glitterglen.
« Reply #45 on: September 19, 2011, 05:53:19 pm »

The Journal of Cap'n Starkey:

Private Khenal never showed up for practice today. I didn't see him until late this afternoon. I would've scolded the lad for skipping out, if I had been able to stop laughing at the ridiculous wooden shit tacked onto his wings. Oh goddesses, he looked like a fucking peacock, it was just grand. I imagine the hangover, plus the trouble of getting those damn things off will be punishment enough. Dammit, why didn't anyone tell me we threw those kinds of parties here?
Quote from: Robert A.Heinlein
Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion, that violence has never solved anything, is wishful thinking at its worst.

Khenal

• Bay Watcher
  • Humble smelter, making music
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 19, 2011, 08:07:48 pm »

Khenal's Tragedy

What?  Tragedy is a valid thing to call you, my book.  My life lately has certainly felt like the tragic tales of long ago.  I had never been hung over before, and through the haze I didn't notice these...things on my wings!  I had expected Captain Starkey to make me do 100 laps of the walls, or 2000 push ups, but he just laughed.  I was confused, until he managed to say "wings" while gasping for air.  And I thought the wall incident was embarrassing. 

Khenal's Report

It's been a few days since the peacock incident, and things are going well.  In hindsight, it was a good prank.  I even kept the things, they might make a good silly costume later.  I think I might ask Thunder Splinter about woodworking, see if I can make the things easier to wear.  They are pretty rough, I had to pick several splinters out of my wings after getting the things off.
Slave traders occasionally bring feral ghouls for trade. I haven't decided if this is a bug or feature yet.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 19, 2011, 08:20:01 pm »

Friesden's diary

Curses! And we would have gotten away with it too, if it hadn't been for that meddling pony! Good news is that the patient is trying the experiment himself, too. We can observe his results and improve on them ourselves! Now, to try our next experiment. Dropping him from a cliff and seeing if he can fly!
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Gibbering Idiot +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 20, 2011, 03:05:41 am »

From the diary of ThunderSplinter.

I've heard some daft ideas in my time but the latest ....um....idea (? if you can call it that) from Khenal takes the cupcake, working wooden extensions to his wings!  Has he not considered the extra effort that will be required to take-off with all that extra weight - even now he has difficulties taking off from a wall with his existing wings.

Seriously, Khenal, paint them in pretty colours and put them over the lintel of the gatehouse so that everyone knows this is a flier friendly area.

In possibly unrelated news, whoever is stealing my wooden logs, knock it off, there are much more important projects for that wood than whatever you are up to.

Signing off for now,
ThunderSplinter.
So! Failed to make peace, war looms, kill the infidels... what are our plans for the weekend?
The Giant Moles in the caverns of my current fort breed like crazy, even while regularly being decimated by other beasts entering them...

KingStrongbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • By Celestia's Beard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 20, 2011, 05:42:36 am »

Firstly, Haspen, I couldn't find where I said the second weaponsmith was a Pegasus but, she's actually a unicorn. I named her Ironya just the same, if you got a problem with that though speak up, and you can take someone else, though you might want to wait for the next group of migrants as we're running low on choices at the moment.

Secondly, New pony screen shots
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

There is a small unassuming brown leather bound book, worn down with age and use.  This book is kept by our overseerer Charity, and she is never parted from it, always hidden under the journal she normally keeps records in. She can be seen scribbling in it when she thinks no pony can see her, and has never let anypony see it. Inside the book is, among other things, the following entries.

Charity's Secret Diary 15th Malachite 94

That earth pony Cryptson came down to my working area in the dining room during his break today. He tried to start up a conversation with me. I told him I was busy but he kept trying to talk anyway, so I took my break early and chatted with him some. He's pretty smart, for an earth pony, we talked about our lives back in Tailentranced before Princess Dizesh Hugwax sent us to this gods forsaken land. I enjoyed talking to him, I hope he comes back to talk again soon.

Charity's Secret Diary 17th Malachite 94

Crypston came back to visit me again today. I hadn't noticed before how blue his coat is, and how pretty his eyes are. If only he weren't an earth pony...

Chairity's Secret Diary 14th 94

Gods what's happening to me. Cryptson keeps visiting with me, and I think I'm falling in love with him. The way he carries himself, the way his beautiful violet coat shimmers in the candle light. The way he acts, back home he would be considered a legend as strong a miner as he is, and yet he's as modest as they come. He is a good man, I know my father wouldn't approve, me a daughter of the Kindplays family, and he a common earth pony, of a common profession, but I love him all the same.

Charity's Journal 21st Opal 94

Our magma forges are properly up and running now. Ironya and Cinderspark are ecstatic. They can't wait to get to work, as soon as we have some proper materials imported. I have made sure that precautions are taken to avoid another Magma crab climbing into ar (A line streaks across the page as if the book had suddenly been ripped from the hooves of the writer. Below in a different handwriting, written in red is the following.

Lolum Abrasenshal and Zuglarolan. Lolum Abrasenshal and Zuglarolan. Lolum Abrasenshal and Zuglarolan. Lolum Abrasenshal and Zuglarolan. Lolum Abrasenshal and Zuglarolan. Lolum Abrasenshal and Zuglarolan. Lolum Abrasenshal and Zuglarolan. Lolum Abrasenshal and Zuglarolan. Lolum Abrasenshal and Zuglarolan. Lolum Abrasenshal and Zuglarolan. Lolum Abrasenshal and Zuglarolan. Lolum Abrasenshal and Zuglarolan. Lolum Abrasenshal and Zuglarolan. Lolum Abrasenshal and Zuglarolan. Lolum Abrasenshal and Zuglarolan. Lolum Abrasenshal and Zuglarolan.

(On the next page)

A frightening thing just happened. My book was torn from my hooves and threw across the room. Upon investigating I saw that the words in red on the previous page had appeared. It seems as if Lolum is unhappy with the speed at which we are setting up his resting place. I will go down personally and make sure that burial is achieved right away, hopefully that will be enough.

Charity's Journal 6th Obsidian 94

No additional sign of the apparition that visited me has been seen since we finished the tomb of Lolum. I hope this means he is gone for good. The supplies we were promised have not yet arrived. We were promised them by the end of winter, and while they are not technically late yet, I would have expected them by now. I hope for our sake that they have not run into misfortune. The jungle is a dangerous place, full of creatures capable of killing anypony wandering around carelessly. Or they might have been ambushed by Diomedian ponies. Cryptson says I'm just being paranoid. I hope he's right.

10th Obsidian 94

Avan Loelfotthor, that earth pony farmer, was spotted a flock of Honey Badger Pegasi, Starkey, Khenal, and Otik ran to deal with the problem. Almost immediately a war dog, that Khenal had trained was struck down. Khenal took a blow to his left front leg at the start, but then he displayed a level of ability I would not have expected from a raw recruit in his first real battle.

According to the others Khenal killed 5 of the flying bastards himself. Afterwords the battlefield was soaked in blood.

That spear Ironya forged for him is truly exceptional. I'd love to see what she could do with some proper steel.

14th Obsidian 94

I am relieved. The caravan of supplies has finally arrived. I'm having them deliver a special package to the Princess for me, a statue of me carved by my dear friend Pillomino (who I've previously referred to as Lanlar here, I've found out she prefers not to use her given name.) and a pair of puppy tallow cupcakes, the first attempt Khenal made in the kitchen. I hope she chokes on them.

Trading went fairly well overall. Traded most of Pillomino's statues for a pair of Apple Ents, one red delicious and own golden. Also, got a stray grizzly bear in a cage. Will discuss with Starkey how best to weaponize it.

I requested more metal bars/objects/anythings for next year, along with a few other odds and ends.

1st Granite 95

Hard to believe we've been here an entire year. I've filled up my journal, I'll have to get a new one. Looking back this first year here has been more successful than I could have ever hoped. We've set up a functioning community, have three of the bravest ponies I've ever seen watching over us, and I've met my love Cryptson. Praise Igest.

Here's hoping the coming year will go as smoothly.

Updated pony list

To the pony who asked for a save for purposes of looking at legends mode here it is. This copy has already been abandoned so you can go right into legends. This is my first time uploading a save, so when you have a problem let me know and I'll try again.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/41621737/region3.zip

One more thing.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 02:00:05 am by KingStrongbeard »

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 20, 2011, 05:59:34 am »

Friesden's journal

My plan is coming together as we speak! Khenal came in for a battered hoof, sustained during the battle. I've anaesthetised him, and as we write, we are dragging him to a nearby cliff. I've affixed his new extensions, and am about to toss him off... Here goes nothing!
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 20, 2011, 06:11:08 am »

As long as I get metals for weapons...

* Haspen is okay with said unicorn.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

KingStrongbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • By Celestia's Beard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 20, 2011, 06:23:18 am »

I hope you do get your metals Haspen. Unfortunately, I have been unable to find any real metal on the map yet. I'm going to import as much as possible. I could dig for adamantine. But, that's in such limited supply that I prefer to keep that in reserve for legendary smiths only. Unfortunately, training Ironya up to legendary will be slow without any local metal to practice with, but well get there. I did get some steel off the caravan however, so that's a start. First thing I'll do next time is have you forge a shiny new steel spear for Khenal.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 20, 2011, 06:40:58 am »

Just hope he survives being dropped off a cliff onto sharp rocks his trying to learn flying without a runway.

KingStrongbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • By Celestia's Beard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 20, 2011, 06:53:09 am »

Just hope he survives being dropped off a cliff onto sharp rocks his trying to learn flying without a runway.

As much as I would love to help you in this evil plan   dastardly deed  excellent experiment. In my experience fliers don't fall properly when the floor collapses beneath them. They just fall down one level and fly away. Without hitting the bottom, and getting hurt, like a proper dwarf. I noticed this, in another fort, when trying to re-injure a pegasus who left the hospital before being treated, and was getting infected, so that they would go back.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 20, 2011, 07:03:28 am »

I hope you do get your metals Haspen. Unfortunately, I have been unable to find any real metal on the map yet. I'm going to import as much as possible. I could dig for adamantine. But, that's in such limited supply that I prefer to keep that in reserve for legendary smiths only. Unfortunately, training Ironya up to legendary will be slow without any local metal to practice with, but well get there. I did get some steel off the caravan however, so that's a start. First thing I'll do next time is have you forge a shiny new steel spear for Khenal.

Weaponsmiths have better chances to get a mood, soooo... :P
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Theropod Watcher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 20, 2011, 01:41:39 pm »

Thanks for uploading the save! I do wonder why it's only year 94 though. One very odd thing I discovered is that Testgulfs, the only fortress in the civ (there's one town, 3 hamlets otherwise) is populated solely by the pegasus princess, Dizesh Hugwax. Everyone else has been killed by beast attacks. She's only the princess cause she moved in when the last guy was killed. She seems to have survived 3 beast attacks in the last 2 years on her own, though defeated, she gets away every time (Probably cause she's a pegasus, and they're rather fast).
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 01:44:44 pm by Theropod Watcher »

BowlSoldier

• Bay Watcher
  • Don't **** with the Great Long Axe.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 20, 2011, 01:48:18 pm »

There's mine made on that pony creator. Couldn't get the background to come out unfortunately, but there she is, showing off her work!
Campaigning for wheelchair rights for legless adventurers since 1995.

Khenal

• Bay Watcher
  • Humble smelter, making music
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 20, 2011, 01:52:19 pm »

Khenal's Autobiography

Hmm, that sounds a bit pretentious, what do you think Book?  Things have settled into a comforting rutine: I start my day training with Captain Starkey, have lunch and do whatever odd jobs need doing, and then finish with a short patrol of the surface.  I got to train a war dog over the last few days, though I don't know how much "war" it actually has in it.  I like to call him Lil' Urist.

Khenal's Debrief

Honeybadger Pegasi.  The Captain, Otik, Lil' Urist and myself rushed out to meet them.  Oh, Lil' Urist.  The badger pegasi tore him limb from limb.  When I saw them covered in his blood, something clicked in my head.  All the training the Captain had been trying to drill into me suddenly made perfect sense and time seemed to slow.  I could see everything.  Teeth, going for my throat, pivot left and set spear.  Straight in and out, don't want it getting stuck.  Duck under the hooves coming for my head, spear in the exposed stomach and slash out; no bones to obstruct it.  I could see the Captain and Otik fighting as well, and they were having no trouble.  Back to my foes.  When it all was said and done, I had accounted for five of the invaders and had only a chipped hoof for my troubles.  Charity told me to have it checked in the hospital, but I wanted to get this written before anything else.  The Captain says debriefs should be done asap.

Khenal's Book

Something odd is going on.  When I asked Thunder Splinter about the wing extensions, she felt they were a lost cause.  She suggested painting them and setting them somewhere as decoration, and I think I'll try my hoof at that if we ever get paint.  However, after seeing Dr. Friesden for my hoof, I had this strange dream.  I dreamed I was falling, which is silly.  I spread my wings and glided, though I couldn't seem to gain any altitude.  I drifted down and came to a soft landing and just looked around, and then I noticed my wings.  The extensions were back.  Rather, new ones were attached to my wings.  These looked like they had been more carefully crafted, though they still chafe.  Yes, chafe; present tense.  When I awoke in my bed, those extensions from my dream were there in reality.  I took them off and sat confused for a while.  Who would make these things?  Who could make these things?  Why?  I think I'll ask Thunder Splinter about them when I next see her, maybe she made them?

Khenal's Book

I think I like simply calling you my book, Book.  It's so relaxingly informal.  The caravan arrived today and I got to try cooking.  The recipe I found looked odd, but we had the ingredients easily at hoof so I tried it.  I thought cupcakes needed flour, but they apparently can work with tallow.  Who knew?  I don't think they turned out bad, they looked like the picture at least.  Charity sent them out with the caravan as a gift to the princess.  Are princesses allergic to puppy tallow?

Khenal, the unassuming guineapig :P  I'll edit in pics of the new ponies once I do them

Here's the other two, since BowlSoldier did his :)

Ironya

Pillomino

I noticed that Cinderspark and Pillomino are practically twins.  The only physical difference in their descriptions is how they have their hair done, heh.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 04:54:43 pm by Khenal »
Slave traders occasionally bring feral ghouls for trade. I haven't decided if this is a bug or feature yet.

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Gibbering Idiot +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 21, 2011, 03:11:27 am »

From the Diary of ThunderSplinter.

Well.  This is just getting curioser and curioser.  Khenal came into my workshop wearing yet another set of absurd wing extensions, and the very fact that he could not get them off without considerable help tells me that he could not have installed them in the first place.  Add his equally bizzare story of waking up with them after a freaky dream just makes me shiver.  I did get an opportunity to examine how they were attached, thinking perhaps that it was some practical joke by an engineer, but that seems unlikely with the way the extensions were attached by cave spider silk thread and some knots I have no knowledge of - I do not know who to ask about knots....hmmm, this is a quandry that will require some further investigation.

In unrelated news:  the theft of wood continues, although the other woodcraftponies seem to recall an order for crutches to be made, but, when I asked the bookkeeper, no orders for crutches could be found.  I will take matters into my own hooves and sleep near the wood stockpile to see if I can catch the wood-lifter in the act.

Signing off for now,
ThunderSplinter.
So! Failed to make peace, war looms, kill the infidels... what are our plans for the weekend?
The Giant Moles in the caverns of my current fort breed like crazy, even while regularly being decimated by other beasts entering them...
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 665