Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 656 657 [658] 659 660 ... 665

Author Topic: My Little Fortress. Glitterglen.  (Read 262563 times)

Khenal

• Bay Watcher
  • Humble smelter, making music
    • View Profile
Re: My Little Fortress. Glitterglen.
« Reply #9855 on: April 12, 2012, 11:10:02 pm »

I walk towards Charity's office, deep in thought.  Rumor had it that the General was coming.  If true... Hugwax wouldn't be far behind.  I try to put the thought away for later, I had business to attend to now.  Charity wanted to talk to me about something.  I salute the guard at her office, then knock on the door.

"Lady Charity?  You wished to see me?"
Slave traders occasionally bring feral ghouls for trade. I haven't decided if this is a bug or feature yet.

KingStrongbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • By Celestia's Beard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9856 on: April 12, 2012, 11:13:33 pm »

Charity is pacing in her office. She jumps at the knock on the door but quickly remembers that she had sent for Khenal.

"Ah yes Khenal please come in. We have much to discuss."

Charity continues to pace back and forth.

Khenal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9857 on: April 12, 2012, 11:20:29 pm »

I enter and close the door behind me, giving Charity a small bow.  It's mostly for my respect for her, but maybe just a little because she doesn't like it, which in turn earns her respect.

"Are you alright, Charity?"  I ask, watching her pace.
Slave traders occasionally bring feral ghouls for trade. I haven't decided if this is a bug or feature yet.

KingStrongbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • By Celestia's Beard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9858 on: April 12, 2012, 11:26:54 pm »

Charity continues to pace, she looks up to make sure the door is closed, seeing that it is she continues pacing while looking at the floor, her face clearly worried. "Khenal, I don't know if you've heard, but General Dostob is coming here. Do you know what that means?"

Khenal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9859 on: April 12, 2012, 11:31:14 pm »

My ears lay back and I can't help but growl.

"Hugwax..."

KingStrongbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • By Celestia's Beard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9860 on: April 12, 2012, 11:37:23 pm »

"Yes, Hugwax." Charity stops pacing and walks toward Khenal. "Khenal, she's been sending me letters for years here. She's the reason we've been hanging our flanks out in the open working on the road system, she's the reason we've been clear cutting the jungle, she's been ordering us to do these things, and we are way, way, /way/ behind schedule, and she's coming here to check on our progress." She get's very close to Khenal now, "Khenal, she's, she's already tried to kill me once. What if she blames me for this?"

Khenal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9861 on: April 12, 2012, 11:43:39 pm »

My eyes harden as Charity speaks, my gaze drifting to the distance as I can almost hear Hugwax laughing...  I shake my head as Charity gets closer, trying to focus on here and now.

"Then I and the rest of your guard will treat her like any other filth that walks in from the jungle, thinking they can disrupt the peace or harm you and your family."

KingStrongbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • By Celestia's Beard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9862 on: April 12, 2012, 11:49:44 pm »

Charity smiles. "Thank you Khenal," she says, as her smile then fades as quickly as it appeared. "I, I'm sorry to have to ask this of you. I already trust you more than anyone in Glitterglen save for my husband, but...I need you to swear that. Please, just swear to me that you will take my orders above her's, above anypony's, no matter what. Please. Osal, Madush, and Traphe have already sworn similar oaths, it's just you, that I need to hear it from."

Khenal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9863 on: April 12, 2012, 11:57:11 pm »

I carefully consider her question and my answer, for this is not an oath to take lightly.  After several moments, I slowly shake my head.

"Above all, Charity?  No.  My wife, my foals, my personal beliefs, I will not swear any oath to place anypony above them."

I lower my head, to be on even level with Charity as I look into her eyes.

"But above Hugwax?"

I smile. 

"Absolutely."
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 12:04:15 am by Khenal »

KingStrongbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • By Celestia's Beard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9864 on: April 13, 2012, 12:05:20 am »

Charity nods to Khenal. "I understand, your family, your family must come first. Then above her, above the Princess, above the General, above Hugwax and Dostob. Please swear that to me. Please swear that you will not place their orders above mine. Only then can I rest well. Can you do that my friend."

Khenal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9865 on: April 13, 2012, 12:09:58 am »

I draw my spear and levitate it horizontally before me as I kneel, bowing as I swear.

"I swear to you, Lady Charity, that I will follow you above Hugwax and her General."

KingStrongbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • By Celestia's Beard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9866 on: April 13, 2012, 12:14:46 am »

Charity smiles as Khenal swears his oath to her. "Yes, very good Khenal. Now, I have something else to tell you. We have two new pegasi recruits for the guard. They've not killed so much as a parasprite in this lifetime, but they are eager and I sense they have potential."

Charity walks over toward the door and opens it a crack. "Madush, dear, please go and fetch the new recruits."

"Yes, ma'am."

Charity closes the door and walks back to Khenal, "They are just down the hall, should only take a minute."

Khenal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9867 on: April 13, 2012, 12:19:46 am »

I sheath my spear and stand, looking slightly confused.

"No experience?  Well, maybe training green recruits could be nice.  I haven't had a chance to since... wow, since I became Captain of the Fortress Guard?  Has it really been that long?"
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 11:37:49 am by Khenal »

Impending Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • has gone stark raving mad!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9868 on: April 13, 2012, 12:25:57 am »

"Ma'am? The recruits yo urequested."

Madush returns, and two ponies enter after him.

Two very familiar ponies.

Starkey and Otik sit upright, saluting in unison.

"Captain!"
Quote from: Robert A.Heinlein
Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion, that violence has never solved anything, is wishful thinking at its worst.

Khenal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9869 on: April 13, 2012, 12:32:26 am »

I chuckle a moment at the obvious joke, before I realize they are both already in uniform.  My pupils shrink as my jaw drops to hang loose, only a tiny squeak escaping my vocal chords as I stare at my two 'green recruits'.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 01:01:10 am by Khenal »

Pages: 1 ... 656 657 [658] 659 660 ... 665