Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Soliciting suggestions for a Goblin Pinball machine  (Read 1536 times)

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
Soliciting suggestions for a Goblin Pinball machine
« on: September 14, 2011, 07:22:07 pm »

I'm planning to build a Goblin Pinball Machine.

You drop a Goblin in the slot, pull the "Start" lever, and he is deposited into a large room filled with tiers of raising drawbridges, which are controlled by fluid-logic repeaters and set to flip the Goblin around the room.

Eventually, he will either be crushed under a drawbridge on the bottom tier, or killed by an impact, or he will drop into one of several holes in the floor. You score points depending on the length of time that the Goblin is in-play, and on which hole he drops into.

One possible enhancement is to have an automatic fluid-logic counter to keep track of the score, and a series of BCD-to-Seven-Segment converters to display your score, using magma channels as seven-segment LEDs... although that would take quite a lot of design work.

Does the forum at large have any suggestions for the project?
Never pet a burning dog.

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
Re: Soliciting suggestions for a Goblin Pinball machine
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2011, 08:57:42 pm »

SOme one needs to build this stat.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

SuicideJunkie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2011, 09:05:59 pm »

Add some wooden traps to act as bumpers; if the goblin hits them, he'll dodge many tiles in a random direction really fast.
Also, you could have some pressure plate drop targets; land the goblin on one, and it drains a tank of fluid to boost your score.  Hook up multiple targets with logic gates for a full-set bonus.

Have a pet chained at the bottom, to provide some gravity and draw the goblin towards your flippers.
If you flip the gobbo into a ramp/tunnel, you could have pressure plates in the tunnel open and close pet doors in sequence to make the goblin follow the path.

Load the game with a stack of spare goblins (three normal gobs, plus a few bonus ones) rather than just one.  If you flip the goblin into a special trap, it can hold it while releasing a bonus goblin.  If you hit a full set of targets with the bonus goblin?  Unlock the original for MULTIGOB!

Geen

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm gonna live forever, or die trying.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2011, 11:03:31 pm »

YES. I approve, only instead of gobbos, elves.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2011, 11:31:05 pm »

Both at the same time, for maximum entertainment.

There will be magma, I trust?
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2011, 11:50:54 pm »

Unfortunately, it's for an on-going Forum game (on the Paradox forum) and the Elves are already extinct in this world.

... so far in the game, we've already built a Stellerator 1000-Kitten-power Hydrodynamic Power Plant, a Pressurized Magma Volcanic Eruption Inducer (fairly successful, the plume of erupting Magma goes eight levels straight up), a fluid-logic-controlled Corridor of Spikey Death, and an EWACS (Early Warning Animal Controlled Surveillance) system.

Now it's Goblin Pinball.
Never pet a burning dog.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2011, 06:23:40 am »

Use pressure plates with upright spike traps for the bouncers, they should dodge right off it.

Also, I'd like to suggest a Goblin Pachinko Machine with flowing water used to keep the "ball" in play on it's way down to your merry band of crazy Paradox goons.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 06:25:37 am by ThatAussieGuy »

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2011, 07:19:48 am »

Holy sweet Armok.
Rather than using a chained pet for gravity you could use a passage to the outside world, several in fact in different places so depending on where the gob goes he'll be drawn to different ones, pressure plates could be used to raise the score and you gotta put some of those pop up bumpers somewhere, what about ramps? would your bridge flippers work to push the 'ball' up a hill??
Science is needed.  .... oh and a bouncey castle would be nice. I can't find the thread but it should be easy to work out what kind of bridge is needed to maked one that won't crush the occupents....
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
  • Edelgard did nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2011, 02:10:38 pm »

Load the game with a stack of spare goblins (three normal gobs, plus a few bonus ones) rather than just one.  If you flip the goblin into a special trap, it can hold it while releasing a bonus goblin.  If you hit a full set of targets with the bonus goblin?  Unlock the original for MULTIGOB!

It must be done. IT MUST.