Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Affecting specific issues in LCS  (Read 2311 times)

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Affecting specific issues in LCS
« on: September 10, 2011, 11:40:31 am »

So I'm currently in the middle of my first game of LCS with any small amount of "success".  We have L+ president, L congress (and getting more liberal with each election), and the issues have moved to L on average.

However there are a few specific issues where public opinion is lagging behind (in this particular case: gay rights, death penalty, taxes, free speech, corporate malfeasance, marijuana, military spending, cable news)  Some of these are L and others are as far down as C.

I looked on the wiki for a guide about this, but I couldn't find one.  Is there some sort of guide or table that lists the best way to change public opinion about the various issues?  Failing that, could someone help me out on these specific issues?  I'm trying to be non-violent in this game too, if that changes anything.  Thanks.

Aerogen

• Bay Watcher
  • estou estupefato
    • View Profile
Re: Affecting specific issues in LCS
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2011, 07:34:20 am »

You can invade the tv/radio station and have a frank talk about any specific topic, although you can't choose which topic you are going to talk about.
Also, you can publish secret files on your newspaper.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2011, 07:41:10 am »

Best way to influence most, if not all, of the issues is to kill a conservative in each conservative building.  Killing a police officer in the police station, a lawyer in the court room, some guards in the prison, scientists in the nuclear power plant, killing one guy from each of those will dramatically raise attention to the certain issue. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

klingon13524

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mongols are cool!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2011, 11:12:41 am »

Think logically how you would bring attention to an issue. Death penalty? Shoot up the prison and courthouse. Drug laws? The crackhouse.
By creating a gobstopper that never loses its flavor he broke thermodynamics
Maybe it's parasitic. It never loses its flavor because you eventually die from having your nutrients stolen by it.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2011, 12:03:25 pm »

No, that's not where you affect the drug laws, there are no news stories that are even reported at the Crackhouse.
Here's an easy list that will tell you what buildings to attack if you want to sway a specific issue.

Women's Rights/Abortion Rights - Cosmetic Laboratory, Court House, Corporate Headquarters, AM Radio, Cable News, Gentleman's Club
Animal Research - Cosmetic Laboratory, Genetics Laboratory
Police Behavior - Police Station
Drug Rights - Police Station, Government Prison
Death Penalty - Court House, Government Prison
Free Speech/Flag Burning - Court House, AM Radio, Cable News
Gay Rights - Court House, AM Radio, Cable News
Civil Rights - Court House, AM Radio, Cable News
Torture - Government Prison, Army Base, Intelligence HQ
Privacy - Intelligence HQ
Labor Rights - Sweatshop, Factories
Immigration - Sweatshop
Pollution - Factories
Nuclear Power - Nuclear Power Plant
Taxes - CEO House, Upscale Apartment, Gentleman's Club
Corporate Regulations - CEO House, Upscale Apartment, Gentleman's Club
AM Radio - AM Radio
Cable news - Cable News
Gun Control - Upscale Apartment
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2011, 12:03:45 pm »

I ended up winning without killing everyone.  The death penalty issue was taken care of - I just kept sending a high disguise, high persuasion character to take over the airwaves until it randomly hit the death penalty.  I never did boost free speech in the opinion polls - would that be AM radio/Cable news?  That wouldn't really make sense to me. 

But I really was asking if there's a way to do it without killing people.  I guess the answer is no in general.

Edit: OK, so looking at the above table makes me wonder.  What does "attack" mean?  For instance, does just entering a factory and destroying equipment count as attacking?
« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 12:05:41 pm by Christes »

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2011, 12:09:00 pm »

Edit: OK, so looking at the above table makes me wonder.  What does "attack" mean?  For instance, does just entering a factory and destroying equipment count as attacking?
Yes. You probably have to make the news for your terrorist attack to have an impact, so that may require destroying a lot of equipment.

But I really was asking if there's a way to do it without killing people.  I guess the answer is no in general.
Oh. That was it? You can win the game without killing people; you just have to write for the Liberal Guardian and/or have loads of sleepers to affect each issue. Usually, most sleepers tend to have an impact...even janitors can help make the LCS more popular, and if the LCS is more popular, then the people will start taking up LCS issues.

I am not going to create another table though to demonstrate the effects of the Liberal Guardian/Sleepers because it was time consuming for me to make this original table.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 12:12:11 pm by Servant Corps »
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2011, 12:35:29 pm »

Like I said, I just won the game without killing anyone.  I had an elite bunch of writers at the liberal guardian.  I was just having trouble affecting specific issues.  But sleepers are a good suggestion.  I didn't mess around with them too much.  I mostly just got sleeper lawyers to defend.

klingon13524

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mongols are cool!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2011, 02:12:34 pm »

Like I said, I just won the game without killing anyone.  I had an elite bunch of writers at the liberal guardian.  I was just having trouble affecting specific issues.  But sleepers are a good suggestion.  I didn't mess around with them too much.  I mostly just got sleeper lawyers to defend.
Sleeper judjes work wonders too. Try to have a sleeper at the police station as well, it warns you of any impending police raids.
Maybe it's parasitic. It never loses its flavor because you eventually die from having your nutrients stolen by it.

Rafal99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2011, 02:15:33 pm »

If you dont want to kill evil conservatives, you may also try to steal the secret documents that can be found on sites, then publish them in the Liberal Guardian. The documents can be found for example in Cable News (named "Cable News Memos"), Police Station, Army Base, CEO Castle, Corporate Headquarters and others.
Then once you have them, after a few turns you may be asked if you want to make a special edition of Liberal Guardian with published documents.
The spinning Tantrum Spiral strikes The Fortress in the meeting hall!
It explodes in gore!
The Fortress has been struck down.

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2011, 04:32:09 pm »

Yeah, I had lots of hackers getting publishable info.  None of them seemed to affect the free speech public opinion, though.

klingon13524

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mongols are cool!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2011, 02:40:18 am »

Yeah, I had lots of hackers getting publishable info.  None of them seemed to affect the free speech public opinion, though.
Don't worry. The supreme court is always pro free speech. Liberal or Conservative, they love free speech.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2011, 12:07:34 pm »

Don't worry. The supreme court is always pro free speech. Liberal or Conservative, they love free speech.
Liberal: FREE SPEECH! WE WANT TO BE ALLOWED TO HATE AMERICA!

Conservative: FREE SPEECH! WE WANT TO BE ALLOWED TO HATE [Insert generic minority that raises problems]S!

Aerogen

• Bay Watcher
  • estou estupefato
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2011, 10:02:37 pm »

Liberal: FREE SPEECH! WE WANT TO BE ALLOWED TO HATE AMERICA!
Actually, we only want to hate North America. :P

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2011, 04:35:04 am »

But that would include Canada, which is where all US Liberals threaten to move every time something they don't like happens. The United States of America is usually big enough to take the hate alone.