Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Danger rooms are for filthy Elves  (Read 2637 times)

Zanielyene

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Danger rooms are for filthy Elves
« on: September 14, 2011, 05:12:06 pm »

What's your opinion on danger rooms?

Hitty40

• Bay Watcher
  • Poker face, motherfucker.
    • View Profile
Re: Danger rooms are for filthy Elves
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2011, 05:21:34 pm »

What's your opinion on danger rooms?

Seen some people use them, I don't like them at all. Unless it's cotton candy spear traps, of course. Hardcore all the way.
Ho Ho Ho! I'm going to be sticking economic stone so far up your stockings, you'll be coughing up gemstone windows!
You see, when the devil comes on to your forums and begins dropping F bombs and shouts 'GIVE ALL YOUR WOMEN!', he's in a happy mood.
if there's lots of g's and z's, it's gobbo. If you don't really recognize it, it's human. if it's called Urist, it's dwarf.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2011, 06:38:04 pm »

I'll only use then when toady implements mvoing objects,so my dwarfs will dogde from spinning *adamantine spiked balls* lauched from the walls.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2011, 06:41:08 pm »

I don't use them if your going to cheat then just use runesmith, every other cheese or potash maker is given a wooden spear some chain mail and the cloths on their backs, when the fortress evolves, every  first born son or daughter is conscripted.
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?

TurnpikeLad

• Bay Watcher
  • maybe this time
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2011, 07:06:17 pm »

I tried them once and was horrified with how fast my dwarves ended up skilling up.  The problem is I can't get them to train fast enough normally, so my military (1/3 of my population fully outfitted and training all the time) gets massacred in the second siege.  It's either danger rooms, or wall off my fortress entirely, or inevitably get ousted by the increasingly frequent and massive goblin invasions, or use long hallways of cage traps or 5x weapon traps (which seems to me to be just as broken.)
Adon * Amil * Orethan

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2011, 07:07:50 pm »

I train spare legendary miners than give them masterwork steel picks instead. (Which isn't as cheap because it takes time and they still need the other combat skills).
Soaplent green is goblins!

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2011, 08:30:03 pm »

I abuse this as I abuse every other exploit in this game.

o_O[WTFace]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2011, 10:45:34 pm »

I dont use them anymore but given how "lolwut" the standard training usually is I fully understand why people do.
...likes Dwarf Fortresses for their terrifying features...

Mechatronic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2011, 11:47:41 pm »

I've never bothered. Dwarves already have advantages in:

- better metals, whether steel or adamantine
- being able to armour their legs, feet, arms and hands
- fortress design: bridges, doors, hatches, walls and fortifications
- traps
- siege engines. Ok, this one is marginal.
- and training the usual way. Even an Adequate Axedwarf is better than most goblins.

You don't need all these advantages. Proper use of two or three of them is enough to survive even with the Fortress Defense mod.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2011, 11:56:45 pm »

I would use live training exercises (aka dropping unarmed goblins into an arena with the newbies and watching the excitement) but I can't catch enough targets. So I use danger rooms. I think they're sorta kinda realistic because blocking and dodging spears is training, right? For those that say that the spears will just come up out of the same spot every time, thus removing the dodging part, keep in mind that the best effect comes from 10 spears in 1 tile. So I just say that the spears come up in a random sequence, making the "training" less predictable.

But it's a single-player game, so you can basically do whatever you like. If you like them, then use them. If not, then just don't.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2011, 01:54:31 am »

Really people think that training is hard or that dwarves don't develop their skills fast enough?

I must be playing the wrong game. I think they develop skills too fast with training and that it is easy because they don't ever hurt themselves
 anymore.

Valdrax

• Bay Watcher
  • HUGE ELF (bluh bluh)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2011, 11:47:06 am »

They may be easy, but it's very dwarfy to make a mechanism that pokes everyone with sticks, killing any babies or pets that cross its path.
The history of a good fortress is not written in blood, it's painted on the walls by the hand of a melancholy orphan.

Horizonblue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2011, 12:12:48 pm »

>Can't actually figure out how to set up danger room.
>Has over 300 dwarves.

"Wrestling Militia it is!"
When in doubt:  More Lever!

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2011, 12:23:16 pm »

Military training is so QUICK that danger rooms aren't needed at all IMHO. For each of my military Dwarves it takes max 4 years to get to level 12 in a weapon skill, though most of them do it in 3 to 3½. Legendaries in 6 years. I mean, a Dwarf lives what, 150+ years, he uses 3,5 to 4% of his lifetime and becomes legendary, unbeatable killing machine?  ::)

Couchmonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2011, 12:29:50 pm »

I use danger rooms cause they are dwarfy and I like to try mechanism stuff!
It is really hard to set one up, so why not use it, when you can do it.

For more fun you can try changing training spears to normal wooden spears and then copper and so on ;)

"Advanced Danger Room" for the Elite of your soldiers.... because wood gets boring!
Pages: [1] 2