Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Danger rooms are for filthy Elves  (Read 2636 times)

kerlc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Danger rooms are for filthy Elves
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2011, 12:40:01 pm »

i usually trap the first 1-2 sieges, and live train 5 dorfs vs 5 goblins (fully equipped, cause i do not know how to disarm them, unfortunately  :-\ )

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2011, 01:03:49 pm »

You know...
Is is possible to make a danger room for filthy elves? Like trapping one of the traders in a small room, training them to legendary, and releasing the (now insane) legendary elf on future caravans?
Soaplent green is goblins!

fluffhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2011, 01:11:51 pm »

Military training is so QUICK that danger rooms aren't needed at all IMHO. For each of my military Dwarves it takes max 4 years to get to level 12 in a weapon skill, though most of them do it in 3 to 3½. Legendaries in 6 years. I mean, a Dwarf lives what, 150+ years, he uses 3,5 to 4% of his lifetime and becomes legendary, unbeatable killing machine?  ::)

that's all fine and dandy, but when you have a slow computer, the years take days to make it through. :/

Matheld

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2011, 02:50:27 pm »

I would never. I think for someone to become an expert warrior they should be hardened by the slow arduous fires of war.

Tharwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2011, 03:58:55 pm »

Military training is so QUICK that danger rooms aren't needed at all IMHO. For each of my military Dwarves it takes max 4 years to get to level 12 in a weapon skill, though most of them do it in 3 to 3½. Legendaries in 6 years. I mean, a Dwarf lives what, 150+ years, he uses 3,5 to 4% of his lifetime and becomes legendary, unbeatable killing machine?  ::)

The first sieges and beasts come well before you've had time for that though.
[Signature]

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2011, 12:57:30 am »

The first sieges and beasts come well before you've had time for that though.

Titans are sissies and usually Goblin siege arrives around year 3. If I think I cant make it, head-on or piecemeal, I'll wait it out. Lucky greenskins.  ;)Typically I lose a few Dwarves to ambushes before the army is big and well equipped enough but thats pretty much expected in one untrained Dwarf vs. many Goblins fights at least IMHO. Suffering no casualties at all just because the player is lazy makes a boring game...

Caldfir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2011, 02:43:39 pm »

If you know about how to select dwarves for military duty and such, danger rooms aren't needed.  I wouldn't argue that they are an "exploit" really, because even if you do it the "honest" way, dwarves skill up to legendary much too fast. 

What would really help would be if dwarves stopped gaining military skills from training at some point, so that to obtain legendary fighters you would need to expose them to lethal combat scenarios.  Something to this effect is probably on Toady's immense "would like to do at some point" list. 
where is up?

trees

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUNDANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2011, 03:18:09 pm »

I'd like to see the same sort of thing, Caldfir. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense for them to become "legendary" without any actual bloodshed and glory.
I am often bad at phrasing things - don't hesitate to ask for clarification if something I said doesn't make sense.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2011, 06:02:20 pm »

You know...
Is is possible to make a danger room for filthy elves? Like trapping one of the traders in a small room, training them to legendary, and releasing the (now insane) legendary elf on future caravans?
Dwarf Fortress: Where we weaponize our Enemies.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.
Pages: 1 [2]