Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Road Value  (Read 1975 times)

Clutzy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Road Value
« on: September 16, 2011, 12:45:30 pm »

I'm on my way to making my duchy a capital and the only thing missing is the road value. I tried a few basic stones I had in largely quality (jet, mudstone, orthoclause, quartzite) with no results. Is it only gold or silver that will count, or are there other stones that will make road value?

KtosoX

• Bay Watcher
  • Playing DF since 18.08.2010
    • View Profile
Re: Road Value
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2011, 12:50:19 pm »

Any road will increase road value. Blocks are worth more than regular stone, so you might want to build out of those. Anyway, since you are going with low value materials, go for quantity. Or if you are in a rush, build a small road out of something expensive.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 12:52:09 pm by KtosoX »
Build a grid of floor grates above the entire city. Draft a squadron of masons and bomb the crap out of the city with falling constructed walls.
The Geneva Convention would like to have a word with you.
Quote from: Aleksanderus
I have clicked "d" in a forge and look what it did!

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2011, 01:39:48 pm »

And since one stone/block/bar can pave up to three squares you can cover a lot of ground with roads building up that value.

I ended up using marble or kaolinite, marble block, and eventually also paved some squares in the royal quarters with gold bars.  Roads from tunnel exits to the map edge for caravans to use, and paving surface or soil area that I wanted to stop the plants from growing on were first.  Then I paved the edge of my pond and some trails in my "park" area, and finally paved the bottom of my defensive ditch for the heck of it.

I was also doing checkerboard patterns in places with lead and zinc bars, but the contrast is not high enough between them to really be "showy" and the value was not that high compared to using stone. 
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

moki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2011, 01:41:31 pm »

Building the road of small 1x1 pieces helps. Usually roads take 1 block/stone for several tiles, but as you want to cram as much value into as little space as possible, building small roads is more useful. I usually just pave the whole fortress with roads from metal bars, if I don't need them for something else. Once the king and his entourage have arrived, you can just bulldoze all the crap that you built for him.
But my good sir, the second death was for Dwarven Science!

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2011, 04:42:29 pm »

I prefer to use native gold blocks.

Incidentally, I always try to exceed what's needed. The value of my road for one of my forts was higher than the minimum export value.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2011, 05:12:08 pm »

Bars and blocks have the same value, do note.  Native gold costs 30, smelted gold costs 30, boulders cost 3, and bars and blocks cost 5.  Ergo: Native Gold Boulder = 90, Native Gold Block = 150, Gold Bar = 150, Gold Block = 150.  Of course it depends on if you want that "rich and earthy" native gold or "sleek and shiny" smelted gold.

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2011, 06:00:47 pm »

The dwarf(ves) making them is also important; a dwarf with levels in Building Designer is going to design finer roads and a quality Mason/Carpenter/Metalsmith is going to construct better roads than a Novice or Dabbling dwarf.

It's entirely possible to get extremely high quality roads with cheap materials if at least one of the dwarves involved is Legendary in one of those skills. If they both are amateurs or one dwarf is designing and building, though, it's better to use more expensive materials.

So if it's taking too long, train up an Architect or turn off Masonry on all but your most skilled dwarves.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2011, 06:24:33 pm »

Ah, I keep forgetting that.  Roads can have an quality value, and a masterpiece road is with 12x as much.  So that 1x1 plot of native gold block road can give you 1,800 value.  Even a block of microcline can give as much as 60 value.  Consider this when you can't manage to make a noble's room valuable enough.  Training up an architect can give everything value.

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2011, 06:40:52 pm »

Supports are a really good way to crank up the value of a noble's room, especially in those situations where the noble likes Bismuth or Pig Iron and, barring a lucky artifact, it is hard to produce furniture that they really like. Seeing a Support made out of their favorite material tends to perk them up quite a bit. I had one dwarf who was constantly miserable to the point of tantrumming, I built a Bismuth support in his room, and that bumped his mood back up to content.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2011, 08:28:47 pm »

Ah, I keep forgetting that.  Roads can have an quality value, and a masterpiece road is with 12x as much.
A masterfully designed and masterfully constructed road will have 24x the value of its components. Actually accomplishing this is rather difficult, though, since constructing a road (post-design) has no labor requirement, unlike all other buildings requiring architecture.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2011, 09:44:41 pm »

Ah, I keep forgetting that.  Roads can have an quality value, and a masterpiece road is with 12x as much.  So that 1x1 plot of native gold block road can give you 1,800 value.  Even a block of microcline can give as much as 60 value.  Consider this when you can't manage to make a noble's room valuable enough.  Training up an architect can give everything value.

That explains a lot of my dwarves getting a happy thought from a fine paved road.  Must be a stretch that a lot of them see somewhere that worked out to high value.
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2011, 09:58:30 pm »

Will the trolls smash up my roads?   I've never bothered building any.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.