Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Smallest Self Sustaining Single Dwarf Fort?  (Read 7397 times)

Vicid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Smallest Self Sustaining Single Dwarf Fort?
« on: September 16, 2011, 02:06:34 pm »

I was thinking about medical subjects/super dwarves trained in isolation today.  These dwarfs must be isolated so that if/when they die no one cares.  At first I figured the best solution would be to lock them in a room and drop food on them from above.

Would it be simpler (less player involvement) to simply isolate these dwarfs in their own mini forts and give them all jobs?  How much farm land would one dwarf require to eat/drink?  Each one would need a brewery at a minimum and some storage space... but all the barrels could be recycled.

Has anyone ever made a self sustaining single fort for one dwarf?  How would one make it as small as possible?  Building furniture would not be necessary - just the ability to keep the mini fort going long enough to keep the dwarf alive while he waits to be exposed to FB dust/gas/spiked/burned/thrown in an arena/dropped/shot at with balista/exposed to cave in dust/put in a danger room/flung off a bridge/sent to tap magma/!!science!!/and or only let out to fight gobbos
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 02:13:02 pm by Vicid »

moki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Smallest Self Sustaining Single Dwarf Fort?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2011, 02:45:59 pm »

A 1 tile farm plot set for plump helmets, 1 tile food stockpile with a barrel, 1 tile seed stockpile, a well and a bed... should be enough to keep a dwarf alive. Providing alcohol makes things much more complicated and needs micromanagement for each micro fort. For added security against madness, add a table and chair and engrave the walls. That should keep the inhabitant happy.
I still think, just dropping them some food and booze is a lot easier.
But my good sir, the second death was for Dwarven Science!

flieroflight

• Bay Watcher
  • Worship the nightmare
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2011, 02:48:00 pm »

i would estimate around 6x6x2 area, containing furniture, plot, room for workshop for making stuff, food stockpile, and quantum stockpile of all the materials they need. this should keep them in good happiness and lets them be productive at the same time
Bay12 doesn't have moral event horizons, it has goals.

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
  • Ph.Dwarf & Practitioner of ‼MEDICINE‼
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2011, 02:54:04 pm »

...keep the dwarf alive while he waits to be exposed to FB dust/gas/spiked/burned/thrown in an arena/dropped/shot at with balista/exposed to cave in dust/put in a danger room/flung off a bridge/sent to tap magma/!!science!!/and or only let out to fight gobbos.

I'm making this my signature. 
Specialsurprise - a Tale of ‼Medicine‼ and ‼Science‼ !

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2011, 03:13:21 pm »

For -completely- enclosed situations, you'd need a 1x1 farm plot and a still.  A 4x3 section can be done for this, with the extra two tiles for seeds and food, assuming you have some bags and several barrels.  You could even alternate plump helmets and sweet pods for booze diversity.

Of course, I'd probably want more of a 3x9 or something, potentially with doors and walls.  I'd likely end up with a 6x6 or a 7x7 with walls+doors in the center.  With that, you could have 3x3 for a still, another 3x3 for a lavish bedroom, another 3x3 for a lavish dining hall and food stockpiles, and the final for a small farm plot plus a barracks.

To be done perfectly, assign the bedroom to the dwarf as soon as he's born, so that he'll go sleep in it and you can lock the door.

INSANEcyborg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2011, 04:29:03 pm »

Use a 2x1 space, a farm plot for food and a well.  You can make a waterfall over the well to keep it full and the dwarf happy.   Or not, then you can use it as way to screen out the weak-minded dwarfs who go insane. 

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2011, 05:08:20 pm »

Well, if a waterfall/well is counted as "outside" then it's not truly enclosed.  A cistern is outside of the living area, after all.  For a "space pod" style of "nothing but myself" then you'll need a still.

vyznev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2011, 05:56:13 pm »

I suspect that 3 tiles are enough: a well, a farm plot and a plant/seed stockpile with a barrel.  The stockpile is important, otherwise the dwarf won't harvest plants unless he's hungry, which can lead to all the crops wilting away.  For maximum safety, make sure the water supply for the well goes through a fortification (or comes from an aquifer).  That's almost as isolated as using a still, and requires less micromanagement.  I'd also suggest at least two z-levels of water under the well -- I've heard that this avoids unhappy thoughts about muddy water.

I was going to test this by walling my starting seven dwarves in a 3x1 chamber each, but I screwed up the setup and I'm too tired to try it again tonight.  Maybe later.

Edit: I wonder if a fancy enough well would be enough to balance the unhappy thoughts from having to eat vermin.  If so, the minimum size might be just one tile.  !!Science!! is needed.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 06:02:20 pm by vyznev »
Climbing is a strength-based skill. Elephants are very strong. Why are you surprised?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2011, 07:20:04 pm »

Smallest possible? One soil/mud tile, one open space tile over safe water source. Needed supplies: One rope, one block, one bucket, one plump helmet seed. Turn on the planter and architect labors, and one other varying by block type. Build a well and a farm plot. Have the farm plot grow plump helmets. Maybe have another tile for a food stockpile. Maybe include a few more plump helmets.
One yarn/cave spider silk rope for $*30, one stone block for $5, one wood bucket for $10, one plump helmet seed for $1, and let's say two prepared lungfish for $4, for a total of $50 plus 3 tiles** of space, one dwarf, and a bit of waterworking. Simple!
*$ used because I don't know how to make that dwarfbuck symbol.
**Okay, three plus at least 12 squares of walls, ideally dug-out soil. I'm assuming the best design is:

HHH
HH,H
HO,H
HHHH
(H is a wall, , is a floor, and O is the well)

Ideally, the design would drop the dwarf in from above, mainly for DWARFY-points. Might (is) not the best idea, but meh.

-----

Long-Explanation Man, Away!
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2011, 08:44:54 pm »

If you're using a well, there's always at least the CHANCE that the water supply will get cut off somehow, e.g. from magma or cave-in accidents cutting the well off from any infinite source, leading to the water eventually dwindling to nothing and hel-lo thirst death. So in that sense it's not completely sealed off.
If you allow wells, I suppose you could do it with a 1x1 farm plot with a well next to it. I don't know if a dabbling grower will be able to plant enough plump helmets, though.
If not, you'll need a still, but I don't know how many tiles you'd need to support food and booze - not much more, since 1 plant goes into 5 drinks. Whatever.
Lately, I'm proud of MAGMA LANDMINES:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91789.0
And been a bit smug over generating a world with an elephant monster that got 87763 sentient kills.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=104354.0

Kofthefens

• Bay Watcher
  • Keep calm and OH GOD CAPYBARAS
    • View Profile
    • Marshland Games
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2011, 09:15:33 pm »

I once made a mini fort for two dwarves(male and female). It wasn't too small though; every room was massive and engraved (by the bunker dwarves), and had all kinds of workshops, farms, and stockpiles. They also had a pick. I devoted their time to a vast host of useless projects, until eventually I got bored.
I don't care about your indigestion-- How are you is a greeting, not a question.

The epic of Îton Sákrith
The Chronicles of HammerBlaze
My website - Free games