Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How do disable water flow animation?  (Read 1084 times)

Zengineer

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
How do disable water flow animation?
« on: September 16, 2011, 12:31:01 am »

Hello all,

First post. Forgive me if this is in the wrong place.

I recently had my FPS drop considerably. After doing some research one of the suggestions I've found is not animating water/magma. However none of these threads, not even the wiki, mentions how to do it. So what do I have to do? Any other FPS increasing suggestions would be good too.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
Re: How do disable water flow animation?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2011, 01:26:51 am »

Are water and magma shown as numbers indicating the depth? If so:
Change [SHOW_FLOW_AMOUNTS:YES] to [SHOW_FLOW_AMOUNTS:NO]
in data/init/d_init.ini in your DF folder.

Though displaying the flow amounts doesn't seem like it would eat up FPS, it's usually the calculations themselves that do that.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How do disable water flow animation?
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2011, 04:34:13 am »

Regarding the water thing, I think what you mean, Zengineer, is not stopping the animation (which AFAIK has little to no impact on FPS) but stopping water movement altogether.

So, the way I understand it, water in rivers and brooks flows from source to exit on the embark site, but, in their un-channeled state the water doesn't actually move tiles (its an abstracted river flow, perhaps?).  But once you breach the river the game has to start calculating where the water goes based on its fluid pressure mechanics.  This is what eats up FPS.  To save FPS then, don't cut into rivers (but what's the point, eh?) or try to stop falling/flowing water as much as possible.

Check out the wiki:
Water Flow

Useful thread:
Hydrodynamics Education

But there are lots of other ways to improve FPS (and potentially bigger problems), so check out the wiki...
Wiki FPS help page
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...