Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Just smoothing?  (Read 500 times)

joostheger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Just smoothing?
« on: September 18, 2023, 01:39:41 pm »

Short question: Were there ever community projects for just smoothing DF up? Polishing the RAW edges, tying loose ends, fill in the gaps?
As we all know, there's a lot of DF that is a bit 'rough' so I though why couldnt we - as a group - help a bit out, just by smoothing up. But if Tarn and Zach are 'not interested in our wishes', it has no point.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2023, 01:52:52 am by joostheger »

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Just smoothing?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2023, 08:47:14 am »

Short question: Were there ever community projects for just smoothing DF up? Polishing the RAW edges, tying loose ends, fill in the gaps?
As we all know, there's a lot of DF that is a bit 'rough' so I though why couldnt we - as a group - help a bit out, just by smoothing up. But if Tarn and Zach are 'not interested in our wishes', it has no point.

Most of the additions, like to the complex variety of animals were actually added as contributor donation requests when the game was still in a donator patron state. Its a little unfair to say Toady and Tarn are uninterested, since its a open sandbox and you can have as much or as little content as you want, optimizing it is the goal of future arcs by doing much more to re-assess how the world runs, to facilitate personal player experiences.

But you can find linearising mods like 'Modest Mod' that really strip back the complexity of materials (all wood, simply called 'wood')
Community Mods and utilities link - not updated for steam yet

Modest mod - Not updated for steam yet

On anything else you can actually 'fix' in the raws (i know a few tricks and shortcuts to getting the game running nicely personally), there's a bug-tracker. A well mentioned instance when modders helped out toady by contributing to it, was during a transitional period on 40. when the first raids for livestock were doable. People reported that beakdogs and unicorns could be taken but not tamed from respective goblin and elf sites, and they listened and fixed it in the next version by adding a [PET] token.

joostheger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Just smoothing?
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2023, 01:03:06 pm »

Its a little unfair to say Toady and Tarn are uninterested
You're right. I do apologize. I meant it as a cat-joke, but it is not really fair to say..

The absence of PET-tokens is one of the things I meant.
The goal indeed of such a project would be to 'fix' the raws. But instead of creating another mod, do it directly in the vanilla-files.
Then, when everything is done, present the smoothed-up raws to Tarn and Zach, so that they might consider using them to replace the current.

If this project is supported and executed by a large portion of the modding community, it might have a reasonable change of succes.