Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Vegan fortress?  (Read 5896 times)

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Vegan fortress?
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2011, 04:46:12 pm »

No, I'm referring to regular old violent mushrooms.  You know, it's just a loud food...

Spoiler: Like This? (click to show/hide)
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2011, 05:28:03 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO_RAGE:9001][TOO_HAIRY][ADAMANTINE BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2011, 06:00:14 pm »

Meat goes through the roof for me if i embark with a nice big stock of cheap birds (chickens are like, 8 points). Stick them in nest boxes and either harvest their eggs or produce a legion of butcherable/egg laying poultry. Or better yet eat most of the males. Once you have so many female of any easily keepable animal you can become totally sealed off from the outside world (Plus farms). Also building pools out of your aquefier (channeling out the very topmost layer so it doesnt flood) will make you plenty of fishing prowess. Or hell, cavern fishing. Anywho thats how i avoid silly elven notions of veganism
Son of Slaanesh, full of desire, He does cocaine and his head's on fire! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOM Rider! Doom rider! Na na, na na!

Vi Et Armis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2011, 06:13:47 pm »

And no, a vegetarian diet is perfectly fine for dwarves. Heck, in theory you could have dwarves that subsist off of horse eyeballs and water, and nothing else, for their entire lives!

Well, you can also have a dwarf that subsists entirely on nothing at all for their entire life, it just won't last very long...

Sir E Brum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2011, 08:25:48 pm »

silly elven notions of veganism
elven veganism
Elves are known to be cannibals.
soniamdissapoint.jpg

Salmonpunch

• Bay Watcher
  • Fishing poles are for the weak.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2011, 05:36:27 pm »

silly elven notions of veganism
elven veganism
Elves are known to be cannibals.
soniamdissapoint.jpg

Elves aren't cannibals if they eat the corpses of Dwarves and Humans, that's just called being f--ked up. Its only Cannibalism if its a member of their own race being devoured.
This is Gabe Newell, a vast humanoid. He undulates rhythmically. Beware his deadly release schedule!
Oh look, more apocalypse in my cereal.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2011, 05:43:39 pm »

They go to war with other elven civs on occasion...

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO_RAGE:9001][TOO_HAIRY][ADAMANTINE BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2011, 05:45:08 pm »

Trapping the everloving shit out of the landscape can also generate more than enough meat too.
Son of Slaanesh, full of desire, He does cocaine and his head's on fire! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOM Rider! Doom rider! Na na, na na!

Salmonpunch

• Bay Watcher
  • Fishing poles are for the weak.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2011, 05:55:12 pm »

They go to war with other elven civs on occasion...

good point.
This is Gabe Newell, a vast humanoid. He undulates rhythmically. Beware his deadly release schedule!
Oh look, more apocalypse in my cereal.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2011, 07:45:06 pm »

So you embarked next to a human village, expecting they would protect you? Did you notice the celebrations they had when you moved in? They're happy that you're there to protect them!
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

MoonLightBird

• Bay Watcher
  • Hothothothot!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2011, 07:54:41 pm »

If you can get dogs or cats. They breed fast and make good food. Trade for them. I always bring 4 war dogs just so by the 4th or so year I have a steady supply of meat.

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2011, 08:04:40 pm »

For your next embark, if you would really like to have super-happy-friend time, I recommend playing as an adventurer first and accruing as many companions as possible. When you feel that you have gathered enough, lead them into the wilderness exactly where you intend to start your next fortress and "give in to starvation." Make careful note of where you died on the map.

When fortress mode begins, your dwarves will be greeted by a valiant band of local protectors (listed as "Friendly" on the units list) who will boldly pursue any evil-doers (such as goblins, the undead, and rabbits) who trespass within the bounds of their dwarven allies.

WARNING: It may be possible for these NPCs to chase others off of the map, and never be seen again.

fUN NOTE: If you abandon the fortress and return in adventure mode, your former NPCs allies will probably be hanging out in the meeting zones you designated. ^_^

You could also look into that "embark anywhere" utility, which would allow you to plop down right in the middle of a human town. This, however, for some reason tends to aggro ~1/2 of the residents.
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

Mr.Elendig

• Bay Watcher
  • [TWISTED][INSANE][CANT_SPELL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2011, 08:08:04 pm »

Maybe the violent mushrooms are really undead mooshroms invading from a parallel universe? We allSome of us know how nasty hooved creatures can be after all.

Elves aren't cannibals if they eat the corpses of Dwarves and Humans, that's just called being f--ked up. Its only Cannibalism if its a member of their own race being devoured.

Don't forget carts.

Anyway the much beloved immigrants usually end up providing me with quite a bit of meat in my early forts. The last wave did consist of just as many animals as dwarfs, much to my dismay, since I seem to have misplaced quite a large portion of my population somewhere. I have a suspicion that the magma cleansing after the last attack from a dust spewing toad had something to do with it though.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2011, 08:29:11 pm »

You could also look into that "embark anywhere" utility, which would allow you to plop down right in the middle of a human town. This, however, for some reason tends to aggro ~1/2 of the residents.

"Hey, what's up! We're from the mountainhomes. So, while looking for a nice place to embark, we stumbled upon this little town you got here, really nice place by the way. And we figured you wouldn't mind if we decided to settle down here for a while. So yeah, we'll just start tunneling under your city, doing some minor demolition, siphoning some of your resources, maybe put a megaproject right over there... Don't worry though. You won't even notice we're here.
Oh! one more thing, we're gonna be digging our way down to the magma sea, so if you notice any untold horrors ascending from the godforsaken depths of the earth, be sure to tell us, and we'll get right on that."

Yeah, i can see how dwarves wouldn't be the most welcome of guests.

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2011, 08:31:50 pm »

"Hey, what's up! We're from the mountainhomes. So, while looking for a nice place to embark, we stumbled upon this little town you got here, really nice place by the way. And we figured you wouldn't mind if we decided to settle down here for a while. So yeah, we'll just start tunneling under your city, doing some minor demolition, siphoning some of your resources, maybe put a megaproject right over there... Don't worry though. You won't even notice we're here.
Oh! one more thing, we're gonna be digging our way down to the magma sea, so if you notice any untold horrors ascending from the godforsaken depths of the earth, be sure to tell us, and we'll get right on that."

Yeah, i can see how dwarves wouldn't be the most welcome of guests.

ROFL
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."
Pages: 1 [2]