Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10

Author Topic: "Specialsurprise", The Medical Experiment - For SCIENCE!  (Read 57758 times)

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
Re: "Specialsuprise", The Medical Experiment - For SCIENCE!
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2011, 05:58:35 pm »

Suggestion: Experiment - drop subject on a second subject (standing in the landing zone) from 20 stories up. Document wounds of both subjects.
Both will be stunned, but unharmed.

Sad, I know.

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
  • Ph.Dwarf & Practitioner of ‼MEDICINE‼
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2011, 06:08:17 pm »

Assessment: Results haven't been terribly promising so far.

Query: What is done with testing waste? Hygiene must be taken into account. Building coffins costly endeavour - consider burning remains.

Suggestion: Consider dropping the next subject from 15 levels. Results may be more promising (or at least less messy).

Suggestion: Food - doctor and nurses' health should be put above those of the subjects'. Sub-par food goes to subjects, quality food intended for medical staff.

Suggestion: Vermin - acceptable food source in times of scarcity. Less fat = less mess during surgery, besides.

Suggestion: Experiment - drop subject on a second subject (standing in the landing zone) from 20 stories up. Document wounds of both subjects.

Suggestion: Cat - after determining survivable fall height for dwarf subject, try to determine if small animals survive from higher altitudes. (This suggestion is mostly for my own amusement, I'll admit - will leave more vermin for subjects to eat, though.)

Comment: Keep up the good work.

Testing waste is being tossed in a communal burial by the nurses.  Clothes are also dumped, and blood is cleaned up.

The food is higher quality for the doctor and nurses - the subjects get uncooked plump helmets and wine, with the odd bit of ale thrown in accidently. 

That damned cat is killing all the vermin in sight, and it grew up to become an adult cat after Subject 3's fall.

The second phase of testing will be posted tomorrow sometime.
Specialsurprise - a Tale of ‼Medicine‼ and ‼Science‼ !

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: "Specialsurprise", The Medical Experiment - For SCIENCE!
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2011, 07:39:48 pm »

This.
Is.
AWESOME!

Maybe once you get your doc leveled some, you can test the skills needed for treating a magma victim?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2011, 11:18:03 pm »

Perhaps at the bottom of the pit you could engrave onto the floor,

"This is the special surprise..."

This sombre phrase would be the last thing to go through the dwarf's head. Both figuratively and literally.
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

Kofthefens

• Bay Watcher
  • Keep calm and OH GOD CAPYBARAS
    • View Profile
    • Marshland Games
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2011, 11:39:33 pm »

Um.. well.. thats interesting.  An Elf merchant and his donkey went insane for.. no reason.  They just stood outside for ages until they both went nuts, the elf going melancholy and the donkey going berserk.  The donkey then killed my weaver. 
Now the donkey is chasing a giant moose around my map..

I once had a donkey go beserk. It killed my military and the caravan guards. It got to be a Legendary Fighter/Biter/Kicker.

Your Fortress has crumbled to it's end. Because of a donkey.
I don't care about your indigestion-- How are you is a greeting, not a question.

The epic of Îton Sákrith
The Chronicles of HammerBlaze
My website - Free games

ulan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2011, 02:09:11 am »

On that subject - what happens to Subjects who're too infirmed to ever walk again and will spend the rest of their lives in the hospital?

Johnny Dwarf got his axe, anyone?

Boost One

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2011, 04:36:02 am »

I hate elves, and their super-donkeys.  This one had a nice little title going for it.. not sure what it was though, as I save scummed.

Just had this happen to me a week ago. The donkey killed my only squad of dwarves before murdering 20 civilians. I only brought it down with three suicide squads led by the Mayor. I swear, these donkeys... I mean, we know the elves have a giant animal breeding program, and I think these donkeys must be, like, miniaturised giant donkeys or something.

The elves named the donkey and I checked the translation. Its name meant "Whitelash Daub Twist". So not only was it a berserk miniaturised giant donkey, it was a racist berserk miniaturised giant donkey. Damned Elves, always trying to keep the short guy down.

peri609667

• Bay Watcher
  • I am shocked and appalled.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2011, 05:34:54 am »

The donkey killed his elf, killed my weaver, then chased the moose around until mid summer, when the moose ran into my fort, donkey trailing it, where the donkey killed the moose (note, this is a GIANT moose), a dwarven child, and three of my militia before we could kill it, and thus began a tantrum spiral that caused me to have to save scum.  :|

I hate elves, and their super-donkeys.  This one had a nice little title going for it.. not sure what it was though, as I save scummed.
Sig'd.
I love this. In three pages we've gone from being willing to eat intelligent beings, to trying to make them *more* intelligent, so it will be more fun to eat them.

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2011, 06:21:56 am »

Journal of Dr. Logum, Ph.Dwarf, Chief Medical Officer of Ganadstot, “Specialsurprise”

A second wave of test subjects arrived, 8 in total.  We are now up to 24 test subjects, with more probably on the way in the coming months. 

The second phase of testing will commence with five more randomly chosen subjects to be dropped at varying heights beginning at one story.  After each test, the subject will be sent back up one story higher until the subject expires or it has been deemed that the test is over.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Subject 6: Male, approx. 65 years, average

Test: 1 + 2 story drop

Results (1 Story): No injuries, slightly stunned upon impact. 

Results (2 Stories): Lower & Upper Right Arm & Elbow are broken + bruised , Lower & Upper Right leg is broken + bruised, Right upper body + Right Lung are bruised.  No external bleeding.  Subject is in extreme pain. 

Treatment:   Lower arm + elbow require surgery, everything requires cleaning, sutures, setting, & immobilization.    Subject is infected in four places.  Testing will be delayed on Subject 6 until fractures have healed.

Notes: Oddly, the subject is ecstatic even after its two story fall.  It seems as if it enjoyed the company of my two nurses who fed it and carried it to the treatment room.  With four splints and its right limbs wrapped in bandages, its a wonder it can still walk even without the aid of a crutch.  There seem to be no lasting, visible scars, and its bruises, including that to its lung, healed up rather quickly.  If it survives the month, what with its arm and leg being infected, I will give the subject another check up and send it to try a drop from three stories.

Subject 7: Male, approx. 54 years, highly muscular

Results (1 story): No injuries, stunned upon impact.  Swore loudly.  Fell asleep afterward.

Results (2 stories):   Right Upper & Lower arm is bruised and broken.  Right shoulder is broken.  Left Lower leg is bruised and broken.  Right lung is bruised.

Treatment: Requires dressing, suturing, setting, and immobilization for limbs.  Surgery is needed for the right shoulder and right upper arm.  Shoulder became infected.  Testing will be delayed until the subject has healed.

Notes: Subject 7, had an interesting combination of fractures.  It seemed as when it was falling it attempted to land using its right arm and left leg to land, causing its resulting fractures. 

Subject 8: Female, approx. 51 years, average size

Results (1 story): No injuries, was stunned at impact.

Results (2 stories):   Subject landed on her head.  All limbs are attached to the body.  Body and limbs are also oozing blood, as was blood splattered on the floor and wall upon impact.   Subject did not survive.

Notes: A minor fluke in the experiment, when the subject does a flip at such a short distance and attempts to land using its head.    

Subject 9: Female, approx. 55 years, thin

Results (1 story): No injuries upon landing.  Looked scared as it was lead up to the second test.

Results (2 stories): Upper Right Leg Broken, Lower Left Leg broken, Upper Left Arm broken, Lower Spine broken.  Extreme Pain.

Treatment: Dressing, Suturing, Setting, and immobilization for all injuries.

Notes: A curious one, this one apparently had some doctoral experience in its previous career field.  After landing, it screamed about its spine and did an accurate diagnosis of its own injuries.  Then it passed out from the pain.  It is highly unlikely that Subject 9 will ever be able to walk again.  Time will tell.   

After treatment, Subject 9 crawled her way back to her room, moaning about pain and lasting injuries. Further testing will commence after a period of time to allow injuries to heal.

Subject 10: Female, approx 85 years, extremely muscular

Results (1 story): Landed on her feet with a thud, was stunned like that for a moment.  Proceeded with next test immediately.

Results (2 stories):   Left Lower Leg bruised + broken, Right Hand bruised + broken, Left foot broken, Right food bruised, Left Lower Arm bruised + broken.

Treatment: Dressing, Suturing, Setting, Immobilization for all injuries.  Left Foot requires Traction for overlapping fractures.   

Notes: Will finish treating the patient once I'm done with this Break.  And taking a nap on a bed next to the patient.

Patient is resting in traction now, once finished, a crutch will be given and it'll be sent off to recuperate.

------------------------------------------------------------------

And so ends the second phase of testing.  Only one casualty this time, with the other four subjects receiving interesting, albeit curable, injuries.

As for the subject's quarters, a still has been constructed for them to make their own alcohol.  It was deemed by the supply fort that it was too difficult to supply nearly 50 test subjects with alcohol using the current process, as more testees arrived. Therefore, all subjects will gather plants and brew their own alcohol, recycling the current number of pots and barrels they have on hand.  The hospital will still be supplied by the supply fort, of course.

The third phase of testing will see a return similar to the first phase, where subjects will be dropped from extreme heights.  Subject 2.75 has adopted a new test subject, and both will be in the first test.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 11:09:28 am by Crustypeanut »

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2011, 06:28:01 am »

Perhaps at the bottom of the pit you could engrave onto the floor,

"This is the special surprise..."

This sombre phrase would be the last thing to go through the dwarf's head. Both figuratively and literally.

I like this idea.. I'll make some of the surviving test subjects engrave the landing pad.

peri609667

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2011, 06:36:13 am »

Screenshots?
I love this. In three pages we've gone from being willing to eat intelligent beings, to trying to make them *more* intelligent, so it will be more fun to eat them.

ZeroSumHappiness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2011, 06:36:39 am »

Urist McTestSubject admired a masterfully engraved floor.  Urist McTestSubject was showered by his own giblets today.  Urist McTestSubject has died.

Boost One

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2011, 06:38:20 am »

Engraved on the floor is an exceptionally designed image of Test Subject 5 the dwarf and Doktor Logem Lokumlektad the dwarf. Test Subject 5 is falling. Doktor Logem Lokumlektad is laughing. Test Subject 5 looks surprised. The image relates to !!SCIENCE!! in Ganadstot in the mid spring of 261.

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2011, 06:47:34 am »

"The Fins of Corrupting"

The only interesting engraving there was..

Screenshots?

There isnt' really much to show.. the fortress isn't all that fancy XD But I suppose I can screenshot some of the more interesting injuries, once I see some.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 07:13:51 am by Crustypeanut »

peri609667

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2011, 07:53:18 am »

I'm mostly interested in your "test tower". A few screens of the forts would be good too. It helps to visualize the story 8)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10