Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10

Author Topic: "Specialsurprise", The Medical Experiment - For SCIENCE!  (Read 57428 times)

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
Re: "Specialsurprise", The Medical Experiment - For SCIENCE!
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2011, 07:58:13 am »

How does Doktor Logum like oysters? Was the engraving a subjects revenge at him?

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
  • Ph.Dwarf & Practitioner of ‼MEDICINE‼
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2011, 08:02:50 am »

Apparently he doesn't like oysters AT ALL. 

I'll get screenshots of the fort soon
Specialsurprise - a Tale of ‼Medicine‼ and ‼Science‼ !

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2011, 08:05:15 am »

He seems like a very strong, medically trained, sociopath. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2011, 08:12:29 am »

At least he likes working with people...

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2011, 08:27:52 am »

Journal of Dr. Logum, Ph.Dwarf, Chief Medical Officer of Ganadstot, “Specialsurprise”

It has been a few months since the second phase of testing ended.  A very large concentration of test subjects arrived, twenty in total.  At this rate, we will have a difficult time housing them all. 

Subjects 6, 7, and 9 have healed quite admirably.  Subject 9 is, and forever will be, unable to walk.  It crawls along the ground, mumbling about unsafe medical practices.  I'll have to use this one in the next phase of testing, lest it attempt to stir up trouble with the other test subjects.  Subjects 6 and 7 have been rather content lately, not worried about their future testing.  Subject 10 is still in traction.

For the third phase of testing we will return to the dropping of subjects from extreme heights, starting at fifteen stories.

--------------------------------------------------

Subject 11: Male, approx 63 years, very muscular and thin
Subject 11.5: Female Lamb, Pet of Subject 11

Test: Fifteen story drop

Results: Subject 11's limbs were severed from the torso upon impact.  Subject 11.5 was able to evade testing by leaping from the launch pad at launch, landing on the stairwell.  Subject 11 did not survive.

Notes: Launch pad contains a flaw in it's design that allows certain test subjects, namely the pets of test subjects, to escape testing.  Likely the same thing occurred with Subject 2.75.

Subject 11 landed on the engraving of an engraving of our government's symbol, a pipe section.  Perhaps some of the more superstitious test subjects can find some meaning in this. 

Subject 12: Male, approx. 71 years, corpulent
Subject 2.75: Female Cat, Subject 2 + 12's pet

Test: Fourteen Story Drop

Results: Similar results as subject 11.  Subject 2.75 again evaded testing, despite being on the launch pad at launch.  Subject 12 did not survive.

Notes: Subject 2.75 is a tough one to test.  This is the second time it's evaded testing.  We'll see if it adopts yet another test subject.

Subject 13: Male, approx. 52 years, poorly muscled

Test: Thirteen Story Drop

Results: Dismemberment upon impact.  Subject did not survive.

Notes: One odd thing about this test is that one of Subject 13's legs landed a story above where the landing pad, on the stairwell, which is on the opposite side of the landing pad.  How this happened is a mystery.

Subject 14: Male, approx. 87 years, fat – also to note, apparently quite durable
Subject 14.5: Female Bunny, Subject 14's pet

Test: Twelve Story Drop

Results: Both Subject 14 and Subject 14.5 were dismembered upon landing, their limbs covering the floor around where they landed.  Subjects did not survive.

Notes: Subject 9 somehow got down here during the experiment and saw the entire thing happen.  More and more I believe this one is looking for a way to either contaminate the experiment or usurp my role as chief medical officer of the fortress.  The next testing phase will see Subject 9, along with Subjects 6, 7, and 10, dropped from three or more stories. 

Subject 15: Male, approx. 75 years, incredibly skinny

Test: Eleven Story Drop

Results: Instantaneous death upon landing.  Subject lost all limbs except for the right leg.  Subject did not survive.

Notes: Subject 11.5 has been loitering at the landing pad, ever since it's master died.  Subject 15 nearly landed on it this time.

------------------------------------------

And so ends the third phase of testing.  Less for me to do than during the second phase, but no less entertaining scientific. Subject 9 will have an eye kept on it at all times as it crawls around due to the spine injury. Subject 10 seems to be fully healed, but stuck in traction.  I should probably let it out soon.

One of the nurses has had a pair of children running around, three and four years old.  I'm not entirely sure where they came from, but they've been assisting us by picking up odd pieces of clothing and taking them to their mother's room.  Occasionally they'd play in the puddles on the landing pad, when testing is not going on.  Then they'd proceed to mess up my well by cleaning themselves. 

Phase four of testing will commence in the coming months.  We will return to subjects 6, 7, 9, and 10, along with a randomly chosen fifth subject.  Each will be dropped from three stories. 
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 11:09:47 am by Crustypeanut »

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 17, 2011, 08:33:47 am »

Island of Dr. Moreau, anyone?
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Kofthefens

• Bay Watcher
  • Keep calm and OH GOD CAPYBARAS
    • View Profile
    • Marshland Games
« Reply #37 on: September 17, 2011, 02:01:42 pm »

At least he likes working with on people...
I don't care about your indigestion-- How are you is a greeting, not a question.

The epic of Îton Sákrith
The Chronicles of HammerBlaze
My website - Free games

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 17, 2011, 02:38:30 pm »

Heres a pair of screenshots of the fortress - its not fancy XD

The hospital

The subject's quarters

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 17, 2011, 02:46:01 pm »

Ah, finally, a dwarf I can identify with! This test is excellent!
I have a request: try to test whether a fall can dismember without instantaneous death.
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 17, 2011, 02:50:37 pm »

I'll probably be getting around to that eventually.. I want to find the maximum height a dwarf can survive, even if they die minutes later.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 17, 2011, 09:34:00 pm »

I remember reading somewhere that falls of 10+ z-levels remove the living tag or somesuch from a falling critter, but that seems suspect. Seems like a nice, round death-number, though.

And, to Dr. Killpatient: Not possible, unless you are content with dismemberment not including the head and the common death from acceleration-induced decapitation.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 17, 2011, 09:44:14 pm »

If anyone sieges/ambushes, I suggest -ahem- "recruiting" them.

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 17, 2011, 09:49:28 pm »

I remember reading somewhere that falls of 10+ z-levels remove the living tag or somesuch from a falling critter, but that seems suspect. Seems like a nice, round death-number, though.
Enemies sometimes survive it, particularly lightweight ones.
Soaplent green is goblins!

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 17, 2011, 10:22:31 pm »

Invasions are off.. too much randomness with them on.  Especially seeing as I have the fortress defense mod with all of it's bonus and challenge races in there, minus the two flying ones. 

The next testing phase will have to wait until sometime tomorrow, tonight I'm beat.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10