Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10

Author Topic: "Specialsurprise", The Medical Experiment - For SCIENCE!  (Read 57963 times)

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
  • Ph.Dwarf & Practitioner of ‼MEDICINE‼
    • View Profile
Re: "Specialsurprise", The Medical Experiment - For SCIENCE!
« Reply #90 on: September 21, 2011, 06:31:26 pm »

I keep thinking of Logum as 'Urist mcMengele'.

In Dwarf fortress, this isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Thats what I meant him to be like... the "Todesengel" profession name I gave him means "Angel of Death" in german.. got it from Josef Mengele's wiki article.   

Though, I kinda also imagine him like The Medic in TF2. Pain killers are for elves!
...and that's how I lost my medical license.
-number 9: "kill me."
-Doktor Logun: "Later."
Time for Doktor Logun to use ze Giant Badger heart?

BAHAHHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAH Oh god I need a psychiatrist.

More like the Giant Moose Heart.. we got lots of them running around, harassing the test subjects trying to gather plants.

Expect the next journal posting in hopefully no more than a few hours, I'm working on it now.
Specialsurprise - a Tale of ‼Medicine‼ and ‼Science‼ !

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
  • Ph.Dwarf & Practitioner of ‼MEDICINE‼
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 21, 2011, 07:47:30 pm »

Journal of Dr. Logum, Ph.Dwarf, Chief Medical Officer of Ganadstot, “Specialsurprise”

The most odd thing happened as I was sitting down to write.  I heard screams and yells coming from up the supply shaft.  A moment later, the manager of the supply fort and mayor of Ganadstot at large, dropped a note attached to a battered and bloodied corpse.  One of the workers up there apparently got battered to death by a vengeful ghost.  Hah! Ghosts.. they don't exist, superstitious old fool.

Upon autopsy of the victim, it is apparent that he died of severe blunt trauma – not unlike many of the test subjects.  It is possible that the scream I heard was from the victim falling down the supply shaft, and the injuries are from the landing.  At first, it would sound like a simple case of clumsiness.. but why then would a note be attached? Foul play? Suicide? Who knows.. but as long as I continue receiving supplies, I don't care.

Anyways, back onto the experiment at hand.  Phase six of the testing will involve five randomly chosen test subjects dropped at varying stories beginning at ten, then lowering one story per subject until either one survives, or we run out of test subjects. 

--------------------------------------------

Subject 27: Male, approx 88 years, Skinny
Subject 27.5: Male Bunny, Subject 27's Pet

Test: Ten Story Drop

Results:  Instantaneous death for both Subject 27 and 27.5 upon landing.  All limbs of both subjects were severed and spread around the landing pad. Subjects did not survive.

Notes: A spectacular fall, Subject 27 did no less than eight flips on the way down and ended up doing a belly flop onto the landing pad.  Subject 27.5 landed right next to it's master, becoming a beautifully gory mess in the mean time.  The landing pad is now officially completely covered in the bodily fluids of the test subjects.  Nurse Helene's oldest child was present to watch the test alongside myself.  This child has potential, as he showed great interest in the experiment, laughing uncontrollably as only a child can at the test's results.  While Subject 27 was being hauled away by Nurse Helene, I gave the child the remains of subject 27.5 to do with as he pleases.  He attempted to reassemble it using some thread in the hospital.  I think I'll give all of the animal remains to this child from now on.  Perhaps something interesting will come out of it.

---
Subject 28: Female, approx 67 years, Skinny and small
Subject 29: Female, approx 8 days old, thin build with little fat, Child of Subject 28

Test: Nine Story Drop

Results:
Subject 28: Second Finger Left Hand bruised, broken, and smashed open, Left Upper Leg bruised and broken, Left Lower Leg bruised and broken. Lower Body, Upper Body, Right Lung, Head bruised, Upper and Lower Spine broken, Left Hip Broken

Subject 29:  Left Hand bruised and broken, Right Lower Leg bruised and broken, Left Lower Leg bruised and broken, Left Upper Leg bruised and broken, Right Hand bruised and broken, Lower Body and guts bruised.

Treatment: Not Applicable for Subject 28, subject suffocated shortly after impact.

Subject 29: Not Applicable.  Unknown whereabouts.

Notes: Oddly surprising that both test subjects survived from a nine story drop, even if one died shortly after.  Subject 29 could not be operated on, as the little bastard crawled off despite it's injuries.  The nurses are now unable to locate it.  I expect we'll find it in a corner eventually, dead.  Oh well.  Onto the next test!

---
Subject 30: Male, approx 61 years, thin and weak

Results:  Left Foot bruised and broken, Left Lower Leg bruised and broken, Right Upper Leg bruised and broken, Left Upper Leg bruised and broken, Left Upper Arm bruised and broken, Guts, Lower Body,, Upper Body, Left Lung bruised

Treatment: All injuries require Dressing, Suturing, Setting, and Immobilization.  Crutch will be required.

Notes: Subject was oddly calm during the treatment process.  Most of the subjects generally whine about the pain, scream for their lives, or pass out.  This one simply relaxed and attempted to converse with me while I was treating it.  Mentioned about how well designed the “Bridge” he was standing on was.  For once I wish the subject WOULD scream in pain or pass out.  But, since it was being so calm, I had it hold some of my tools for me.  Nurse Emma was busy drinking out of the Sunshine barrel, and Nurse Helene was still searching for Subject 29 with the assistance of her children.  She believes it's hiding among the corpses in the graveyard.. maybe attempting a game of “Hide and Seek” with its deceased parent.

---
Subject 31: Male, approx 72 years, short with incredible muscles
Subject 31.5: Male Keet, pet of subject 31

Results:
Subject 31: Left Lower Arm bruised and broken, Left Upper Leg bruised and broken, Right Hand bruised and broken, Left Hand bruised and broken, Lower Body, Upper Body, Liver, and Stomach bruised.

Subject 31.5: Lower Body, Upper Body, Liver, and Guts bruised.

Treatment:
Subject 31: Left Lower Arm, Left Upper Leg, Right Hand, Left Hand require Dressing, Suturing, Setting, and Immobilization.

Subject 31.5: Not applicable – Not only do I not operate on animals, but the animal healed up rather quickly.

Notes: Subject attempted to land with it's hands – didn't work.  The injuries are not permanent, but it will not be able to hold onto anything for quite some time, let alone a crutch.  I suppose I can tie one to it's working arm.  That, or let it find it's own way around.  Doesn't matter to me.

Subject 31.5 escaped with no lasting injuries – I believe it is due to it's extremely light weight as well as its small and pathetic wings.  Pity.  I was going to give it's remains to Helene's son, Bim.  He was disappointed it survived as well.

-----------------------------------

And so ends the sixth phase of testing.  I was surprised that the test subjects survived nine story drops.  All four of them survived immediate impact, although not all survived long after that.  I am particularly curious to see how well that eight day old child fared, but we are still unable to locate it.  Sometimes, at night, we can hear it making noises.. playfully giggling sometimes, crying other times.  But when the nurses search for it, they cannot find it. 

Subject 9 is still in traction, it's toe is unable to heal.  The toe is beginning to look infected as well.  There is a chance Subject 9 will die from infection, even though I cleaned it's toe with llama soap.  Oh well.  I'm just glad it's not bugging me anymore.  Its constantly in a stupor, just staring at the ceiling, mouth gaping open.  Occasionally I'll catch the children attempting to throw a wadded up sock from one of the deceased test subjects into Subject 9's open mouth, as a game to see who can make it from the furthest distance.  Ah, children these days, entertained with the simplest of games.

The seventh phase of Testing will see ten randomly chosen test subjects dropped in two mass tests from ten stories, to see if it's at all possible to survive that drop.  With the high amount of survivors from nine stories, I believe they can survive that height.  If a large number of them do survive, I'll look into eleven stories again.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 07:53:12 pm by Crustypeanut »
Specialsurprise - a Tale of ‼Medicine‼ and ‼Science‼ !

Euneria By Charles Larch

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 21, 2011, 09:03:19 pm »

Oh, my guts is bruised! Nurse!  :'(

Not the ugly petite one.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 09:05:36 pm by Euneria By Charles Larch »
Euneria is a work in progress. It can be purchased at http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0057Z81WW.
Updates are free.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 22, 2011, 01:46:24 am »

I wonder how Dr. Logum will react to the ghosts...he'll probably just see it as an opportunity to perform surgery, the sociopath.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 22, 2011, 08:14:50 am »

Medical !!SCIENCE!! is the best kind, because no one can even claim that it's unjustified or unnecessary.  Not that it matters what anyone says, because dwarves have the best rebuttal to anything.
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 22, 2011, 02:41:17 pm »

So falling 11+ z-levels leads to a dismemberment death? I'd be interested in knowing how deep a dodge-trap pit has to be to maximize death while minimizing hauling (if you have to clean it).

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 22, 2011, 02:42:53 pm »

So falling 11+ z-levels leads to a dismemberment death? I'd be interested in knowing how deep a dodge-trap pit has to be to maximize death while minimizing hauling (if you have to clean it).
If you have one tile of magma at the bottom of said pit, there would be no clean-up required!

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 22, 2011, 02:46:25 pm »

If you have one tile of magma at the bottom of said pit, there would be no clean-up required!
It also wouldn't have to be 11+z deep if it had magma at the bottom.
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 22, 2011, 03:07:31 pm »

It also wouldn't have to be 11+z deep if it had magma at the bottom.
BUT THEN YOU WOULD NOT HAVE THE EXPLODEYNESS OF A PIT

Blood for the blood god  :P

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: September 22, 2011, 03:11:53 pm »

Let's have the best of both worlds.
Normal hard pit when stuff falls down.
Once everything precious is pillaged and stocked inside the fort, release 1-z level of magma to clean the rest, and drain it back somewhere else when it's done.
Rinse, repeat.
... I think I'll do that.
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 22, 2011, 03:26:17 pm »

dwarves have the best rebuttal to anything.
The Necro910 Effect, correct?

Obviously.  What else could it be but
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 22, 2011, 03:40:32 pm »

Water? YOU SAY WATER?

How can you even...

HOW DARE YOU, YOU INSOLENT LITTLE ELF

Necro cancels record keeping: Throwing tantrum.
An orthoclase floodgate has been destroyed!

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 22, 2011, 03:44:44 pm »

Great, you happy now? It's his second tantrum this week! Geez.
We'll need to put Necro910 in the room of Magmatic Happiness* to "calm him down".

*the one with a lever that floods the whole fort in magma, except for the one room where it is located
hey, it involves magma and happiness
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 22, 2011, 03:51:12 pm »

Water? YOU SAY WATER?

How can you even...

HOW DARE YOU, YOU INSOLENT LITTLE ELF

Necro cancels record keeping: Throwing tantrum.
An orthoclase floodgate has been destroyed!

But if you mix it with
MAGMAAAAAAAAAA
then you get
OBSIDIAAAAAAAAAAAN
which is very dwarven.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10