Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Learning to play Dwarf fortress while streaming  (Read 2518 times)

Araulius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Learning to play Dwarf fortress while streaming
« on: July 11, 2015, 10:37:59 am »

Hey there. I found it was difficult to learn this game without any guidance, and I have ended up dead alot. Which is to be expected.  I decided that I could stream and people could give their 2 cents and advice while watching me fail. Win/win right? I get to learn and you get to see my dwarves in agony! :D

If this interests you at all, or you decide to stay and help for the sake of being helpful, you can find my stream at http://www.twitch.tv/araulius

I hope to see you there! (HELP MEEEEEE!)

Isaac23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Learning to play Dwarf fortress while streaming
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2015, 11:29:34 am »

The learning curve of this game is tedious, and it would probably be better to keep a browser full of tabs to wiki articles instead of streaming.

That said, go for it. Go for firey death and make it fun.

Araulius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2015, 12:59:54 pm »

Well I have a basic understanding, and know think I know all the fundamentals. I'm to the stage where I can take advise from people as I go along and learn from them. Also, I'm booting up a stream now, if anyone wishes to drop in, you can. I fixed my stream cutting out issue. Turns out my DF keys were also the keys used as a hotkey to turn stream off and on. *facepalm*

FrankMcFuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished Cat Cooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2015, 05:43:08 pm »

Learning the game whilst streaming is the equivalent of hiring a dog to do brain surgery in front of a live TV audience. He doesn't know what he's doing, it's going to get messy. Anyone who knows how brain surgery is done will sigh in disbelief and anyone who doesn't recognise a brain surgery will be turned off the idea of brain surgery forever.

Yeah, this sounds like a pretty good metaphor.

My point is, when people who haven't played a certain game before watch someone play who doesn't know how to play then they never feel like trying it themselves. I had a bit of experience with this with certain youtubers who didn't bother playing the tutorial of Banished before filming (or even during) and now their entire fanbase think the game is awful.

I still encourage this though. It's actually a really good method of learning if you get more experienced players watching and commenting, and is a pretty good community experience... Until that one guy encourages you to flood the whole fort with magma.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 05:46:35 pm by FrankMcFuzz »
Urist cancels rest injury: Too injured

FrankMcFuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished Cat Cooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2015, 05:45:24 pm »

Accidental repost was accidental! :3
Urist cancels rest injury: Too injured