Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 46

Author Topic: The Saga of Weatherwires: Children of Dwarves (spoilers + image heavy)  (Read 155818 times)

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
Re: Weatherwires: Children of Dwarves/THE END IS NIGH (spoilers)
« Reply #480 on: December 18, 2011, 03:02:19 am »

Submit a copy to toady as a bug report. Since your game will have a tone of juicy little things he can use. If he finds a solution to some of your problems im sure when another weatherwires situation crops up itll go more smoothly.

Seconded. I'm sure that this game may pinpoint some of the issues that makes all games eventually crash, if they run too long. Could be useful for debugging, if its dissected.
Unfortunately it is unlikely that save is useful for debugging as it was edited using unauthorised third-party hacking utilities (merchant trapping - it is likely they cause crash due to lack of proper initialization as members of fort).
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

zombat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: December 18, 2011, 03:07:54 am »

This is a sign to go back to the pre-immigrant save and give the dome dwarves the death they deserve

DS

• Bay Watcher
  • DS cancels Attend Party: no floor space.
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: December 18, 2011, 03:14:15 am »

This is a sign to go back to the pre-immigrant save and give the dome dwarves the death they deserve

The save of which you speak is from 185... quite a bit of backtracking would be involved, and the resulting story would be incredibly different. At this point, however, I'm willing to narrate an alternate history, without the induction of merchant dwarves, for the sake of having a usable adventure mode save. Opinions?
Finished: Weatherwires, the Last Mountainhome. A tragic mix of Children of Men, City of Ember, and, uh, magma.
Stymied: Correspondence from Syrupurns, a prematurely ended narrative, told through annual updates.
In Progress: Roomcarnage, a fortress clinging to life beneath a haunted glacier.

FritzPL

• Bay Watcher
  • Changing avatar text since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: December 18, 2011, 03:47:18 am »

I have a *slight* issue while I try to explore Weatherwires as an adventurer - game crashes on me. Any ideas?

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: December 18, 2011, 04:04:06 am »

I have a *slight* issue while I try to explore Weatherwires as an adventurer - game crashes on me. Any ideas?
Bugs + messing with game -> crash. Maybe there is something in errorlog?
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Cellmonk

• Bay Watcher
  • You might find it, whatever it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: December 18, 2011, 04:25:14 am »

I think I'll learn from this not to use anything but dwarftherapist and vdig in my currently starting century fort. I'm glad I caught the beginning and middle of the collapse of weatherwires before I started my own. Anyways, I still haven't grasped the full epicness of weatherwires in the past few weeks I've been watching it. wait. I think I just grasped the full epicness. *Enters strange mood, demands shells in desert.*

DS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: December 18, 2011, 04:35:14 am »

Fritz, what save are you using to explore with? I'll check it myself to see if it's reproducible.

There is nothing relevant in the errorlog concerning any of these crashes.

As for messing with the game with Runesmith... I regret nothing.
Finished: Weatherwires, the Last Mountainhome. A tragic mix of Children of Men, City of Ember, and, uh, magma.
Stymied: Correspondence from Syrupurns, a prematurely ended narrative, told through annual updates.
In Progress: Roomcarnage, a fortress clinging to life beneath a haunted glacier.

FritzPL

• Bay Watcher
  • Changing avatar text since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: December 18, 2011, 05:00:40 am »

Using the one from first post, year 180-ish I believe.

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: December 18, 2011, 05:34:31 am »

Their may be merchant related bugs, but i realy realy doubt toady will have a problem spotting those and looking at all the tohers that have cropped up.
I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: December 18, 2011, 05:47:44 am »

Their may be merchant related bugs, but i realy realy doubt toady will have a problem spotting those and looking at all the tohers that have cropped up.
I can say this as programmer: crashing after editing with third party cheating utilities is not a bug.

Cellmonk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: December 19, 2011, 12:40:31 am »

I can say this as programmer: crashing after editing with third party cheating utilities is not a bug.
But the why of the crashing could be a bug of sorts, brought on by some weakness, even if it was triggered by the editing. So if one sees a weird thing with the caravan guards, that also happens to noble migrants, one might be able to pinpoint whats going on with the noble migrants.

DS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: December 19, 2011, 12:54:33 am »

Fritz, I managed to replicate the crash you describe. Mine occurs whenever one approaches the fortress out of travel mode - my guess is it has something to do with the raw size of the fort and the amount of exposed space and other items. In this case, there isn't any point in restarting the fort from a previous save - the 185 save is the earliest one I can find, so if it's already crashing in adventure mode, the problem isn't something that can be avoided. I can't do anything about it except extend my sincerest apologies.

The crash described by Fritz occurs in a save from well before I decided to edit the fort with Runesmith. Obviously I can't verify the nature of the abandon crash that the current save is experiencing - I have my suspicions, but it's pointless to pursue the issue further.

Also, while I understand that your intent was probably not to call me a cheater, I feel obliged to point out something about the nature of the fortress. After the initial infertility curse, I dedicated myself to recording the slow and inevitable fall of Weatherwires, in as much detail as I felt was necessary to entertain an audience. In this sense, I was no longer concerned with winning or losing. Tampering with the game using Runesmith, an act which would undeniably be cheating if I were challenging myself in the context of the game, thus became permissible because it was done solely to enhance the story.

That those actions may have irrevocably ruined the save is now a moot point to discuss, since the fort would not be explorable in adventure mode anyway. Coincidentally, in that same save, attempting to reclaim the fortress results in a crash as well. The only reason why, in this situation, the 234 abandon crash might be a real issue is that the new version of legends mode cannot be viewed - and yet, I think that this thread itself serves enough as a record of the events that took place after 185, so even that is not a huge loss.

The save from 185 is still bugged in a few ways - the infertility issue is but one of them. For the sake of avoiding issues caused by third party utilities, it will be the 185 fortress that I will submit, and I will only report bugs present in that save.

As far as the current story goes - I am currently in the process of working on a believable and satisfying ending to the saga.

That, however, will not be the end for Weatherwires - though it might seem as such from the point of view of anyone who is reading this thread. From the beginning, I had intended the fortress to be explored by a third party - ideally, other players in adventure or reclaim mode. Now it is clear that such exploration will not be a reality. However, I have struck upon an idea which will allow other people to explore Weatherwires as well as enabling me to continue the narration. I won't reveal more details than that, however, until after the saga is complete.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 12:56:40 am by DS »

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: December 19, 2011, 01:27:44 am »

It's sort of awesome how you've managed to keep this up.
I have a fort that's around 20 years old now, 250 dwarves and not really anything to do but randomly extend the food and booze stockpiles(they drink a LOT).

Then again I don't really have the imagination or anything special that I'd like to do, like a huge underground dome. I usually start doing the special thing from the start and see how it turns out(badly, most of the time).

Cellmonk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: December 19, 2011, 03:09:46 am »

However, I have struck upon an idea which will allow other people to explore Weatherwires as well as enabling me to continue the narration. I won't reveal more details than that, however, until after the saga is complete.

Hmmm... have you tried that dfhack modechange thing? someone could explore as the last survivor?

DS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: December 19, 2011, 03:34:15 am »

I have tried that, and it works - to a degree. It does allow a player to explore the fort as an adventurer, although it has the undesirable side effect of inducing hostilities between the plump helmet folk and the dwarves. Or possibly desirable. In any case, I'll make that option available by posting the last save before the end, so people have that option available to them.
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 46