Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 46

Author Topic: The Saga of Weatherwires: Children of Dwarves (spoilers + image heavy)  (Read 155835 times)

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
Re: Weatherwires: Children of Dwarves/THE END IS NIGH (spoilers)
« Reply #495 on: December 19, 2011, 04:49:52 am »

The crash described by Fritz occurs in a save from well before I decided to edit the fort with Runesmith.
Then it is useful and it is quite likely that Toady will fix it soon (crash bugs have higher priority).

Also, while I understand that your intent was probably not to call me a cheater.
Cheater? In single player? In a bug riddled game? Where main outcome is story (great story!)?

Now it is clear that such exploration will not be a reality.
Unfortunately also bugfix will change nothing, as savegame compatibility will be broken in the next version.

However, I have struck upon an idea which will allow other people to explore Weatherwires as well as enabling me to continue the narration. I won't reveal more details than that, however, until after the saga is complete.
I hope that I am wrong, but probably game will crash also on "Your fortress has crumbled to its end".
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

DS

• Bay Watcher
  • DS cancels Attend Party: no floor space.
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: December 19, 2011, 01:21:27 pm »

Cheater? In single player? In a bug riddled game? Where main outcome is story (great story!)?

Hence the point - if I was seeking to challenge myself in the context of the game (not trying to actively make a story), I would have seen it as cheating. But there's already a thread to discuss that, so I'm not going to worry about semantics here.

However, I have struck upon an idea which will allow other people to explore Weatherwires as well as enabling me to continue the narration. I won't reveal more details than that, however, until after the saga is complete.
I hope that I am wrong, but probably game will crash also on "Your fortress has crumbled to its end".

I've already tested that - it does crash. However, my idea for continued narration doesn't require the fort to actually successfully end. I'm still working it out, in any case.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 02:40:51 pm by DS »
Finished: Weatherwires, the Last Mountainhome. A tragic mix of Children of Men, City of Ember, and, uh, magma.
Stymied: Correspondence from Syrupurns, a prematurely ended narrative, told through annual updates.
In Progress: Roomcarnage, a fortress clinging to life beneath a haunted glacier.

DS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: December 20, 2011, 12:03:06 am »

In 1, the Merchant of Echoing founded Mountaindune and Whiskeredgloves, twin mountain halls dug into the mountain range known as the Enchanted Tower. By 18, both settlements had been broken, crushed beneath the heel of so many nightmarish horrors. The dwarves fled into the Enchanted Tower, making their homes in the highest spires, far from the influence of man or monster.

For generations, the Merchant of Echoing was a civilization in exile - a kingdom with no monarch, a country with no capitol. The dwarves must have lived day to day, feeding upon whatever meagre fungus could be scrounged from natural caves, and cowering in fear from the mountain titan, Usu Wavedpearl the Murky Deer. Nobody knows for sure - all dwarves who were alive during those days are dead, except for the commander, Ézum Openeddoors, and no records survive from those dark years.

Then, in 126, more than a century after the ettin Baspu Powerhale slew the last fool who stood in defense of Mountaindune, a group of seven dwarves descended from the peaks of the Enchanted Tower to found a new fortress, a bastion which would house dwarvenkind in peace and prosperity forever. With only a wagon hewed of tower-cap, the pioneers, naming themselves the Diamond Cloisters, struck the earth in the shadow of the Fire of Channels, a fuming active volcano overlooking the Musty Field, a terrifying temperate grassland. At that time, hopes were high, and prospects for the future were grand, despite the plagues of zombie giant badgers and constant goblin raids - and yet, the future seemed bright.

Alas, twas not to be.

It is 234. A mere eight dwarves remain, the last surviving members of a race that has always been struggling against adversity. Out of these eight, however, only one is a natural citizen, and thus a member of the Diamond Cloisters: Ézum Openeddoors the Robust Stoker of Lances. Despite being the militia commander, he is only acquaintances with one other living dwarf - the others are doubtless only aware of the presence of a legendary warrior, slayer of countless demons and last remnant of the original fortress.

For the first time, the dwarves of Weatherwires have elected a mayor who is not a member of the Diamond Cloisters - not an original citizen. Tun Dyefight, merchant, has been elected despite her having been strong-armed into joining the failing fortress in the first place.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Now, more than ever, these recruited dwarves regret their decision to willingly join their brethren beneath the earth. They gave up their mercantile prospects for the promise of endless wealth in the deeps - but they have come to realize that the promise of the queen, Domas Tickcities, was empty. The days of glory and wealth in Weatherwires are over - the artifacts have been sealed far beneath the earth in hell itself, and very soon the fortress itself will fade into myth forever.

The doom of Weatherwires had been apparent to all of the merchants and their guards for decades. The way to the surface was sealed, however, and the levers guarded by the militia. Tun and her comrades were, for better or worse, citizens of the fortress until its end.

Or were they? In the late winter of 234, Tun considers her options. The commander would die soon, she was sure - death itself kept a constant company about him.

As the last member of the Diamond Cloisters, Ézum was the only reason the merchants remained in the fortress. Weatherwires was dead, and yet the commander continued training, day in and day out, in the antechamber above the stairwell to hell - but the stair was sealed with obsidian hatches, controlled by levers. Clearly the commander was mad. Tun considers her options - she and her recruited companions could either stay and die, or escape and try risk their chances.

The year was almost out. The doom of Weatherwires approaches.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 01:41:41 pm by DS »
Finished: Weatherwires, the Last Mountainhome. A tragic mix of Children of Men, City of Ember, and, uh, magma.
Stymied: Correspondence from Syrupurns, a prematurely ended narrative, told through annual updates.
In Progress: Roomcarnage, a fortress clinging to life beneath a haunted glacier.

Cellmonk

• Bay Watcher
  • You might find it, whatever it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: December 20, 2011, 12:17:54 am »

OH ho ho! I like how this is going. From this, I can see you are in the process of forging a masterwork ending.

Panopticon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: December 20, 2011, 02:07:58 am »

I believe I see as well, brilliant.

DS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: December 20, 2011, 02:28:40 pm »

Spring arrives, unheralded.

Commander Ézum shows no signs of giving into old age - he merely continues training in the engraved antechamber, alone, running repeated weapon drills for a combat that will never come. He has reached the age of 165 - older than most dwarves have ever hoped to reach. And yet, despite his wrinkled skin and white beard and moustache (his scalp and sideburns are clean shaven), his close-set silver eyes still gleam with determination and purpose. He wears the finest suit of adamantine armor available in the fortress, and wields a steel shield and shortsword, both named by the commander himself.

A formidable opponent, were any to stand against him.

Tun and the other merchants grow weary of the situation. Any day now, Ilral Visioncloistered, that relentless spectre of death, could claim another one of them. With each passing day, the surface calls to the merchants more and more. They descended into Weatherwires, lured by lies of prosperity - but instead, all they found was rot and death. They are not pioneers, or migrants, or heroes - all of those are dead, save the mad commander. No, they were merchants, and merchant guards, who chose to be nomads, traveling from town to mountainhome to fortress and back again - and it was nomads they should have remained. It was a mistake to ever travel to Weatherwires in the first place - why did they not perceive the doom when they first arrived?

After the hellish trek from the human towns, they should have known. They came, first across the Dune of Phantoms, and many died from giant desert scorpion ambushes. Then, through the desecrated Musty Field, being plagued constantly by undead wildlife - not the least of which were swarms of zombie badgers. Finally, they arrived at Nugrethshorast, a smoking, fuming mountain, surrounded by countless corpses and littered with debris. At that point, the merchants should have known that the place was cursed - but the queen and her fortress guard had been exceptionally persuasive, and the newcomers had had no choice but to turn in their pack animals and join the rest of their race beneath the earth.

It had been a mistake.

Founding Weatherwires in the first place had been a mistake.

The dwarves should have remained in the high mountains, where they were safe, where they belonged. By descending to the edge of the flatlands, the Diamond Cloisters doomed themselves - they doomed all the dwarves.

So the merchants say to one another, as they gather beneath the shadow of the proud but foolish founders of Weatherwires.

DS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: December 20, 2011, 05:14:32 pm »

As the other merchants prepare their belongings and steel their nerves against the challenges to come, one dwarf wanders through the winding, carved streets of the dome and admires the accomplishments of her forbears. Solon Townclenched is the only dwarf left in the fortress with any appreciation for art or natural beauty, as well as the only dwarf to have made the acquaintance of the commander - perhaps it is her capacity to make friends quickly, and her appreciation for the architecture of the dome that has brought her into contact with the old warrior.

From the coffin garden in the southwest corner of the dome, Solon looks to the north. Midway up the building are pillars encircling an open mezzanine, which once contained the cages of dozens of trolls and goblins, captured when traps protected Weatherwires. Years back, those cages were tossed, prisoners and all, into the roiling, molten maw of the Fire of Channels. Two paths lead northward - one passes beneath the guildhall, mere meters above a reservoir of magma, and the other climbs steeply along the western edge of the dome, eventually reaching the tops of two other guildhalls.

Solon turns east, climbing up another winding path. She passes through the central mesa and, on a whim, turns south. After exiting the main hall within the mesa, she looks up, admiring the facade of the imposing barracks. Within this structure, too big to fully capture in a single glance from any direction, the legendary warriors of Weatherwires trained ceaselessly for decades. Also within this building were many chains and ropes, which held countless dwarves over the years - many prisoners died of thirst or starvation here, in this menacing building in the south of the dome. Now, it was populated only by the undead - none of the merchants would dare enter it. With a chill, Solon took one last glance at the entrance of the barracks, and turned northward.

To the north of the mesa was the founder's square, decorated by statues of six of the seven original pioneers who formed the Diamond Cloisters. Solon glanced to her right, to the east, and into the municipal garden that formed the mezzanine level of the red guildhall - once populated by the Gearguild and Gloveowners clan.

She yearned for a better view. There was only one place to get it - the top of Murdershot citadel. It was as sacred a place as one could find in the dome, but it overlooked everything, and this might be her last opportunity.

She climbed the avenue leading to the north, up into the mouth of the citadel.

DS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: December 20, 2011, 05:59:20 pm »

The citadel was silent except for the sound of Solon's footsteps, which echoed through the smoothed natural rock passageways like approaching thunder. Dust lay thick over every surface - nobody had come this way in years. The passage wound up through the citadel, and Solon passed bedrooms, memorial chambers, statuaries - all abandoned. Finally, she reached what had once been the queen's quarters - still filled with furniture of the finest artifice. Levers there were, in various alcoves or positions around the rooms - Solon touched none of them. She passed through the suite, making her way to the lonely top of the citadel - the tomb of the queen and her two royal children.

Solon had heard that the grove that grew atop the citadel was untouched by herbalist or woodcutter, but it was stunning to see just how overgrown the tomb really was. Fungus choked the smoothed pathway, blocking the intruder's view of the southern edge. Various bits of clothing, all showing some degree of wear, littered the few bits of muddy earth which were not claimed by fungi - the personal belongings of the Murdershot clan.

As she passed through the dense grove, Solon spotted the resting places of the two children. The princess, Cog Archwayward, had been interred into the black-cap casket known as the Last Scribe, on the western edge of the grove. On the opposite side was the diorite coffin, Glossrivers, which held the body of prince Asmel Deathchannels. Since they had been laid to rest, however, fungus had grown around and over their respective burial receptacles. Goblin-caps wound over the princess' casket, forming bulging veins of bright red that stood out against the black-cap artifact. Clumps of hardy black-cap had overgrown the prince's coffin, sealing the coffin shut.

At the southern tip of the citadel's summit, Solon found the queen's coffin, laid upon a smooth granite floor where no fungus would ever grow. Through the translucent light yellow diamond panels of Failedhushed the Music of Balding, the merchant thought she could almost make out the outline of the queen's skeleton - or maybe it was just a trick of the dim light cast off by the magma reservoir. She didn't look too long at the coffin, and instead peered southward out into the dome.

To the left, out over the red guildhall and the dome's main exit, through which mayor Tun was so eager to escape...

...to the right, over the tops of the other three guidlhalls, thick with fungus...

...and then straight south, to the ringed temple which dominated the center of the dome.

The view was exhilarating, but Solon couldn't shake the nagging feeling that she shouldn't be seeing it. This vantage point was meant for the queen, and the queen alone. She would forever be looking out over it through a pane of light yellow diamond. Unwilling to further disturb the royal dead, Solon quietly made her way back through the fungi-choked grove and back down into the ghost city, following the footprints she had left in the dust.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 01:57:48 am by DS »

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
  • Listen to my album at www.oldschoolpoindexter.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: December 20, 2011, 11:27:45 pm »

Jesus dude, what program are you using to get those POV shots?
ARE those actually POV shots or am i tripping?

what is going on here?

my brain just popped and i feel it oozing down my neck.

I DEMAND ANSWERS!!

Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!

Mapleguy555

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: December 21, 2011, 12:43:10 am »

@PointDexterity

Overseer

Lordraymond

• Bay Watcher
  • Doesn't afraid of anything
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: December 21, 2011, 01:51:53 am »

*Looks down at pants*

Yup.

I CAME AT THE EPICNESS
The question is: how do you profaine a temple dedicated to pure greed?
Give a donation.

DS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: December 21, 2011, 01:52:58 am »

Jesus dude, what program are you using to get those POV shots?
ARE those actually POV shots or am i tripping?

what is going on here?

my brain just popped and i feel it oozing down my neck.

I DEMAND ANSWERS!!

Yep! Overseer.

Epithemius

• Bay Watcher
  • [AFTERTHOUGHT:100]
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: December 21, 2011, 02:33:18 am »

*Looks down at pants*

Yup.

I CAME AT THE EPICNESS
*stares at Lordraymond*
*carefully hands tissue*
*backs away*

Lordraymond

• Bay Watcher
  • Doesn't afraid of anything
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: December 21, 2011, 03:48:44 pm »

*Pants catch on fire*

Did I mention that I came magma?
The question is: how do you profaine a temple dedicated to pure greed?
Give a donation.

Cellmonk

• Bay Watcher
  • You might find it, whatever it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: December 21, 2011, 03:57:51 pm »

*Pants catch on fire*

Did I mention that I came magma?

I'm sure that can be weaponized.
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 46