Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 46

Author Topic: The Saga of Weatherwires: Children of Dwarves (spoilers + image heavy)  (Read 154587 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Weatherwires: Children of Dwarves (slight spoilers)
« Reply #60 on: September 29, 2011, 11:32:03 am »

Did you change their merchant tags and any appropriate civilization tags?

DS

• Bay Watcher
  • DS cancels Attend Party: no floor space.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 29, 2011, 11:36:23 am »

I changed their merchant flags, which made them switch from @ to smileys. However, under the "Civilization" trait, they have a value of 68, the same as every other dwarf in the fort.
Finished: Weatherwires, the Last Mountainhome. A tragic mix of Children of Men, City of Ember, and, uh, magma.
Stymied: Correspondence from Syrupurns, a prematurely ended narrative, told through annual updates.
In Progress: Roomcarnage, a fortress clinging to life beneath a haunted glacier.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 29, 2011, 11:40:04 am »

Curious, and to be honest I haven't messed with it overly much.  Compare against a regular dwarf's flags and see if there's any differences.

Also, you now have quantum cages.  Cages within cages.  The next step is to put a cage inside of itself.

DS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 29, 2011, 11:44:32 am »

Also curious, that my fortress population is still listed as 92, despite the addition of two merchant dwarves. It appears that, no matter how many visitors I recruit (I would assume this includes humans), the dwarves will never actually view them as fortress natives.
Finished: Weatherwires, the Last Mountainhome. A tragic mix of Children of Men, City of Ember, and, uh, magma.
Stymied: Correspondence from Syrupurns, a prematurely ended narrative, told through annual updates.
In Progress: Roomcarnage, a fortress clinging to life beneath a haunted glacier.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 29, 2011, 11:46:24 am »

Try saving and reloading, perhaps?

DS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 29, 2011, 11:56:22 am »

No change, but I think it is because "Merchant" isn't a job category listed in the "z" status screen. If I enable a labor for the merchants and they gain a regular job, they may be incorporated into the fortress population.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 29, 2011, 12:01:54 pm »

It's possible.  Runesmith can further retract and add skills, though it usually only updates the profession when they get a level up or something to trigger a check.

DS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 29, 2011, 12:06:45 pm »

Yeah. Currently, I've enabled hauling on the two merchants. I would have enlisted more, but a goblin siege appeared at almost the exact same time - all the military dwarves were slain, along with five or six other merchants.  :'(

In any case, I've got other stuff to take care of today. The next block of time I have, though, I'm going to PULL THE LEVER and then things are going to get FUN in !!WEATHERWIRES!!.

DS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 01, 2011, 12:25:12 pm »

11th Opal, 185, Mid-Winter - With a safe amount of backup supplies stockpiled beneath the central mesa, a certain lever in the map room is designated to be pulled. As if by providence, Domas Tanineth, known as "Tickcities," of clan Murdershot, Queen of Weatherwires and the Merchant of Echoing, moves to pull the lever that will flood the entire dome with magma.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

As the dome floods with magma, I will be taking screenshots in both DF and Stonesense, and posting them along with relevant journal updates or other vital information.

My question - would this be better placed in a new thread, or should I just keep posting updates in here?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 01, 2011, 12:28:30 pm »

1: Is this suicide?
2: Keep going, don't stop until it's too late, and then continue to keep going!

DS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 01, 2011, 12:31:27 pm »

1: Is this suicide?

No. All the buildings in the dome are specifically designed to be magma-proof, and the insides of the buildings are all designated burrows. Unfortunately, many dwarves keep using the exterior walkways...

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 01, 2011, 12:36:26 pm »

Dwarves will walk through an un-burrowed area to reach their burrow.  You can set the dining hall, bedroom, and jeweler's shop as a burrow, and your jeweler will wander between the three freely.  Use traffic designations to help usher dwarves to preferred walkways.

DS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 01, 2011, 12:47:52 pm »

Done and done. As it turned out, sometime in the past I had designated all the exterior walkways as high traffic, and all the interior magmasafe passages restricted, and then I forgot about it. That's been fixed.

The first area to be flooded is the northeastern quarter, between the guildhall claimed by Gloveowners and Gearguild, and the dome wall. As it fills, the magma spills out of the relatively enclosed area and through the serpentine passages between pillars to slowly fill the adjacent areas, including a major avenue (a dwarf is visible walking that street in the SS screenshot).

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 01, 2011, 12:52:26 pm »

So this is basically submerging like Atlantis?  Except it's underground, and it's magma instead of water?  So, dwarven Atlantis?

DS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 01, 2011, 12:56:59 pm »

I suppose so, if you want to think of it like that. After the flooding is complete, only the tallest structures (the ring-shaped temple, and Murdershot citadel) will not be completely submerged.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 46