Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46

Author Topic: The Saga of Weatherwires: Children of Dwarves (spoilers + image heavy)  (Read 155719 times)

DS

• Bay Watcher
  • DS cancels Attend Party: no floor space.
    • View Profile
Re: The Saga of Weatherwires: Children of Dwarves (spoilers + image heavy)
« Reply #660 on: April 05, 2012, 01:21:23 am »

Oh man, that was an amazing story! It menaces with spikes of awesome!

Is it weird that I was absolutely heartbroken when the plump helmet men were killed?

not weird at all. I was having a jolly time while all the important dwarves were being splattered against walls, but when the goblins reached the mushroom people, I cried.

Nice to know I've struck a chord with people. It was a tragic moment, indeed.

Thank you Elanorea, techiboy, and Rawb for your praise. It was my pleasure to share it with the community.
Finished: Weatherwires, the Last Mountainhome. A tragic mix of Children of Men, City of Ember, and, uh, magma.
Stymied: Correspondence from Syrupurns, a prematurely ended narrative, told through annual updates.
In Progress: Roomcarnage, a fortress clinging to life beneath a haunted glacier.

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
  • Joined in the great Migration of 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: April 05, 2012, 06:14:19 am »

I am guess this has been asked before... BUT

Isn't it possible to simply'Reclaim' the site? Go back in and start it up again?
Ask not what the Dwarfs can do for you...
But ask.... why are they drunk all the time?

DS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: April 05, 2012, 11:18:10 am »

It is impossible to reclaim the site because the game crashes the moment Solon, the last dwarf, dies, or if one tries to simply abandon the fort. Likewise, the game crashes if one attempts to offload the site by using DFHack to take control of an adventurer and escape on foot.
Finished: Weatherwires, the Last Mountainhome. A tragic mix of Children of Men, City of Ember, and, uh, magma.
Stymied: Correspondence from Syrupurns, a prematurely ended narrative, told through annual updates.
In Progress: Roomcarnage, a fortress clinging to life beneath a haunted glacier.

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
  • Joined in the great Migration of 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: April 05, 2012, 02:57:46 pm »

wow...when you kill a fort you REALLY kill it.
Ask not what the Dwarfs can do for you...
But ask.... why are they drunk all the time?

Cellmonk

• Bay Watcher
  • You might find it, whatever it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: April 05, 2012, 07:12:25 pm »

Does it generate a crash log? maybe that could give us an idea of whats happening.

Xebeth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: April 06, 2012, 01:14:18 am »

This was an epic and inspiring tale. I especiallly liked the suspense in the end with the lever pulling; great writing. I downloaded the save with Solon as an adventurer and switched back to fort mode with dfhack. Alas, even after various cleaning of the map, the game still crashes when abandoning from what looks like a dereferenced NULL pointer. Didn't get very far in disassembling the issue but I'll give it another go over the weekend. Did you get any feedback from Toady after you email'd him the save? Anyway, I look forward to more of your achievements.

nukularpower

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: April 06, 2012, 02:30:07 am »

This was damn fine.  I especially like how you included an adventurer save to play as a forgetten beast exploring it!   Thanks for the effort :)

DS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: April 06, 2012, 01:49:08 pm »

Did you get any feedback from Toady after you email'd him the save?

Uh... confession: I never sent Toady the save or filed a bug report. That's probably incredibly irresponsible of me as a member of the community, but I was so preoccupied with other business that simply wasn't a priority for me at that time. It seems like a moot point now that the new version is released. In retrospect, I should familiarize myself with the bugtracker so that I can file reports easily in the future.

Azri

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Fey Moods]
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: April 09, 2012, 10:25:06 pm »

In reference to responses: I'm glad to have contributed. After reading something so made of pure Dwarf-win as this, I felt the need to post something- tie up a loose end or the like. Seriously, DS- Rock on, and post another story.
Currently: Writing Watchword.
Tips, criticism and appreciation (If you like it, lemme know!) should be posted in the thread, or PM'd to me.

Weq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: April 10, 2012, 10:43:31 am »

Just spent a whole day at work reading this thread (12 hour shift) and I must say that this is awsome....

Before the ending I was trying to think ahead of what could be your possible outcome, especially with 1 dwarf in hell training and seven merchants trying to escape (thought was time for another embark - 7 dwarfs)

For some reason also, when the last dwarf fell into magma fighting off the 4 trolls, I was reminded of Gandalf fighting the Balrog. However, dwarfs having hairier balls than humans, he took 4 with him instead of just one.

Anyways, looking forward to reading about your next fortress.

DS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: April 11, 2012, 11:34:39 am »

Before the ending I was trying to think ahead of what could be your possible outcome, especially with 1 dwarf in hell training and seven merchants trying to escape (thought was time for another embark - 7 dwarfs)

I must say, that was entirely the direction I was going with it. Ultimately, the fortress beginning and ending with seven dwarves seemed appropriate - and then the goblins showed up and ruined everything. Typical.

Thanks for the praise - I don't know when my next (public) fortress will be. I actually haven't been playing a whole lot recently, mostly due to all my free time being spent practicing and doing homework. In all likelihood, I'll start something this summer, but realistically I'm waiting for some kind of inspiration. Weatherwires was born in a kind of fevered midsummer pipe dream when a friend and I communally envisioned a hemispherical dwarven utopia, and I took off with it the very next day. Rest assured, when something happens, it will be posted on this forum.

Arcane Howitzer

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: June 06, 2012, 05:48:23 pm »

What ever happened to those pterasuar devils that made it to the surface? You said one of them was taken down by a goblin siege, then nothing. Did the goblins eventually tear them from the skies as well?

Minor plot hole aside, this was an amazing story, and I registered for the sole purpose of having my (user)name in the same place as this masterpiece.

DS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: June 06, 2012, 10:15:11 pm »

What ever happened to those pterasuar devils that made it to the surface? You said one of them was taken down by a goblin siege, then nothing. Did the goblins eventually tear them from the skies as well?

Minor plot hole aside, this was an amazing story, and I registered for the sole purpose of having my (user)name in the same place as this masterpiece.

If I recall correctly, the rest of the pterosaur devils were also taken down by goblins at a later time. I probably neglected to post that bit of info because I didn't see it happen, and simply found the bodies on the slopes afterwards. Thanks for your appreciation.

For those who might be interested, I've begun my next project, though I can't say when I'll be ready to begin posting. Already, things are turning out to be fairly... dark. When I do post the thread, I'll probably put it in the Community Games and Stories forum.

DS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: July 09, 2015, 01:33:35 pm »

I'm not a huge fan of necroing threads, but in this case it seemed like a better alternative to starting an entirely new one. If I offend anyone with my forum necromancy, please forgive me.

I've gone through this thread and extracted the story (text and pictures) into this Google doc, which will serve as a lasting record of the tale in the event that something tragic happens to the original. I've made as few changes as possible in the copying, although I sometimes modified the wording to fit the context. When appropriate, I've included certain forumite comments and questions. I omitted the first-person tour, which I may extract and present at another time - probably as an imgur album. As a bonus, the entire story can now be saved in a concise, self-contained .html file!

So, there it is! Thanks to everyone who was there for the telling, it really was a great time.

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: July 10, 2015, 11:11:23 pm »

Just read the whole thing.

Wow.
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46