Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 46

Author Topic: The Saga of Weatherwires: Children of Dwarves (spoilers + image heavy)  (Read 154580 times)

DS

• Bay Watcher
  • DS cancels Attend Party: no floor space.
    • View Profile
Re: Weatherwires: Children of Dwarves/THE END IS NIGH (spoilers)
« Reply #510 on: December 21, 2011, 06:35:59 pm »

Based on the reactions to the pictures, I may have hit upon something. I've struggled throughout the rest of this thread with a proper portrayal of the dome a sense of scope from a dwarven point of view. Thus, before I finish up with the last couple chapters of the story (that's really all there is left... things are going to get pretty messy, pretty quickly) I'm going to post a POV tour of portions of the fortress - focusing on the exterior avenues that run between the buildings. I'm going to avoid including the inside of buildings in the tour for two reasons - one, they just don't look that good in the visualizer, and two, it will be much easier to visually follow an external view.

Also, for reference, I will include a DFMA map with POI where each picture was taken, for another level of reference.

Already, I've gone through and looked at parts of the dome that I never even thought to examine in the visualizer, from a very low, dwarf-eye perspective, and some of the results are quite intimidating.

Before I go ahead with this - were the previous Overseer screenshots too large? I can reformat them if people are having difficulty viewing them.
Finished: Weatherwires, the Last Mountainhome. A tragic mix of Children of Men, City of Ember, and, uh, magma.
Stymied: Correspondence from Syrupurns, a prematurely ended narrative, told through annual updates.
In Progress: Roomcarnage, a fortress clinging to life beneath a haunted glacier.

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
  • Listen to my album at www.oldschoolpoindexter.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: December 22, 2011, 02:19:58 am »

i had no problem with the size of the images.
are (Dare i ask) videos possible with this program you're using?
could we (no, no freakin way) possibly get a walking tour of this place?
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!

DS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: December 22, 2011, 03:44:30 pm »

Alright, I've got about 80 pictures to sift through, organize, and upload. Should I add a warning for the thread being image-heavy? Is that something people worry about anymore? More accurately, is that something people on this board would worry about?
Finished: Weatherwires, the Last Mountainhome. A tragic mix of Children of Men, City of Ember, and, uh, magma.
Stymied: Correspondence from Syrupurns, a prematurely ended narrative, told through annual updates.
In Progress: Roomcarnage, a fortress clinging to life beneath a haunted glacier.

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: December 22, 2011, 04:42:16 pm »

Yes, they'd worry 80 pictures isn't enough to correctly assess the epic awesomeness that is your fort.
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

DS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: December 22, 2011, 06:14:43 pm »

And here we go! I'll wait on uploading and annotating a map - for now, the pictures will probably be enough, I think.

Our tour starts as we approach from the southwest, across the Musty Field. From here, our path is fairly obvious - there is only one way into the fortress, and it is rather conspicuous.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It may not look very high, but this bridge has been the death of more dwarves than I care to count.

These are the only trees left outside. No vegetation larger than a shrub will grow in the Musty Field. It is a dead place.

Once, this corridor was heavily trapped. Now, it is bare, except for the piles of bone and rot that aren't shown in the visualizer.

For a long time, the trade depot occupied the spot where this screenshot was taken. You can clearly see the rim of the volcano, as well as the far side of the pillar-lined pathway that encircles the caldera. We will take a short walk around the volcano, so we can see the various negative spaces that have been dug out of the interior of the volcano.

What the visualizers does not render, however, is lava/magma. As we begin to walk clockwise around the caldera, you can see the carved out area what was once the dining hall (the walkway passes directly underneath it), but you can also see the top of the sealed passage - currently the only route into or out of the dome. Usually, it's covered with lava, and thus "sealed."

The dining hall was the first room to be excavated, and resulted in quite a bit of fun learning experience which was put to good use in the dome.

From the far side of the caldera, we can look back and see the entry hallway, 6 z-levels tall at the apex.

Also from this point, we can look up and see (with a little difficulty) the three ledges that comprise what was once the ducal suite. The highest is dug out of a layer of obsidian, which is rendered as a flat black color - thus it might be difficult to make out. Beyond the highest "room" is the duke's tomb.

From the dining hall area (which was seen in a previous image), we have a good view of the two excavated areas which lie just to the north of the main entrance. The lower area held most of the workshops before the dwarves withdrew from the surface. The upper area was the mayoral suite - like the duke's chambers, it was comprised of three ledges, exposed to the open air. However, the mayor's ledges were separated only by 1 z-level, and connected with ramps - the duke's were separated by 7, and connected with staircases.

...and a quick glance down reveals the walkway that leads from a chamber beneath the dining hall, into the sealed obsidian block pillar, and down into the dome. That's the next part of the tour - I'll have that posted in a little while.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 06:17:24 pm by DS »

DS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Even in the earliest planning stages of the dome, I wanted there to be some mechanism in place that would keep the entrance to the fortress sealed against all but the most determined enemies. To that end, I drained the top layers of the volcano and constructed a hollow tower made of obsidian blocks, leading from the upper fortress into a hewn passage to the dome.

There is a side passage off the south stretch of the pillar-lined passage. Beyond this is a low-ceilinged, engraved chamber.

In the chamber are dual stairwells which descend into magma. To any visitor to Weatherwires in the past few decades, this has been a dead end. However, at the pull of a lever, the volcano can be drained again, and the magma will recede low enough on the stairwell to provide access to a curious chamber.

This chamber looks odd in Overseer because all of those open spaces are covered with steel grates. The moment the magma recedes below the level of the grates, the passage becomes accessible without having to wait for a bunch of 1/7 magma to dry.

The passage out of the chamber leads to obsidian structure within the caldera. This passage is also built out of mostly masterwork steel grates. The entire passage can be made accessible in a matter of days - and just as quickly, the volcano naturally refills when the draining is stopped.

Walking across the grates would be nerve-wracking for any non-dwarf - if any non-dwarf had crossed the passage. If anyone stands here, it has been while lava roiled and surged mere feet below them, occasionally spurting a pillar of molten rock into the air - anyone familiar with volcanoes will recognize this phenomenon. These surges ignore the steel grates - although it hasn't happened yet, it is possible for an individual, while crossing the grates, to be immolated by a blast of lava.

This is the last view the dwarves had when they crossed the grates and entered into the darkness.

Of course, if you were to look down, you should see a line of steel grates, with a lake of churning magma immediately below. Instead, this is what's rendered:

At the end of the grates is the nether-cap door, Syrupsevers. It is encrusted with obsidian, decorated with nether-cap and encircled with bands of cat's eye, light yellow diamond and goblin bone. The door (presumably the non-magma side) menaces with spikes of black-cap, reindeer leather, and cave spider silk. On the door is an image of a diamond in diorite, possibly representing the unbreakable fortitude of the dwarves. It is a priceless artifact.

It is also, unfortunately, not rendered in Stoneseer.

Just beyond Syrupsever is a ramp that leads up - if, for whatever reason, something should lodge the door open, the magma will not clog the passage. All that Syrupsever does is ensure that there is no need to wait for magma to dry for the passage to be accessible.

We've passed the magma seal and are now inside the obsidian block structure. A single tile wide staircase leads down - although it looks inaccessible, steel grates connect the top of the stairs to the rest of the chamber.

Looking down the stairs, in the interior of the structure. This view, of course, would be obstructed by a masterfully crafted steel grate.

Here we are at the base of the stairs. The passage ahead leads out of the caldera and into the tunnel system.

The passage is long, and generally surrounded by magma - the heat must be devastating.

At the end of the passage is the blessed relief of cooler air, and a small chamber. To the right is the tunnel that leads to the duke's chambers, which have been sealed off from the upper fortress. Now, they are accessible only from this point - and thus, the rest of the dome.

To the left is a doorway which leads to the top of the next stairwell.

Once more - the top of the stairwell is made accessible by masterful steel grates. According to my stocks menu, I have over 300 steel grates - and the vast majority of them are used somewhere in the fortress.

The top of the staircase, looking down. It's gonna be a long climb, but at the end is the real goal of this tour - the dome of Weatherwires.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 11:33:41 pm by DS »

DS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

35 z-levels down, and finally we reach the landing.

After only a few paces, we reach the antechamber it seems empty in these pictures, but at this point in the fortress, it is filled with rows of obsidian coffins. Looking towards the passage beyond...

...and back towards the stairwell, from whence we came.

Then, the long hallway. Imagine the reaction of a visitor who, without prior knowledge or even speculation of the dome, enters into it for the first time.

Here we are! The central structure is the temple, first visible from inside the entrance tunnel, although it is also visible from nearly every other point in the dome. Atop the circular temple are a series of statues, representing each god that is worshiped in the Merchant of Echoing. It towers above the central mesa, which acts as a hub for the subterranean city. As well, it is connected via retractable bridges to Murdershot citadel, in the north of the dome.

To the south is the barracks. The actual structure itself is obscured behind many tall rock spires, but you can see part of the pathway that leads to it from the central mesa.

Looking down over the ledge, we can see the cavern floor, and part of the lower entrance to the barracks - in the early years of the dome, the only entrance to the city was via the barracks, which was populated with many legendary warriors, perpetually training. Now, there is but one warrior left, and other entrances have been carved -hose ramps are rarely used. To the right, much closer to our vantage point, is the primary entrance to the mesa. We stand at the top of a winding causeway which snakes down to that entrance.

The causeway itself isn't very picture-worthy up close, so we'll skip right to the bottom. Looking back up at the vantage point we just left:

The entrance to the mesa. Beyond these doors are stairs that lead up - more magma-proofing, dating back to a time when the dome could be flooded with magma at a whim.

This is the multi-tiered meeting area. Doorways and stairwells leading to various avenues or passages throughout the dome can be found here. Our path lies to the right - to the north.

Upon exiting the mesa, we are confronted by the imposing citadel which towers over the rest of the city. To the left is the entrance to the yellow and blue guildhall - mushroom trees atop this structure are selectively hewn to result in a grove of fungiwood and nether-cap. Directly ahead, a causeway leads up into the citadel, and a little to the right is a route that leads down to lower levels. This crossroads is decorated in-game with statues of six of the seven original founders, and thus is known as Founder's Square.

Our path lies to the right - through the mezzanine level of the red guildhall. The top of this structure is overgrown with goblin-cap and blood thorn.

The mezzanine is thick with fungi, 2 z-levels high, and lined with hewn pillars. Two stairwells are here - one leading down (in the foreground), and one up (further away).

Coming around the corner, the door we are about to go through comes into view.

But first, let's take a look between the pillars. From the mezzanine level, we can see the lower route that leads from Founder's Square. The passage beyond the doorway we are about to go through connects with this avenue.

And there, visible above and beyond the monolithic spires of rough-hewn stone, is the highest part of Murdershot citadel.

We move past the doorway and descend down a short passage to the street below.

DS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So, we descend into the street, and then dodge into a side passageway. We're making a quick detour into the northeastern mortuary. It's just through this passageway.

I decided we'd go this way, because this is one of the lowest points in the dome, but it is also wide open and immediately adjacent to the citadel, which is the highest point. The following two pictures are just the first instance where a structure is too large or viewed too closely to capture in a single snapshot. Also, bear in mind that the entire flat area is literally covered with coffins.

Back the other way, we can see how much lower we are than the mezzanine, where we just came from.

And now, back up to the avenue. Looking back, we see just how large the red guildhall is up close.

Now that we're back on the avenue, look east - that ramp leads to the lever room, where the myriad hatches and pumps of the fortress are controlled.

However, we are not going that way. We are heading west, through this passage - underneath the citadel.

This part of the path leads through a few of the massive monolithic spires that are adjacent to the citadel.

Have issues with vertigo? Worried about columns of poorly supported rock crashing down upon you? Don't look up.

This broad area is immediately underneath the citadel. To the left is the entrance to the water source, which itself is connected to various other passages within the city. Once, this part of the dome was always bustling. Now, it is almost always devoid of any dwarves.

And now, we're passing out from underneath the citadel, and into the open air of the dome.

...well, open air in the sense that you're no longer beneath hundreds of tons of solid rock. We're still surrounded by towering spires.

This happy orthoclase road leads ultimately back to the central mesa, if we follow it straight ahead. To the left is another entrance to the blue and yellow guildhall, and to the right is the aqua and pink guildhall - spore trees and tunnel tubes grow rampant atop this structure. A bit of the temple is visible through the canyons between buildings.

Instead of continuing straight, let us turn right, down this side street. If the dome was still populated by dwarves, this stretch of avenue would undoubtedly be the red light district - it is not often trod (there are more efficient routes, distance-wise), it is dark and cramped, running amidst a claustrophobic array of spires, and it is close to the noxious fumes of molten rock. For some dwarves, these conditions are desirable. For a visitor such as yourself... maybe not so much?
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 11:31:42 pm by DS »

DS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The alley leads underneath the aqua and pink guildhall, through a rough-hewn passage amidst molten rock fumes. If you hadn't gotten enough hints, the coffins lining the walkway might persuade you to try another route.

Very quickly, this street narrows and becomes cramped, with little air flow.

This section of the dome is exceptionally dangerous. Any dwarf who dodges an attack here who goes over the edge will be incinerated in the magma lake that lies immediately below.

Looking straight up.

Soon, we leave the claustrophobic alley and come into an open area between the aqua and pink guildhall and the next - this guildhall's colors are black and white (black-cap and tower-cap). Although it is not apparent in these pictures, the open spaces on either side of the causeway are filled with magma.

Passing through the archway into the southwestern mortuary. Also, filled with coffins.

From the mortuary, we can get a pretty good view at the barracks, which towers high in the east. The low passage underneath the spire immediately in front of us leads back up to the central mesa.

We won't go that route - instead, let's head up to the tops of the guildhalls. That road follows the edge of the dome, on the left there. From here, as well, we can see the mezzanine of the black and white guildhall.

And up we go!

As we pass by the mezzanine, go ahead and peek in - it's empty, of course. It used to have a zoo, featuring goblins and trolls. All the cages have been dumped in the volcano - with the goblins and trolls still inside.

We're gaining elevation quickly. To our right, you can catch a glimpse of the central mesa and the temple through the guildhalls. That's the other path, down below - once again, that open space should be full of magma.

At this height, the slope of the dome is much more apparent than it was in the coffin gardens.

Looking back at how far we've come.

And these are the last few ramps before we reach the top of the guildhalls!

DS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

There's a kind of garden here, where some water accidentally spilled during the flooding of the tops of the buildings. Even though they're not rendered, a few large fungi grow in this walkway, just below the top of the aqua and pink guildhall.

Almost there!

...ah! Finally, after that hard climb, we reach the top of the guildhall. Looking to the southeast, we have a great view of the temple - but we're about to get even closer.

To our left looms Murdershot citadel, and a bridge to the top of the yellow and blue guildhall. This is the route we are going to take on our way to the top of the red guildhall, in the distance.

As we walk south across the top of the yellow and blue guildhall, take a look at the top of the citadel. That open space is a statuary dedicated to the royal family. The top few layers were the queen's quarters - while she was still alive.

Here, at the south edge of the guildhall, we're so close to the temple you could almost reach out and touch it. I wouldn't recommend trying, though - it's a 17 z-level drop to the cavern floor. The top of the mesa (not pictured here, but it's been seen previously) is covered with statues of laboring dwarves, commemorating the founding of Weatherwires.

To our left is the bridge to the red guildhall. Beyond, you can also see the extrusion that marks the primary entrance to the dome, which we came through.

As we cross the bridge, look down into the space we're crossing over - it's Founder's Square! To the left is the avenue that leads to the citadel...

...and to the right is the low road, which we didn't take, but met joined with a little further on (you can see the spot in this picture, at the base of the red guildhall).

From here, atop the red guildhall, we can easily see the entrance to the dome, and part of the winding causeway that leads to the mesa.

It's just a short climb to the top of the guildhall, one of the highest points in the dome (excepting the temple and citadel, and portions of the barracks).

There is little else to see (from our current vantage point) that we haven't already taken a look at. Here is the low road leading from Founder's Square:

The rest of the top of the red guildhall, which is accessible through other passages (Oh, and those spaces around the stair? Steel grates.):

A look down into the northeastern mortuary:

And that's it! I hope you guys enjoyed it, and my apologies for anyone's computer who gets wrecked trying to load all this pictures.  :D

Epithemius

• Bay Watcher
  • [AFTERTHOUGHT:100]
    • View Profile

How high is your wealth? It must be astronomical, considering the amount of STUFF in that fort.

DS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Not really, just over 50 million dwarf bucks. People have reached quite a bit more than that, and in far less than a hundred years.

Endiqua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That was fascinating!  Thanks for taking the time to create and post all those images!!
DF sets out a challenge to us with no explanation and no assistance, and each time we fail it becomes more merciless, but we continue in the hopes that we can show it, "See?  I'm doing good, right?  I kept the little men alive!  You're proud of me, right?"

Madventurer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Wow. This is so epic that I must wonder if you quit real life just to narrate this awesome story. So many pictures that I can't even watch all of them in one time. Damn awesome.
Then he made grudge wit about 20 other dwarfs (still don't know why - perhaps they were stealing his chair).

DS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Quit real life? No... I just had some free time yesterday. A lot of free time.

Story will continue soon, though I think I'll wait to let the tour get some more exposure. There were a few points where I was going through in the visualizer, and then noticed something totally strange or interesting that I had no idea existed (or at least, looked totally different than my conception while playing DF). For example, I personally find the views from the coffin gardens to be spectacular - it's basically all aesthetics, though, which are ultimately subjective depending on one's taste. Everyone has different aesthetic sensibilities, so I tried to capture a variety of different architectures, intentionally dug or not, even if I didn't personally find them to be pleasing.

I'm interested as to what parts of the tour people enjoyed most?
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 46