Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Mini-Planepacked?  (Read 8683 times)

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Mini-Planepacked?
« on: September 16, 2011, 11:15:35 pm »

I've had this siltstone floodgate as the final floodgate that lets the water into my drowning chamber, killing caged goblins and trolls for about 25 in game years. This is the first time I've actually looked at the details on it, and what I found surprised me.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

First I thought I got planepacked in some way, but I wasn't using any burrows at the time that artifact was created.

Are there occasional rare artifacts that have insanely long details like this or is this some form of a planepacked bug?
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
Re: Mini-Planepacked?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2011, 12:16:45 am »

Is this the only page? If not, then...

We have to go deeper.

Seriously, though, the only way I know how to do this without using burrows is to do it manually by forbidding the items as the dwarf brings them to the workshop, thus making the dwarf go out and find a replacement, and unforbidding the material you just forbade so that the dwarf uses it again. But it's impossible to do that on accident.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

The Master

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2011, 12:17:20 am »

I believe you have come across evidence to suggest that planepacked can happen without burrows. I'm linking this to the wiki ASAP.
EDIT: done.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 12:21:10 am by The Master »
Holy jesus I thought I was ready but nothing could have prepared me for this
Hush, little Asea, don't you cry.
If he notices we'll surely die!
You. Made. Asea. CRY.

Aiur

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2011, 01:09:04 am »

Plainpacked originally happened without burrows. It was from 40d. The bug was caused by the workshop claimed being outside when a "Dwarfs Never go Outside" order was in effect. I haven't tried it in 31.25, but it is reasonable to assume that hasn't changed much.

Corneria

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN:ACCEPTABLE][TRESPASSING:SHUN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2011, 01:15:29 am »

Plainpacked originally happened without burrows. It was from 40d. The bug was caused by the workshop claimed being outside when a "Dwarfs Never go Outside" order was in effect. I haven't tried it in 31.25, but it is reasonable to assume that hasn't changed much.
That function is essentially the same as burrows, hence why it can be repeated with them.
Oh yeah: Nazis.  Now I lost the argument.  So you can't argue with me anymore.  Nyah.

The Master

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2011, 02:00:28 am »

Plainpacked originally happened without burrows. It was from 40d. The bug was caused by the workshop claimed being outside when a "Dwarfs Never go Outside" order was in effect.
Whoops, I guess I better do my research better next time! :-[
Holy jesus I thought I was ready but nothing could have prepared me for this
Hush, little Asea, don't you cry.
If he notices we'll surely die!
You. Made. Asea. CRY.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2011, 05:19:01 am »

what is planepacked?
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Boost One

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2011, 05:28:16 am »

It's on the wiki - an artifact created with a bug depicting the entire history of the world.

elf-fondling human

• Bay Watcher
  • 4-d ftw
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2011, 09:30:13 am »

It also had a large number of carvings of cheese, iirc, as well as a bajillion carvings of itself.
That didn't last long, huh? Shame, cause binary's cool. Anyway, an important message: I will be changing my names on every username based thing I use to ASCIt on/around 10/1. Consolidating, I guess you could say.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2011, 11:09:51 am »

It also had a large number of carvings of cheese, iirc, as well as a bajillion carvings of itself.
You recall incorrectly - Planepacked had zero carvings of cheese on it, and only 73 images of itself.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

elf-fondling human

• Bay Watcher
  • 4-d ftw
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2011, 12:15:52 pm »

You recall incorrectly - Planepacked had zero carvings of cheese on it, and only 73 images of itself.

Oh. Sorry 'bout that.
That didn't last long, huh? Shame, cause binary's cool. Anyway, an important message: I will be changing my names on every username based thing I use to ASCIt on/around 10/1. Consolidating, I guess you could say.

Corneria

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN:ACCEPTABLE][TRESPASSING:SHUN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2011, 12:27:21 pm »

I imagine the cheese engravings were mentioned because of Boatmurdered.
Oh yeah: Nazis.  Now I lost the argument.  So you can't argue with me anymore.  Nyah.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2011, 12:46:04 pm »

I guess this is as good a time as any to see if we can necro this project: Rendering Planepacked.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=40925.msg724765#msg724765

It still has a long way to go, and we still need to determine what it, itself, looks like before we can get to work on it's recursive imagery plastered all over it.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2011, 01:40:11 pm »

I guess this is as good a time as any to see if we can necro this
Magma?
I guess this is as good a time as any to see if we can necro this project: Rendering Planepacked.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=40925.msg724765#msg724765

It still has a long way to go, and we still need to determine what it, itself, looks like before we can get to work on it's recursive imagery plastered all over it.
Ah. Yes, that will take a long long long long long time.

Eddren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2011, 02:35:19 pm »

I always imagined that Planepacked actually had all of its engravings at normal size.
But the trick is, there are engravings inside the engravings.
And inside those engravings are more engravings.
Until eventually, what you end up with, is a monstrosity of artwork; a thing that grinds the minds of men, women, and children, into a slow, maddening spiral of self-loathing and cheese-obsession.
Ah, my dwarven heart beats with fierce pride for this.  I can't take it anymore!  I have to go do something profound.