Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Making soldiers happy  (Read 3719 times)

PijanySmok

• Bay Watcher
  • For mother Celestia, THIS IS PONYVILLE!
    • View Profile
Re: Making soldiers happy
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2011, 03:56:53 pm »

If you want your marksdwarves to reach very high levels in a short amount of time, here's what you do. First capture a forgotten beast using a retractable bridge over a room with fortifications carved into the wall. Here's an example: http://mkv25.net/dfma/poi-25473-bloodforthebloodgod

Then make a bunch of wooden bolts and station your marksdwarves by the fortifications. If you're lucky the FB will be made out of rock or iron or something equally hard.

Thanks was a bit of spoiler but when I think I'm ready to explore caverns I will do that.

By the way, I just captured a grizzly bear and tamed it, how can I use it in my army? Can it be assigned to soldiers? xD If I leave it in zone with other animals, will they eat each other? xD

Sorry, didn't realize FBs were spoilers. They tend to show up whether you've explored caverns or not, they just can't get into your fortress if you seal the caverns off.

Grizzly bears can be trained into war bears at the same place you tamed them. After that you can assign them to soldiers. Tamed animals don't eat eachother but they may start fighting if it starts getting crowded. I never had this problem with predatory animals but horses tend to get a bit rowdy. My guess is they're fighting over grass. Currently tamed predatory animals like grizzlies don't require food.

So you say they are trainable in kennels. I have tried, there is only "train war dog" and when I try it it says "unable to train war animal: no creature". Is that because my grizzly bear is zoned?
Why my pic doesn't work?

Check me or pm me there if you want something:
http://www.youtube.com/user/SmokNiszczyciel

To all ponies: let's take control over the world!

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2011, 04:17:53 pm »

It could be. Pens and animals are still a bit quirky. It's probably best to leave all your predatory animals roaming around or just cage them if there are too many.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2011, 07:51:18 pm »

Your trainable animals need to be uncaged and either unpastured or in a pasture containing the kennel used for training.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Duntada Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2011, 01:04:05 am »

One thing about the archery targets. I used to have a problem with only a couple shooters training at a time out of over a dozen that need it.

If you build multiple targets and assign them to be used pretty much everyone will go shooting all the time. I guess only so many can use one target at a time.

Now if I could just get my elite marksdwarfs to actually shoot in this latest update.
Girlinhat: The biggest issue seems to be size.  A 1x1 room would allow for maximum child desecration.

Azure

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2011, 05:33:03 am »

Use tame large creature to make the bear a pet then train war animal. If that doesn't work, make sure its raws have pet and trainable.

For happy soldier hobos give them VERY nice personal bedrooms, a legendary dining hall, exceptional/masterwork roasts, quality booze. That will keep them pretty happy without resorting to other more difficult and/or dangerous methods.

MadocComadrin

• Bay Watcher
  • A mysterious laboratory goblin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2011, 10:03:20 am »

I find the old 1-month break every 3 months keeps soldiers happy until they're vets. Then I put them on full-time.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2011, 01:48:45 pm »

For happy soldier hobos give them VERY nice personal bedrooms, a legendary dining hall, exceptional/masterwork roasts, quality booze.
Active soldiers don't take their meals to the dining room and good thoughts about booze are random and based on only preferences, so those don't matter. Bedroom quality is the only thing you can fully control.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Nan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2011, 09:31:12 pm »

Happy thoughts for eating a good meal are pretty reliable too. Invest in a cook.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2011, 11:02:21 am »

Just make sure your Dwarves have plenty of people to kill. Hey, they'll only be ecstatic for as many people they kill for a while though, and they'll soon become purely content.

AND NOT GIVE A CRAP ABOUT DEATH.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2011, 11:21:18 am »

For happy soldier hobos give them VERY nice personal bedrooms, a legendary dining hall, exceptional/masterwork roasts, quality booze.
Active soldiers don't take their meals to the dining room and good thoughts about booze are random and based on only preferences, so those don't matter. Bedroom quality is the only thing you can fully control.
Actually, if the barracks area is nicely smoothed/engraved the sight of all those nice decorations while they spar/learn helps as well.  Having nice bedrooms and a break every third or fourth month helps more, of course.

[edit] durn typos
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 11:43:57 am by krenshala »
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2011, 11:26:31 am »

Masterwork statues and doors, everywhere.

blaize9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Blaizecraft
« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2011, 03:03:55 am »

If you want your marksdwarves to reach very high levels in a short amount of time, here's what you do. First capture a forgotten beast using a retractable bridge over a room with fortifications carved into the wall. Here's an example: http://mkv25.net/dfma/poi-25473-bloodforthebloodgod

Then make a bunch of wooden bolts and station your marksdwarves by the fortifications. If you're lucky the FB will be made out of rock or iron or something equally hard.
So let me get this strait, when the bridge is down it allows then to get into the area with the donkey then you pull the lever to raise the bridge thus trapping them inside?
Pages: 1 [2]