Bogshire (Blue guys)
- 5 (6.8%)
Stonemeadow (Orange guys)
- 26 (35.6%)
We gonna stick it out on our own!
- 42 (57.5%)

Total Members Voted: 73

Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 73

Author Topic: Build a village: A New Hope  (Read 143577 times)

RulerOfNothing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Build a village: A New Hope
« Reply #390 on: September 22, 2011, 07:12:48 am »

6 spears can only add up to 3.6 yl (if we sell the fire-hardened ones).
I agree that we should get some cloth and oil, but I also think we should get a saw.
This adds up to 7 yl.
If we sell 7 of our fire-hardened spears, we get 4.2 yl, and can make up the remaining 2.8yl by selling 7 wooden spears.
So buy 2 cloth, 2 oil and a saw with 7 fire-hardened and 7 regular spears

Hitty40

• Bay Watcher
  • Poker face, motherfucker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: September 22, 2011, 07:13:48 am »

Buy the sword, shield and waraxe also.
Ho Ho Ho! I'm going to be sticking economic stone so far up your stockings, you'll be coughing up gemstone windows!
You see, when the devil comes on to your forums and begins dropping F bombs and shouts 'GIVE ALL YOUR WOMEN!', he's in a happy mood.
if there's lots of g's and z's, it's gobbo. If you don't really recognize it, it's human. if it's called Urist, it's dwarf.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: September 22, 2011, 07:15:14 am »

I say get a Saw and another Hatchet for Woodworking...
Sell spears for these...

Also. Perhaps getting one Sword would keep them safe...
Perhaps selling fish for these. We can always fish for more...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Evil Lincoln

• Bay Watcher
  • Is non-inflammable
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: September 22, 2011, 07:26:02 am »

I'm considering moving to health system for combat, this would make things easier for me because it would take some of the guesswork out of combat. I'd still let you do things like rolling logs over slimes but for larger enemies it'd be nicer if they had a healthbar. (Part of the reason the stickman died so fast was because I couldn't think of a way to convey the damage with the pictures being so small. In the case of a health system i'd probabley tend to do quicker/multpanel updates for the little fights so it doesn't take forever and i might be able to do some corny final fantasy style fight animations.(I think it's final fantasy, never have played the games myself)

I'd like to know what you all think of this.

Edit: On the trading, most of the stuff you have now is fairly easy to obtain in the environment (like fish and spears) so don't be afraid to go a bit crazy when it comes to selling things like that.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 07:29:47 am by Evil Lincoln »

RulerOfNothing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: September 22, 2011, 07:28:57 am »

If it makes combat easier for you Evil Lincoln, I'm all for it.

Evil Lincoln

• Bay Watcher
  • Is non-inflammable
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: September 22, 2011, 07:42:01 am »

Still on the topic of game mechanics, in the last update the merchant said he could direct "buisnessmen" towards you. I was thinking it woudl happen something like this: You request that the merchant sends some brick workers your way. A day later a group of brickworkers would turn up and be looking for work, you could then pay them to build a wall or make bricks. With smaller groups of less skilled workers you would be able to pay them with food, shelter and protection. But for the larger groups (say a Taskmaster comes with his group of clayworkers) He would request currency instead. If you have an inn then those workers would prefer to stay in your village, but if you diddn't have one they would walk to the next village over and seek acomodation there. Having an inn in your town means that the workers don't have to trudge from the next village everyday so they would be able to work more. (more work for your money) Plus having an inn could attract travelers and provide income.

You could also sell/rent houses to people and they would become permernant residents(they might move away if things get a little to crazy), these people wouldn't be under your direct control but you would be able to hire them to do things. Renting villagers would be more preferable to those who own their homes because they would be paying you, for example: You rent out a shop to a blacksmith, he sells things to the villagers (or travelers) and then he pays you rent. you could also have things like factories where you have several people employed to make shoes and you sell the shoes for a higher price then it took to create them, thus making a profit.

I guess this all leads into hiring a town militia, the more prosperous your village is the better equiped your militia can be. Then you can use that militia to defend the town or maybe even more sinister things like extortion of maybe even raiding parties (although that might make people a bit upset).

All of this means that once your village gets large enough your core villagers become more like the local council or the industrial barons rather then being the residents of the town.

Edit: ok that turned into more of a rant on how having a large town is going to work.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 07:51:01 am by Evil Lincoln »

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: September 22, 2011, 08:06:22 am »

>Henceforth, the currency shall be known as the Yollar.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

RulerOfNothing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: September 22, 2011, 08:16:21 am »

>Henceforth, the currency shall be known as the Yollar.
That works. Also how much oil and cloth is the trader carrying?

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: September 22, 2011, 08:44:54 am »

I think we should sell most of our food as well, and buy a couple more axes. It not like we cannot just hunt for some more.

Sell 10 Rolphins pieces for two axes. Also ask the trader for some slime-slaying advice.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Roboboy33

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENJOYING_CATS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: September 22, 2011, 09:26:44 am »

We should just get a saw, It would help us get better defences and living areas. Sell the spears for it.
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

SHUT UP AND ENJOY THE CATS

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #400 on: September 22, 2011, 10:47:05 am »

Or, in true DF tradition, we could kill the shit out of the trader and take his stuff.

But that would be evil.

I think we should get the saw and another axe, to speed up our construction process. The axe can double as a weapon.

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: September 22, 2011, 11:12:40 am »

I don't care what you sell, but please, buy rope.
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

Roboboy33

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENJOYING_CATS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: September 22, 2011, 11:41:01 am »

I think we should get the saw and another axe, to speed up our construction process. The axe can double as a weapon.
+1

SHUT UP AND ENJOY THE CATS

[Cookie]

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: September 22, 2011, 11:52:19 am »

+1
+1
We can make some planks with the saw and we can make some buildings with the planks.
(Unless we make a log cabin?)
http://fatsam30.minitroopers.com <---
Go here to help my army
please

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: September 22, 2011, 02:38:27 pm »

+1
+1
We can make some planks with the saw and we can make some buildings with the planks.
(Unless we make a log cabin?)
This, and Sell 10 Rolphin Pieces, and 6 Spears to earn some currency. Also request the merchant to send some of those who have no home in our direction as long as they aren't criminals.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 73