Bogshire (Blue guys)
- 5 (6.8%)
Stonemeadow (Orange guys)
- 26 (35.6%)
We gonna stick it out on our own!
- 42 (57.5%)

Total Members Voted: 73

Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 73

Author Topic: Build a village: A New Hope  (Read 143668 times)

Hitty40

• Bay Watcher
  • Poker face, motherfucker.
    • View Profile
Re: Build a village: A New Hope
« Reply #630 on: September 25, 2011, 08:16:28 am »

Admire the Stickman hidden in the trees.
Ho Ho Ho! I'm going to be sticking economic stone so far up your stockings, you'll be coughing up gemstone windows!
You see, when the devil comes on to your forums and begins dropping F bombs and shouts 'GIVE ALL YOUR WOMEN!', he's in a happy mood.
if there's lots of g's and z's, it's gobbo. If you don't really recognize it, it's human. if it's called Urist, it's dwarf.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: September 25, 2011, 08:19:42 am »

Yeah, moving the lag first is best. We cannot extand the wall much with earth anyway.
Actually we have tons of dirt Lincoln just put it off screen, so as not to put to much on the picture.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: September 25, 2011, 08:25:42 am »

No, I meant that we don't have the time to expand it much before nightfall.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: September 25, 2011, 08:29:00 am »

No, I meant that we don't have the time to expand it much before nightfall.
Oh, sorry about that, but yeah we should move the logs inside, and use them to extend, and make an impromptu wall

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: September 25, 2011, 08:35:41 am »

We should throw up so mine dirt walls near the logs in the village and take down that bridge for tonight.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

Roboboy33

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENJOYING_CATS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: September 25, 2011, 09:00:03 am »

Wouldnt they need nails to create structures?
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

SHUT UP AND ENJOY THE CATS

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Jiokuy

• Bay Watcher
  • Morning comes whether you set the alarm or not
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: September 25, 2011, 09:13:39 am »

Build more sentry fires / light the campfire / cook the rolphin

Monkeyfacedprickleback

• Bay Watcher
  • Sweet flaming monkey fire WHY are they doing that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: September 25, 2011, 10:51:45 am »

I like how dirt paths are starting to form where the chromies have been walking.

Alternatecash

• Bay Watcher
  • PREFSTRING: [flammable head]
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: September 25, 2011, 12:42:01 pm »

Wouldnt they need nails to create structures?
No. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mortise_and_tenon
Ready the spears. It's going to be a long night.
Explore a half-ruined facility and play with dangerous
mutagens in my forum game.
It's back! A bit. Seriously, jump in.

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: September 25, 2011, 12:48:50 pm »

Walls should be made out of the strongest material in my opinion. Because if something can break down a wall wall made out of our strongest material, NOTHING ELSE WILL STOP IT.

Weigh the benefits with the costs. How much of that brick wall could we have finished with our limited manpower and resources, how much more defensible would that actually have made our encampment, and how far back would using those bricks, which could be used for something else down the line put us?
Enough to finish our bricks. The usage of the bricks would make a section of the wall basically impenetrable compared to the rest. The use of those bricks would've put us back a short amount of time: A day or so. We've got two brickmakers, after all.

First of all, 64 regular-sized little bricks? Anything with the intelligence of a house spider would just walk around them if we stacked them all in one place, and if we distributed them evenly around the perimeter we'd have something less effective than the dirt or logs. Thus, for tonight, dirt and logs are the best possible fortification and the best use of our time. They go up easy, they come down easy, and they're reusable. Stacking those bricks now would be like building investing in a missile silo in the 1850s.
Yes, they would walk around it. WHICH IS A GOOD THING BECAUSE THEY WOULDN'T ATTACK THAT PART OF THE WALL. I did not say we should make a wall out of bricks TONIGHT, I said we should make PART of the wall tonight.

And it's not like investing in 1850. It's like investing in, say, 1940s. It's not like a day is over 90 years or something. What we do tonight will speed up the process tomorrow and later, which is hardly far away.

Also, not using the bricks and then using wood would waste time because you'd have to remove the wood before you can put in the bricks. Not much time, but... just saying.

Furthermore, what kind of enemies will we be facing that bricks will be more effective than an equally tall (actually taller) barrier of dirt and logs?
Beaver-like creatures can eat out the wood, any creatures with paws, or any kind of hand can slowly dig out the dirt. Sharp axelike limbs may also get through logs.

You'd have to have a goddamn strong creature to dig through bricks.

Unless the GM throws some building-destroyers at us (which I admit is a legitimate concern) what is more important than the strength of the material is the defensive advantage, e.g. higher ground, distance, and impairment of the enemies' mobility.
Okay... So what's stopping us from building a raised brick wall?

But then, we seem to have a different understanding of just how useful 64 mud bricks will be. How high and how long of a wall would you say we could raise from those?
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: September 25, 2011, 12:53:04 pm »

not very long. i suggested to put bricks around dirt, for extra width using less bricks.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: September 25, 2011, 01:00:18 pm »

>Devise another sleep schedule for tonight. Half sleep until midnight, then the other half sleep.

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: September 25, 2011, 01:50:02 pm »

Weren't one of those slimes quite viscous and flammable? If so, have one of the wall-builders use the slime and some of the branches lying around to prepare as many torches as possible. Conserve these until enemies with fire allergies draw near to camp.

And dig that moat, Chloe! Oh yeah... just like that.
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: September 25, 2011, 02:05:15 pm »

But then, we seem to have a different understanding of just how useful 64 mud bricks will be. How high and how long of a wall would you say we could raise from those?
If I had to imagine it, it takes 6 to get as tall as a Chrome...

And two wide to be as wide as a Chrome...

That's 5 1/3 Chromes wide walls there. It may not sound like much, but every bit counts in a big way. It's like, having a another table in a barricade.

And it's not the size that matters, dude. It's saving time for later and making a part of the wall tougher than the rest.

But whatever, I give up. No one will listen. When something that can break through dirt and wood comes along the only thing I'll be thinking is "Well, no one can blame me at least".
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: September 25, 2011, 02:12:48 pm »

We don't need a big wall just mabye one half the size of a chrome to slow them down and stop smaller enemies.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 73