Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Underground farming  (Read 1590 times)

Neopergoss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Underground farming
« on: June 22, 2007, 05:19:00 pm »

Hi, everyone.  I'm new to posting on these forums, although I've already read a lot of the future thread, so I know many of you, even if you don't know me  ;)

I was just wondering...how are these dwarves growing crops inside of their underground caves?  I know that mushrooms don't need much light.  I imagine that the dwarves use torchlight or something to see, and that might be enough for fungi.  But you can't make clothes out of them...can you?!

Could it be that crops can be grown with only torchlight?  Or is it something much simpler that I'm missing?  Any ideas?

A: brb
B: what does "brb" mean?
A: be right back
B: (aww...why do they always leave whenever I ask them that?)

herrbdog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Underground farming
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2007, 05:51:00 pm »

I just assume the plants use the energy from gamma rays and ambient heat to grow.

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2007, 05:54:00 pm »

Or dwarf manure emits broad-spectrum light. Take your pick, and try not to shudder at the fact that -all- the caves are currently illuminated.  ;)
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

Core Xii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2007, 03:18:00 am »

There's life deep within Earth that survives with nothing but heat and minerals... so don't question mushrooms growing in caves.
Reality is for people who lack imagination

Jothki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2007, 02:54:00 pm »

What about wheat growing in caves, though?

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2007, 02:56:00 pm »

It is wheat shaped fungus.

PNB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2007, 03:14:00 pm »

ITS ALL FUNGI! dwarves are masters at mushroom manufactoring!
HY DO THE DOGS KEEP EXPLODING?

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2007, 06:31:00 pm »

its been well established that all life in the game is fungal, which is how they all reproduce via spores at a distance.

Narushima

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2007, 12:37:00 pm »

Guys, this game is about little bearded people, dragons, goblins and whatnot. Is it that important to know how plants grow without light ?

Core Xii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2007, 02:28:00 pm »

As far as I know, fungi are not plants. Besides, as I said, there's stuff down there that don't rely on photosynthesis but heat and minerals.
Reality is for people who lack imagination
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2007, 02:45:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Narushima:
<STRONG>Guys, this game is about little bearded people, dragons, goblins and whatnot. Is it that important to know how plants grow without light ?</STRONG>

Anywhere else, you would have a point. However, this is Dwarf Fort. By the time this is past beta-testing it'll be more reliable than an average university physics emulator.

-Albert

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2007, 05:05:00 pm »

Keep in mind, in the current version of the game without modifying the RAWs, you can no longer be attacked by magma men, because the heat they give off is enough to melt stone, and they are made of stone, and so they melt to death as soon as they spawn.  Magic, of course, will make magma men possible again, but until then... physics says they melt, so they melt, and there is no magic yet.

That's the kind of realism we get in this game, and it happened by ACCIDENT when temperature was added.  Since we have this amount of realism, it's perfectly natural to demand to know how the plants grow without light.  The answer?  We don't know.  Something about cave adaptation.

Perhaps a future version of the game will remove all non-fungal plantlife from indoors?  Or even require light shafts to be dug to provide the light that is needed?  Hard to say, but I wouldn't doubt it.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2007, 05:35:00 pm »

youre not paying attention.  there IS NO non-fungal life in the game.

little purrey shrooms.  giant stompy shrooms.  squat bearded shrooms.  eatable shrooms.  brewable shrooms.  millable shrooms.  shelled shrooms.  boney shrooms.  theyre all effing shrooms.

its like.. like all the wierd indiginous fungal life in SMAC.  just imagine Toady's Dwarf Fortress: Alpha Centuari.  just watch out for Sid Meyer's laywers.

Faces of Mu

• Bay Watcher
  • I once saw a baby ghost...but it was just a tissue
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2007, 09:21:00 pm »

LOL at shrooms!

I remember how in Exile (did anyone ever play that game? LOVED IT!) the caves were lit by glowing fungi on the ceiling of the cave.

Another possibility: The cave river has light reflecting through it from an overland opening and hence the light gets to farm plots when ever water does.

Slanted

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2007, 03:08:00 am »

Mushrooms and fungus grow in the absence of light. And I kind of always assumed the Dwarves were kind of just comparing the fungusy junk they grow to actual food ("It's hard, and kind of round, and grows on rocks. It's a rock nut").

quote:
its like.. like all the wierd indiginous fungal life in SMAC. just imagine Toady's Dwarf Fortress: Alpha Centuari. just watch out for Sid Meyer's laywers.  

I am all for this. Instead of complaining about how about elephants stomped our dwarves to death, we'll be complaining about how mind-worms bored into their skulls and laid eggs.

[ June 28, 2007: Message edited by: Slanted ]

Pages: [1] 2