Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Whips are still obscene.  (Read 1531 times)

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
Whips are still obscene.
« on: September 23, 2011, 12:38:56 am »

A full candy-clad legendary warrior should not be able to be killed by a no-name goblin with a whip.  It's just ridiculous.

I'm going to be honest and admit I have no problem scavenging when stupid impossible stuff like that happens.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

Deimos56

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: unicorpion]
    • View Profile
Re: Whips are still obscene.
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2011, 12:52:55 am »

Well, see, you aren't thinking about it the right way.

You need to counteract the problem by getting yourself a candy whip!

In all seriousness though, even though none of the whips are leather, they still have pretty ridiculous power.
Probably something to do with their very low contact area.
I'm curious what the barely conscious ai wrote about.
Well that went better than expected.  He went nuts and punched a rabbit to death, then the dogs and the whole dining hall ripped him to shreds.

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2011, 12:55:19 am »

Whips (not scourges) are blunt weapons, which I believe means that they essentially ignore your armor.  It also means a candy whip would be useless (but a candy scourge, which is an edge weapon, might be awesome)
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2011, 01:06:54 am »

must...  make... slade... whip...
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2011, 04:29:46 pm »

Yeah, with the current combat mechanics whips do not work as intended... They should also be used to make people drop weapons and knock them down from 2+ tiles, not for melee. DF cannot allow that, so I had to replace them with halberds as a new skill.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

CriticallyAshamed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2011, 08:23:35 am »

Reminds me of when I added in -really- dense metals and tested their weapon qualities in the arena. Whips were most delicious.